News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Flossmoor (Tweedie ?) Illinois
« on: June 09, 2009, 05:09:12 PM »
Hows the routing and topography here. Is there as much elevation change at FCC,as exists at Beverly.   Are the green complexes undulating or more quiet/understated/  Are any holes at Flossmoor considered among the top 20 or 30  in Chicagoland.  Thanks !

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Flossmoor (Tweedie ?) Illinois
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »
Hows the routing and topography here. Is there as much elevation change at FCC,as exists at Beverly.   Are the green complexes undulating or more quiet/understated/  Are any holes at Flossmoor considered among the top 20 or 30  in Chicagoland.  Thanks !

Mark,

There is definitely some elevation change at Flossmoor (especially on the back 9).  I wouldn't say that any of the greens are wild, but they are far from flat.  The course came a long way thanks to the recent work done there.  I really liked the par 3 7th as well as the closing stretch.  The 8th hole was a bit of a mystery to me - didn't seem to fit with the body of work.  I have some pictures, but they are on the Mac at home.  I'll put a few up later.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »
Mark,  I think that 16 is the best hole on the course-is it top 20 in Chicago? Lots of great holes in Chicago so it could be a stretch for that list but damn good all the same. This is a very nice reno from what they had.      Jack

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:28:15 AM »
The renovation work by Ray Hearn at Flossmoor was completed this spring, the results of a three year project. Tweedie is credited with the work, although in our recent research, Collis, among others may have had a hand in some of the early work in the 1900s. Hearn did an excellent job in capturing the essence of an early design and added much by rebuilding all of the courses bunkers in a Thomas style. His new 13th hole is a tremendous improvement over the old hole that had an 8+ percent grade from top to bottom, yet is still plays only 125 from the whites.

The greens are a course strength, always smooth and quick with more than subtle breaks, yet not over the top. A great collection of par 4s that will compete with the top courses in Chciago. Par fours  5, 6, 12, 14, 16 and 17 all deserve merit. Seventeen has been written about since the early 1900s as one of the toughest holes in Chicagoland.

Superintendent Bob LIvely does an outstanding job with the course and was a key to the renovation project.

I will be working on a GCA get together at Flossmoor for later in the summer for those who haven't seen the renovated layout. I think you'll be quite surprised and pleased by what you see.

I have a series of photos to post as well, along with more history, but I'll have to do so after a golf trip out east that begins tomorrow.

Greg

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:08:58 AM »
A group from Royal Cinque Ports are visiting Flossmoor Sunday week for a match. If anyone can post some pictures before then we'd be very pleased to see them. Flossmoor held the 1923 US Amateur whilst Deal held the 1923 "British" Amateur hence the historical link between the clubs.
Cave Nil Vino

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »
Mark,

I will be playing in those matches. Looking forward to it. Played Cinque Ports a couple of summers ago. I will try to get something posted before I leave. The matches should be a great time. I played last Saturday with Dan Moore who I believe will be playing with you.

Greg

tlavin

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »
Flossmoor is a hidden gem of a golf course.  It opened in 1899 and was rerouted years ago, after the clubhouse was moved a half-mile or so.  In terms of landforms, it's a tale of two nines.  The front nine is fairly flat, with a number of very interesting holes, including one with a bit of a burn and a newly designed eighth hole, with a fabulous green built around a wetland/pond area.  The back nine is quite hilly, with a Spion Kop par three, blind-second-shot par 4 and four terrific finishing holes.  Butterfield Creek, the same creek that meanders through both courses at Olympia Fields, traverses through the back nine.  The seventeenth hole is surely among the best par 4's in Chicagoland.  It's a 460 yard hole, with the creek about 300 yards from the tee and a demanding skyline green.

Flossmoor has been under the radar for many years and it gets ignored to some extent because of its proximity to Olympia Fields, but it is a real treat.  Greg Ohlendorf and I are in the process of putting together a gca/rater day and we will keep everybody advised.  In the meantime, if you want to get out and play, just contact Greg or me through the site.

Dan Moore

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
While I was writing Terry stole my line.  But here goes anyway.  I know Greg will chime in with more on Flossmoor's history.

Flossmoor is high in the hidden gem category, especially after Ray Hearn's polish work.  As Greg noted I was able to see the finished product last Saturday which included witnessing Greg eagle the 18th hole after striping a 2 iron to 6 feet.  Game on for the visitors from Royal Cinque Ports. 

