News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

The Most Intimidating First Tee Shot in Golf
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
Over on another thread, we tangentially started to talk about the most intimidating opening shot in golf.  I'd guess Augusta or St. Andrews.  Of holes I've played, I'd say Tobacco Road or Royal New Kent on the public side, maybe WFW on the Private side, (you don't want to have to take the proffered Mulligan)...your thought?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tom Birkert

Re: The Most Intimidating First Tee Shot in Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:27:54 PM »
Merion got my heartbeat racing a bit...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »
Jay,

Good to see you back.

I always thought it was Merion East, where you could duck hook one into some ladies forehead.

Or maybe it was whatever course it was where a player whiffed his first shot, turned to his partners and said "They were right, this IS a tough course!"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

J Sadowsky

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »
Over on another thread, we tangentially started to talk about the most intimidating opening shot in golf.  I'd guess Augusta or St. Andrews.  Of holes I've played, I'd say Tobacco Road or Royal New Kent on the public side, maybe WFW on the Private side, (you don't want to have to take the proffered Mulligan)...your thought?

Both Augusta and St. Andrews's first shot is tactically tame - it would only be the history of the places that would make them intimidating.  Royal New Kent is visually a hell of an opening shot, I agree, but it's really not that difficult as long as you're not extremely errant.  Tobacco Road I've never played, but I hear it is the same way -looks impossible but opens to a very wide fairway.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »
Justin, have you got any horse in this race?  Any suggestions?  Good to see you...you too Jeff Brauer:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mark Woodger

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »

Or maybe it was whatever course it was where a player whiffed his first shot, turned to his partners and said "They were right, this IS a tough course!"

hahahahah. brilliant!  :D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 01:43:48 PM »
Prestwick gets my vote from a golf perspective as do most courses without a nearby range to warm up on.

Merion, Riviera and other course where you're "ON DISPLAY" can be very intimidating

Tom McGurn

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »
While not that intimidating, the opening shot at Bullybunion Old is unique with the cemetary lurking on the right.  

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
For me it is any course with tight OB left with a road boundary or houses!   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
For high handicappers, I think Black Mesa takes the cakes.

My personal choice is Olympic-Lake. I managed to hit a very long drive with a hint of fade (before topping my second  >:( ) during my only round there.  Still, although it's not the tightest tee shot on the course by any stretch, the combined challenges of the watching pro shop watching, the trees bordering the fairway, and the fairway contours requiring precise placement for anyone hoping to reach the green in two, I find the shot very intimidating. Missing into the trees equals instant death.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »
Kyle -- not from the 5100 yard tees....

My personal nominations would be Merion and WFW -- Merion because, as a left-hander, I'm looking right at the members having lunch; and WFW because there were about 44 guys waiting around to tee off after us.  (My first round at Merion I hit a solid 3-wood -- what a relief.  I then absolutely laid the sod over a SW, pulled out the putter, hit it to about 8 feet from 80 yards or so, and made the putt.  My host (friend's dad) was stunned....) 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
The opening tee shot at the Greenbrier's Old White course is pretty intimidating.  You hit from right next to a patio area and the tennis courts, where people are often milling about.

Another interesting opening shot is found at Mancheser CC in Manchester, CT.  Even though the first hole is only about 320 and demands only a 5 wood or so off the tee, it is somewhat blind and the Manchester Reservoir creeps in on the left.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

Chris Cupit

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
For me it's hands down the first hole at Royal Liverpool.  Not the first hole as played in the Open a few years ago but the "original" first hole with tall grass and OB left as well as the cops hard along the right and extending right up next to the green!  The wind also blows into you pretty hard as well.

TOC--history for sure but a pretty tame first shot
ANGC-VERY difficult shot on a brutally tough hole now.  I'm not sure I agree with  the statement that tactically it is not much of a shot.  If we are talking about intimidating then the psychological factor plays a clear role and ANGC has that in spades on the first tee combined with a really hard shot.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
The opening tee shot at the Greenbrier's Old White course is pretty intimidating.  You hit from right next to a patio area and the tennis courts, where people are often milling about.

Tim, I was going to say Old White due to the crowd factor. Trying to plan our 3rd private course around a simillar setting/atmosphere but with a little more spectacular view.

Looks like Old White #1 has a lost a big tree down in the driving area on the right. Used to make it rather uncomfortable trying to shape my then pronounced draw into that fairway on the opening shot of the State Am.

