News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

I want you...
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:50:22 AM »
...to want -- me!

Joe Bausch

Re: I want you...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:44:01 AM »
I need you to need me....
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 09:09:51 AM »
Mark - what is that, Yangtze Stadium?

I await the magic trick that turns this into a Mackenzie bunker thread....

Peter

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:13:33 AM »
At first, I did scratch my head over this one but your reply Peter has given me the clue as to where Mark's going with this.

The first image gave us an aluring look at an impressive structure.

We only saw a little. Our interest piqued, we yearn for more.

Then, not too long after, full visualisation occurs, and what we witness might not be what we thought we would see.

Now where does this happen on a golf course...

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 09:23:03 AM »
Dudes, can't you see? He just rocked out at a Cheap Trick concert! Don't try to belittle his experience!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
I think you're onto something, Matthew - I think you've got it. (I was just guessing, based on the way Mark's mind works).

I think this is leading to a discussion of camouflage, and of carnivorous bunkers.  The power of the object barely seen to draw our attention (and our golf balls) inexorably to its centre.

Apparently, the reason so many car accidents happen that involve guard rails is because, under stress/panic, drivers tend to turn INTO the danger, not away from it.

The power of the "structure".

That's why centre-line hazards and top-shot bunkers (and random bunkerings) are still so effective....

But I'm getting ahead of myself. And maybe I don't know my Marks as well as I think....

Peter

(Or, Charlie's right. Mark's reliving his youthful indiscretions....)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:29:30 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 09:30:37 AM »
Thanks, Charlie.  I thought that the reference was to Wham and Mark might be referering to an unmentionable George Michael moment......

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »
Of course, Matthew, he may surprise us and go in a different direction here.  Mark may be preparing to argue that an ornate aesthetic is NOT, as normally assumed, in opposition to a practical functionality, but is in fact COMPLEMENTARY to it.

But if that's where he's going, I don't want any part in this stupid thread. That's where Mark and I disagree profoundly....

I'd bet that Mark LOVES George Michael, and spent hours dancing to Wham...

Peter

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 09:55:33 AM »
Okay, if Mark's going to PRESS this, I will admit that an ornate aesthetic, if and when expertly wedded to golf-specific camouflage, can indeed support and enhance a practical functionality.

Is there anyone who's ever so wedded the two better than Dr. MacKenzie?

(Damn you, Mark B)

Peter

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »
But note this: Mackenzie has a LOT to answer for.  His success in camouflaging ornate bunkers devolved, with many of his less talented disciples, into a focus on the ornateness, not on the practical functionality

I'll leave Mark to defend this via some convoluted cost-benefit analysis...

Peter

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »
Didn't I, Didn't I, Didn't I, See you Cryin'
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Eric Franzen

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 10:03:21 AM »
I don't think that Dr MacKenzie was around to experience the mighty Budokan arena in person.

Dancing around to Wham... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »
Ah, Charlie - but who's crying NOW? See, that's my point.  Strained budgets and stressed superintendants - is it all WORTH it? Oh sure, Mark will say "Yes!", but he's among the ELITE, the sophisticates, and proud of it.  I LOATHE all that he represents...

By the way, through a series of circumstances, even as a teenager my record collecton had a lot of Simon and Garfunkel and Frank Sinatra.  But I wore out Live at the Budokan nonetheless.

Eric - you are correct. My pen ran away with me. I too danced...

Peter

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Peter,

You are a stream of consciousness against which the rest of the school can only swim with one purpose.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
Thanks for noticing, Joe (hee, hee) ...

Too much caffeine. And a prod to Mark to finally show his hand!  He camouflages his true motives better that his idol did bunkers...

Peter

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »
I'll shine up the old brown shoes, put on a brand-new shirt.
I'll get home early from work if you say that you love me.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
I love you, Charlie. But if you're right about this they're going to have to invent a new emoticon - one sprawled out collapsed on the floor, as if after a nervous breakdown, his little hands inert, his legs twitching, and eyes closed with "x"s on them

Peter

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
At first, I did scratch my head over this one but your reply Peter has given me the clue as to where Mark's going with this.

The first image gave us an aluring look at an impressive structure.

We only saw a little. Our interest piqued, we yearn for more.

Then, not too long after, full visualisation occurs, and what we witness might not be what we thought we would see.

Now where does this happen on a golf course...

MM

Kirk Gill

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »
What's with all this sturm and drang over a lame No Doubt song?
 ;)
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
I think you're onto something, Matthew - I think you've got it. (I was just guessing, based on the way Mark's mind works).

I think this is leading to a discussion of camouflage, and of carnivorous bunkers.  The power of the object barely seen to draw our attention (and our golf balls) inexorably to its centre.

Apparently, the reason so many car accidents happen that involve guard rails is because, under stress/panic, drivers tend to turn INTO the danger, not away from it.

The power of the "structure".

That's why centre-line hazards and top-shot bunkers (and random bunkerings) are still so effective....

But I'm getting ahead of myself. And maybe I don't know my Marks as well as I think....

Peter

(Or, Charlie's right. Mark's reliving his youthful indiscretions....)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
Of course, Matthew, he may surprise us and go in a different direction here.  Mark may be preparing to argue that an ornate aesthetic is NOT, as normally assumed, in opposition to a practical functionality, but is in fact COMPLEMENTARY to it.

But if that's where he's going, I don't want any part in this stupid thread. That's where Mark and I disagree profoundly....

Peter

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »
What's with all this sturm and drang over a lame No Doubt song?
 ;)

I laughed out loud at this Kirk! Excellent point!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »

Peter

...ornate aesthetic + bunker mentality:

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 10:26:17 PM »
Nicely done, Mark. You didn't use but six words the whole thread.

You're right.

All those structures you posted function in 4 dimensions - height, depth, width, of course, but also TIME.

And maybe this is true too for certain features by certain designers on certain courses.

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back