The transformation is remarkable.  I did not see the back nine before the work, but the comparison to the before photos is simply amazing.  Ditto on the front where the first six holes have also been transformed since last summer.  Where willow trees once reigned beautiful vistas of the course have been opened up. 

The course is a gem dating to 1900, just the sixth 18 hole course to open in the Chicago area.  Tweedie designed three of the others Glen View, Midlothian and Westward Ho and the essential routings of all three that still exist remain intact today, a testament to Tweedie's ability to route a course.  Many of Flossmoor's best holes are essentially Tweedie originals.  The course retains the character of the original course while staying up to date with modern playing methods and conditions.  Bernard Darwin stated when he visited in 1913 that Flossmoor required long and accurate play and that is still the main characteristic of Flossmoor today.  Its not a slog though as each nine features a wonderful short par 4 (the 4th wonderfully updated by Hearn and 14th with its treacherous green) and some very nice par 3's.  The Harry Collis Flossmoor bent greens are a wonderful part of the course.  Combine all that with a history of championships involving Chick Evans, Francis Ouimet, Bobby Jones and many others and Flossmoor is a Club which merits wider attention. 

Here are a few pictures to highlight some of what makes Flossmoor special.  I don’t have photos of the renovated portion of the front nine so these will be from the back nine which is about as good a nine holes as you can find. 

11th Tee 173 yd Par 3

12th Tee 408 yd par 4 I love the bunkerless fall away green on this hole.  I’ll have to add a photo of later. 

14th Green 334 yd Par 4

15th Tee 425 yd Par 4

15th Green

17th Tee 461 yd par 4

17th Green Looking Back to Clubhouse

18th Hole 505 yd Par 5

Before Tree Removal

17 from Tee

18 fron Green

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 04:39:31 AM »
Terry - you are quite right that Flossmoor is a hidden gem and the raters/GCA guys should jump at the opportunity to visit the club.

Dan - thanks for the pictures, the course is looking in fine fettle.

Greg - looking forward to meeting you and the members on our visit. I have fond memories of my game with Dan and Trey in May '08. Flossmoor is unheard of in the UK and by all accounts pretty much under the radar in Chicago and the US, which sn't always a bad thing. I was sure about the 8th but now it's well bedded in I'm interested to see the hole again. The only improvement I suggested to Trey was a phone on the 12th tee so the great burgers in the hut were ready on arrival!
Cave Nil Vino

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Mark,

Thought I posted this yesterday, but I must have forgot to submit it!

Trey told me that we were going to play one of the rounds as alternate shot! That must make us pretty good hosts as we never do that!!

Can't wait to meet you and your squad. I think you'll love the course.

Greg

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
Wow.

The course looks totally different than when I last played it in maybe 2002/2003 in a one day tournament.

Thanks for the before and after photos.
H.P.S.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »
Greg,

Alternate shot is played at many traditional British clubs - Rye, Deal, Sandwich, West Sussex & Brancaster to name just a few.

It is less tiring and a very good way of quickly walking off the wine after lunch. The only problem with alternate shot is your partner reeps the punishment of your poor shots, therefore placing you under more pressure if you go astray!! I hope you enjoy trying it.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »
Greg,

Alternate shot is played at many traditional British clubs - Rye, Deal, Sandwich, West Sussex & Brancaster to name just a few.

It is less tiring and a very good way of quickly walking off the wine after lunch. The only problem with alternate shot is your partner reeps the punishment of your poor shots, therefore placing you under more pressure if you go astray!! I hope you enjoy trying it.

Mark

Mark-

I agree with your assessment on alternate shot, the best part of the format is that a 4-some (two teams) can play 18 holes in no more than 3 hours. The scores are always higher than a best ball format.
H.P.S.

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 09:17:57 PM »
Pat,

The few times I've played it the thing I remember most is telling my partner not to say "Im sorry" so often! I assumed that he didn't try to put me in the places he did, and vice versa!

Greg

Dan Moore

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 12:24:44 AM »
I posted these the other night but I think we lost some posts Thursday night.  So here goes again. 

#2 Par 3 Pre restoration

#3 Par 4  Pre restoration.  This was the 18th hole until 1915 and this would have been the view from the clubhouse porch 100 years ago.  

#6 Par 4  Pre restoration

#7 Harry Collis addition in 1915

#12 Fabulous bunkerless green. Green looking back up fairway

#13  Ray Hearns new par 3 13th Hole

#14 From tee. Left Right or Over the Top

#16  Famous Flossmoor Bunker Fronting Green

#18 Site of Greg's Eagle 3

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back