News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

In praise of the superintendant/head greenkeeper
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
In his review of Beechtree (NLE), Ran writes, "Beechtree's minimal design becomes extraordinarily attractive and fun to play thanks to the efforts of its Green Keeper."

What are other good examples where maintenance practices truly bring out the architect's intent or even take it to a higher level?

(I was thinking of Matt Shaffer, but lord knows we don't need another Merion mention :)  )

Peter Ferlicca

Re: In praise of the superintendant/head greenkeeper
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »
I would give props to Ken Nice at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, I am sure all the architects would agree with that.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:37:52 PM »
Absolutely.  Mr. Nice and his crew have really let the architects' vision live for everybody that plays there.

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »
Yeah, what Peter said.  I can't imagine the conditions for the architecture of those four courses to be any better than what Ken puts on the ground everyday.  In fact, Old Mac was in pretty awesome shape in April, and it's just previewing.  I can't wait to see how it plays once its as firm and fast as the other three.

I am already looking forward to what Dave Hensley has going on this weekend at Ballyneal.  You know its going to be good when the website has a hyperlink called "Get Down With Brown" in reference to turf conditions.

I recall Pasatiempo's greens rolling at the perfect speed to make one cognizant of the slopes on the greens. 

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »
Ken would be the first to 'give props' to the other superintendents at Bandon Dunes.  Since he is a lurker and not a poster, let me name them, for they each get it done, big time!:

Eric Johnson, Bandon Dunes
Jeff Sutherland, Pacific Dunes
Aaron Huntley, Bandon Trails

Firm and fast all year long here.

Tom
the pres

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »
We have been fortunate to work with several terrific superintendents.  I'd like to give special mention here to two of them who don't get as much as they should.

The first is Andy Woolston at Riverfont in Virginia.  He's taken care of that course ever since we built it, and done a really terrific job, despite modest budgets and two changes of ownership.  Dave Wilber said many years ago (about Ken Nice) that finding a great superintendent is like finding the guy you'd like your daughter to marry ... and Andy has stuck with our daughter in Virginia through thick and thin.

The other is Mat Dunmyer, who, ironically, just resigned at Rock Creek last week, for personal reasons.  I have never really been confident that any superintendent could take dwarf bluegrass fairways and get them to play firm and fast and give options for shots around the greens, but Mat told me he would, and he did just what he said, in less than a year of growing weather.  We wish him well in his new job and hope we will get to work with him again.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »
Ben, Don't expect the brown. We've had a remarkable spring. The good news is that even lush green, the drainage is so good the turf will still yield the bounce and roll Tom & team designed in. In a wat, it is sort of a mind screw. Because your brain is telling you it must be soft. But, it ain't.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »
Adam,

Awesome. I am excited either way.  In many ways, what you're saying resembles another Renaissance layout.  Stone Eagle was quite possibly the most amazing turf I've seen outside of Augusta.  But in retrospect, it played pretty dang quick to be as gorgeous as it was.  But I don't care the color as long as it's fast.  See you Saturday, I can hardly wait. 

Michael Blake

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:04:22 AM »
Don Mahaffey, Wolf Point Club.

Great things happen when designer, superintendant, and client are all on the same page.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
The Q & A was from last week at Muirfield Village.  High praise from Jack Nicklaus.

Q. Jack, I just wanted to go back to condition of the course. You have a superintendent here, Paul Latshaw, who's been here six years, regarded as one of the best in the business. Your comments about how the course looks perfect. I just want to get your opinions of the job he's done since he's been here.

JACK NICKLAUS: If it's perfect, he's obviously pretty good, isn't he? Don't tell him that. That costs me too much money.

Paul's done a great job. He's more than a golf course superintendent. He's a student of he's got his Masters or Ph.D. in grass. I don't know what he has. But he keeps going back to school to get more education and keeps expanding what his knowledge is. He's a very, very intense young man who really likes what he does.

You know, when I hired Paul actually, I hired him. His father Paul Sr., Paul had started at Oakmont and grew up there. His father went to Augusta, went to Congressional, Riviera, maybe some other places, I'm not sure.

Paul went on to Oak Hill. When we were having problems here, I needed to make a looking for a superintendent. I called his father, who I'd offered a job to about 15 years earlier. And I said, "Paul, I'm looking for a young superintendent. I know that you have a lot of young guys that have trained under you around the country, and I'm trying to find one that you think would be suitable for us to have."

Well he said, "I've kicked myself for 15 years for turning down the job." And he said, "I'll tell you the guy that I think would be the best one would be my son. I think he's the best one of the lot." And I said, "Where's your son?" He says, "He's at Oak Hill. They just finished up the PGA Championship at Oak Hill."

And he said, Oak Hill won't have an event for quite a while, and Paul would like to get involved where we're going to have a tournament every year where he can get involved in the tournament preparation and so forth and so on.

So that was right down Paul's alley what he wanted. And I knew that Paul, obviously being at Oak Hill was going to do a good job. I never realized how good of a job he would do because he has taken this course to the next level.

I mean, all the drainage that he's put in this golf course. The restoration of all the creek banks and the erosion factors that we have because, when we started doing this golf course, remember number 6, we used to walk off the tee and jump over the creek, just take one step. It's ten yards now. The water comes down through this property from developments north of here. It's really created a lot of havoc within the property, so we had to control it.

Paul's controlled that very well. We put a pipe pass on number 5 this year. The 5 fairway comes through, and we put a pipe down through the fairway where it picks the water up. Put in a 36 inch culvert down through the fairway. More than a two year flood, the water comes down through there and never gets any flooding. The water stays at a constant level.

I wouldn't have dreamed of doing something like that. It's a creek. Why would I want to go through it? That's his background. That's his education, to be able to do those kinds of things.

It cost more money to have Paul, but that's okay in the end because in the end, instead of spending, you know, $10,000 or $20,000, $50,000, whatever it is, to clean up and fix erosion, you do it one time, and you're done. That's not going to go anywhere now.

So he's terrific. He's just done a wonderful job here. He's taken the greens to the next level.

When we redid the greens here about 10, 12 years ago, the subsurfaces, we put a mix in that was very quick draining mix, and that draining mix was actually I did not realize it because I didn't realize what we put in, but we'd put in a fairly round sand. When you put in a round sand, it doesn't compact. It drains beautifully, but it doesn't compact. You never get the greens firm.

And so Paul's been working on changing the profile without having to redo the greens. Putting a little more angular sand to slow down the greens and get some compaction and get the greens firmer when you want to get them firmer. All of those are things that he's been able to do. He's just done a very good job.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
I loved this quote from Mr. Golden Bear, "It cost more money to have Paul, but that's okay in the end because in the end, instead of spending, you know, $10,000 or $20,000, $50,000, whatever it is, to clean up and fix erosion, you do it one time, and you're done."

Combine it with this quote from our own Bruce Cadenelli spoken to his senior crew last year, "We're going to do this one time and do it right.  Watch closely because we're never going to do it here again."  (He was talking about working new turf into 2 or 3 greens that were damaged on his arrivial).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back