News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Re:Timber Point -- Glimpses of Glory Past
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 11:57:39 PM »
Alison's 460!!! yd 4-Par 11th Greensite (same greensite and green but hole is oriented basically reversed and plays as a 5 par today)

This view of 11 green is from 12 tee and the contouring is still very similar to that evident in a photo from D. Wexler's "Missing Links":

This is the view from the 11th green back down what was Alison's original 11th fairway.  The original 11th tee was adjacent to the original and current 13th green which in this photo would be just right of the bushy trees in the far distance:

This is a close up of the same angle down the original 11th fairway looking from 11 green back toward what used to be 11 tee.  Again, Alison's 11th tee was just right of those  bushy trees in the distance (the trees sit behind Alison's 13th green).

The approach from the angle that Alison designed 11 to play from (this angle is still in play for those that hang their second to the par 5 to the right):

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 12:20:32 AM »
Alison's 12th:

The view from 12 tee of the 13th green in the distance:

There are still great clams and fluke in the Great South Bay seen here from 12 tee:

Timber Point retains its majesty today, however, the view of 12 with the 15th green (Gibralter) in the background was beyond breathtaking in Alison's day.  Overtime, sandy waste bunkering and tidal sand bars became muddy bugs which yielded drainage ponds and as the Bay was dredged around it the character of Timber Point's quintessential visual marriage of Pine Valley and Cypress Point was forever lost.  If you'd like to cry the day away just look at this view in D. Wexler's "Missing Links."  

The view of 13 while descending the elevated 12th tee:

The Wiser Blasberg enjoying a day of November golf in the Sun:

Timber Point's original routing is walker friendly, as seen here the 13th tee rolls up from the 12th greensite:

In Alison's day boats could never have docked here as it was a large sand bar:

Like most of Alison's holes on the Great South Bay the clubhouse is ever looming:

this ground short of 12 green was a tidal sand bar in Alison's day:

A look back to the elevated 12th tee site reveals the native grasses still healthy after all these years:

Again, ground that was a tidal sand bar:

For a hole of only 145 yards from the tips I expected more undulation in the green and must question whether this green was softened over the years:

A last look back toward the tee:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 01:01:31 AM by Jason Blasberg »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 12:27:41 AM »
Watching a group of typical publinx golfers - wife beaters, high-tops and rented pull cart - strolling up the 18th toward the old stately clubhouse, once the haven of multi-millionaires, was truly ironic.

Tom:

You've no idea how much it pains me, my Great Uncle Herbie was a member there in the 60s toward the end of its private life and I only wish I'd been around to at least see all 18 Alison holes (although I'm sure they'd changed dramatically by the Bay by then which is as much a function of the Bay dredging for boating ways than anything the Club could have done).  

Jason

Robert Thompson

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 08:59:27 AM »

If William Mitchell wasn't already quite dead, he should be hung for his work there.   ;)

Interesting to note that William Mitchell did a little work in Canada, including the truly terrific Maple Downs, a course that is very lay-of-the-land and built on a truly interesting piece of property. It was clear Mitchell had talent as Maple Downs in comparable to the work Willie Park did in Canada some 50 years earlier.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 10:04:36 AM »
Jason

Gene Greco, his son, Neil Regan and I played Timber Point on Saturday. It is an ideal type of site to play the game and as you have documented so well, the bones of a great course are still there. It's interesting to see how a site can evolve over 80 years with water replacing sand bars and growth of reeds and marsh where none was previously. One thing that was obvious to us was the shrinkage of green space.  That is something they could recover and it would create more interesting pin locations and probably at the same time save some wear and tear from all the play the course gets.

I can see where that was quite the difficult test of golf in its day certainly matching NGLA, Shinnecock and GCGC for a championship type venue.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 11:47:17 PM »
Plan on playing Timber Point tomorrow somehow for the first time. Kind of overlooked the course growing up as an option for golf, but this thread got my interest up. Looking forward to it. thanks jason for creating this thread.

congrats on celebrating the public golf on Long Island, with so many private clubs not many people are fortunate enough to play at the great private clubs.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 12:50:34 AM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 02:38:23 PM »
MSS:

How was TP?

JKB

Brad Klein

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 06:24:02 PM »
Glory, indeed.

Was just reading a wonderful new book, "A Disorderly Compendium of Golf," by Lorne Rubenstein and Jeff Neuman. Among many other fascinating things was a list from the 1939 issue of National Golf Review indicating the 100 best courses in the world.

A very distinguished panel picked, among other gems, Timber Point at No. 12. NGLA was No. 6, Shinnecock Hills No. 19, Winged Foot No. 32, Lido No. 41, Garden City No. 49, Engineers No. 52, Bethpage-Black No. 56, Maidstone No. 74, Fishers Island No. 99.

scott_wood

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 06:26:16 PM »
Brad....sshhhh.....it's on the "wish list" from Amazon!!
 :-X     :-X      :-X

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 06:56:49 PM »
Jason-

Played the Red and Blue nines, as you directed. You can clearly see that back some years this was a first rate course. You were exactly right about the greens shrinking, some cart paths ruined a couple green complexes.

The Blue nine blew me away, not an easy golf course. That is a legit nine holes. holes 2-9 were absolutley fantastic. Absolute fantastic setting for golf. Played Fishers Island for the first time this summer and really think that from the Gibralter to the 9th hole you kind of have that Fishers feeling. (I said kind of)

You really get the feeling that your at a historical ruined site. The clubhouse really shows this. It is so beat up but awesome at the same time. What a shame that this course changed as it has.

A friend of mine is very close with the Head Golf Professional at Panther Valley in New Jersey. Was a member at Timber Point for awhile before he was a pro and won the club championship. Will get more info from him about TP.

Enjoyable last round of golf on Long Island for the season. Thank you for bringing this thread to everyones attention.

-Mike Sweeney
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 07:13:02 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 10:50:03 PM »
Brad

Do you mean this list?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionmacwood6.html

Yale #29

Brad Klein

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2006, 05:17:45 AM »
Obviously, that's it.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 07:53:11 AM »
Mike:

If your friend has old photos of TP that he'd share I'd be very curious to see how things looked in the 60s.

Jason

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2007, 06:25:57 PM »
Anyone interested in an informal Timber Point outing in early November?  

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: Timber Point -- Glimpses of Glory Past
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2009, 04:08:09 PM »
I'll be playing at Timber Point next weekend.  Is there any way to see the original pictures on this thread?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back