News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Chandler

Pinehurst to host both Opens in 2014
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
From espn.com:

"For the first time, the U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open will take place on the same venue in consecutive weeks, when Pinehurst No. 2 plays host to each tournament in 2014.

With the U.S. Open already scheduled to return to the course for the first time since 2005, the USGA announced that the women's event would be conducted directly afterward, offering a rare opportunity for the world's best male and female players to compete on the same site in back-to-back weeks."

Whole story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=4256723

Sam Maryland

Re: Pinehurst to host both Opens in 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »
Wow, that is amazing.  Will the greens still be alive by the time the women tee it up?

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:38:35 PM »
So, mom and dad's condo off Course No. 5 should be in high-demand in 2014. I was hoping to see the Open with my dad that year anyway. To be able to piggy-back and see how the women tackle it will be really neat. Cool stuff.

John Moore II

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »
Wow, that is amazing.  Will the greens still be alive by the time the women tee it up?

Knowing how good Paul Jett, Jr. is, yes, they will still be alive. He's a damn good super. Not to mention, they close the other 4 courses at the main resort and get other workers from the other courses in the area to work on it, so they have an absolute army of people out there working on the course. And they will probably keep play off the course for at least Monday and give them time to recover. Those greens will be ok, but that is a very legitimate thought.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
From espn.com:

"For the first time, the U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open will take place on the same venue in consecutive weeks, when Pinehurst No. 2 plays host to each tournament in 2014.

A preview of how they might handle the Golf event at the Olympics in 2016/2020?
Next!

Sam Maryland

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
John, I was sorta joking there, but it will be interesting.  Just seems there are a lot of examples where the USGA pushed the greens/course right to the edge and players were describing the greens as turning all sorts of colors and getting crusty etc...  Never occured to me that it was any fault of the super, I kind of figured it was out of his hands.  Given the situation I'm sure they'll take a little more conservative approach in '14.  Would have been interesting if they held the ladies event first, I bet the guys would have howled over that!!!!

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 12:20:09 AM »
John, I was sorta joking there, but it will be interesting.  Just seems there are a lot of examples where the USGA pushed the greens/course right to the edge and players were describing the greens as turning all sorts of colors and getting crusty etc...  Never occured to me that it was any fault of the super, I kind of figured it was out of his hands.  Given the situation I'm sure they'll take a little more conservative approach in '14.  Would have been interesting if they held the ladies event first, I bet the guys would have howled over that!!!!

Yeah, I knew you were more or less joking and I wasn't trying to be defensive in my response. The super has a fair amount of control while the event is there though; it is still his course after all, he knows more about how much he can push the conditions than do the USGA guys. I wasn't in Pinehurst in '05, but that is a very tough time of the year for courses down there, its just so hot. On a typical day at a course down there, you'll have 2 guys working to spray the greens. It takes them roughly 90 minutes to work 9 holes. On hot days, the greens will have started to wilt again by the time they complete one rotation. Given how low the greens were cut for the open, I have no doubt that the grass was turning various other shades of green and brown. While brown wilt is not terrible, its certainly not ideal. I remember my super saying he didn't really worry about the condition of the turf so long as it didn't turn dark brown/purple (exact color may be different depending on what specific type of turf). When it is dark, you basically have completely killed the turf in that area (anyone correct me if I am wrong here, I haven't really kept up on turf stuff since I left the club). Even at Shinnecock in '04 the greens did not get to the permanent damage point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back