There is a place near Orlando called Orangel Lake... 27 holes and one of the 9's has the absolute tightest opening tee shot I have ever seen. a ribbon of mushy turf about 30 yards wide with good ole FLA swampland on either side. Played a few mini tour events there and absolutely hated the opening tee shot, and I am pretty darn accurate with the driver.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
For me it's hands down the first hole at Royal Liverpool.  Not the first hole as played in the Open a few years ago but the "original" first hole with tall grass and OB left as well as the cops hard along the right and extending right up next to the green!  The wind also blows into you pretty hard as well.

I've only played this hole as #3 (2006 Buda Cup) but I agree with Chris, that is one butt puckering tee shot.

My personal most intimidating was Cypress Point, because my usual early morning tee ball miss is low left.  All I could think of was "slow full turn and stay down.  Do NOT hit that f@#&%g hedge!"

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
There's always a gallery at Pebble.  I've always thought that mentally, this one was the hardest.  JC 

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »
Hedge! Hell, it's the BMW or the cyclist that I'm thinking about. Timing your shot at Cypress No. 1 requires knowing the 17 Mile tour bus schedule and a host of other awareness-es.

I agree that this will nearly always be the "on display" shot rather than the difficulty. The water carry is so rarely seen in openers that I cannot even think of one at the moment.

St. Andrews gets my vote.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »
Painswick

Making the 5 yard carry from the tips over the road and hitting he 100 yard wide fairway is simple, but wondering if you are going to survive the 23 degree vertical climb to the first green can be  very intimidating....

Jordan Wall

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 07:30:37 PM »
For me it's hands down the first hole at Royal Liverpool.  Not the first hole as played in the Open a few years ago but the "original" first hole with tall grass and OB left as well as the cops hard along the right and extending right up next to the green!  The wind also blows into you pretty hard as well.

I've only played this hole as #3 (2006 Buda Cup) but I agree with Chris, that is one butt puckering tee shot.

My personal most intimidating was Cypress Point, because my usual early morning tee ball miss is low left.  All I could think of was "slow full turn and stay down.  Do NOT hit that f@#&%g hedge!"

Depending when you tee off you could have a dozen others plus fifteen or twenty caddies watching you as well.
Not to mention, it's a full ten feet from the pro shop.
I find it entertaining when someone backs off for a car or cyclist.

However, I think the tee shot at Pebble takes the cake for me.  At least at Cypress there's a big landing area where you can bomb away.  At Pebble your in front of fifty some people to a narrow, sloping fairway.  I hit 3-wood off that tee because 3-iron is too short and driver is way too much; and truth betold 3-wood is my worst club.

I will throw in at least the hedge is behind the tee at Pebble.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »
The first at Prestwick (Ayrshire).  Pro shop directly behind, train station to the right, wall to the right.  And it's only a five iron or so (for an old guy).

Cristian

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
Machrihanish, Lytham (back tee's)

Robert Emmons

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
I thought Pebble also...RHE

TX Golf

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
Prestwick was no cakewalk!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
I agree that Pebble or TOC have to be at the top of the list.  You will always have folks watching and the implication of playing on such a storied course is that you should be a half-decent golfer.  Especially at TOC where there is a max handicap.  If you duff your shot you will feel like a total loser.

Neither shot is particularly tough but your knees are likely knocking as you take your shot.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 10:00:53 PM »
About six years ago I played TOC with a longtime friend from the North of England. We had an amazing 9am tee time, just behind a twosome from the US. Two blokes who dressed the part, but were lacking golf skills and nerves...apparently. The first was so nervous that he whiffed the first swing. Quickly re-loaded and hook-winked one that bounced off a car and ricocheted into the edge of the 18th fairway. He walked back to his caddie and held his head rather low. His friend tees the ball and took two very deliberate practice swings. Sort of PGA-ish swipes that made him look really cool. He proceeded to launch a toe-ed shot way off to the common grounds to the right, nearly missing a man and his dog and a family taking photos with he sea as the backdrop. He also reloaded and punched a driver about 135 yards, this time also a toe-ed shot but somehow managing to find the far right edge of the grass near the white fence.

They stormed off, hoping the webcam was not working. My friend and I stood stoic, knowing that we were next. The starter came over and placed his arm around both of us — "Lads, I might have to have you take them some Valium if they don't calm down..."

This story has been the subject of many recounts and, to date, accompanied by several bottles of good red wine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:02:32 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back