News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

is the 10th the worst hole at Pine Valley?
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
some lucky bastard ;) :-\ i played with recently just got back form a 3 day trip to PV when he played 5 rounds there...

he said his group was talking and the majority opinion was the the 10th was the worst hole there...yea its got that bunker they agreed but other than that..

for all you other fortunate ones who have played there:  do you agree?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ben Sims

Re: is the 10th the worst hole at Pine Valley?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »
Isn't this akin to asking which Victoria's Secret model you think is least attractive?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
Paul,

Go home and wash your mouth out with soap!  ;)

Actually, the weakest hole there is the 14th. 

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »
That's ridiculous.  Let me guess, just because it's short?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:40:25 PM »
Absolutely not.  It is just one of the shorter shots to the green.  I don't think there is a weak hole at PV, but if I had to pick a few of the lesser holes they might be 11, 12 or 16. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »
Paul,were any of them Dallas people? The guy that lockers next to me just got back from a Pine Valley trip that had a few Lakewood and Dallas National people,played five rounds I believe and he talked about the 10th being his least favorite.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
Isn'tthis sort of like asking which is the worst steak served at Peter Luger's?

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Paul,were any of them Dallas people? The guy that lockers next to me just got back from a Pine Valley trip that had a few Lakewood and Dallas National people,played five rounds I believe and he talked about the 10th being his least favorite.

think they were from California Mike

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:26:39 PM »
The 10th is fantastic, the 11th is the weakest, and i say weakest we all due respect.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 04:28:57 AM »
I don't think there are any weak holes at PV. 10 is an excellent hole and along with the other 17 holes is the pick of the bunch.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 09:30:40 AM »
Weak holes?!  At Pine Valley?!  I would love to play Pine Valley so that I can comment on this thread. ;D 

I guess I can reserve comment when I watch the Crump Cup this September. 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 09:43:12 AM »
I have already written elsewhere, that Pine Valley is the best golf course that I have played in my golfing life, because it has NO poor holes.

Bob

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
Paul,

Forget that famous little pot bunker there, at Pine Valley's 10th. I'd advise this "lucky bastard" you know to study the green contour more closely.

He may then return with a different opinion  :)
jeffmingay.com

Willie_Dow

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Remember when the D/A was fed by a down slope on the edge of the green ?  When was the collar built up to catch the ball from going there due to backspin ?  I seem to think it was the same year they tamed the back to front slope on the par three fifth.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
You're all MORONS

Paul Thomas's question WASN'T about the 10th hole being a weak hole, it was about "relativity" about  whether # 10 was the worst hole ON THE GOLF COURSE.

I believe that Crump felt that # 2 and # 18 were the best holes on the golf course.

Just to make things interesting, I'll claim the 5th hole as the owner of that title.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
A short iron penal par 3 a weak hole, absolutely not!

I'd hate to say what I found to be the weakest hole at PV, my weakest holes would be those I played poorly. I'm at least 10 laps of  PV from declaring my weakest hole.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
Am I the only person that thinks 7 could be the weakest hole.  The green has some of the tamest contours and the biggest challenge is hitting a good enough drive to get in position to hit a shot over HHA to a fairway that is really wide and flat.  Admittedly when designed this hole was revolutionary but the island of turf model has been copied often since.

I'll admit I don't play this hole well, but I can't play 2 either and it is my favorite.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
You're all MORONS

Paul Thomas's question WASN'T about the 10th hole being a weak hole, it was about "relativity" about  whether # 10 was the worst hole ON THE GOLF COURSE.

I believe that Crump felt that # 2 and # 18 were the best holes on the golf course.

Just to make things interesting, I'll claim the 5th hole as the owner of that title.

in his inimitable way  ;)   :)Pat is correct....i never said it was a bad hole, jut the weakest at PV

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
You're all MORONS

in his inimitable way  ;)   :)Pat is correct....i never said it was a bad hole, jut the weakest at PV

Paul,

I hate to correct the author of this thread ;D, but, you never mentioned the 10th hole in the context of the weakest hole, you referenced it in the context of the "worst" hole.

Here's your original post.

" is the 10th the worst hole at Pine Valley?
« on: Yesterday at 07:16:22 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some lucky bastard   i played with recently just got back form a 3 day trip to PV when he played 5 rounds there...

he said his group was talking and the majority opinion was the the 10th was the worst hole there...yea its got that bunker they agreed but other than that..

To further discussion, I'll nominate # 5. ;D

Kenny Baer

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »
Isn't this akin to asking which Victoria's Secret model you think is least attractive?

That is a great line!! LOL

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »
You're all MORONS

Paul,

I hate to correct the author of this thread ;D, but, you never mentioned the 10th hole in the context of the weakest hole, you referenced it in the context of the "worst" hole.

Here's your original post.

" is the 10th the worst hole at Pine Valley?
« on: Yesterday at 07:16:22 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some lucky bastard   i played with recently just got back form a 3 day trip to PV when he played 5 rounds there...

To further discussion, I'll nominate # 5. ;D

weakest , worst...i think you've been listening to too many lawyers splitting hairs Patrick ;)...i'm sure everyone is smart enough here to get my drift...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49:03 PM »
Am I the only person that thinks 7 could be the weakest hole.  The green has some of the tamest contours and the biggest challenge is hitting a good enough drive to get in position to hit a shot over HHA to a fairway that is really wide and flat.  Admittedly when designed this hole was revolutionary but the island of turf model has been copied often since.

I'll admit I don't play this hole well, but I can't play 2 either and it is my favorite.

Mike,

I might generally agree except for the damndest thing.

Standing in the fairway facing the approach (hopefully, the third) shot, it seems as though the front of that green faces you squarely.

That's an optical illusion.

The fact is, the further left the hole is cut, the further carry is required by the approach.

I've never quite understood how they pulled that off, because you can't even really see it until you get up just off the left side of the green.

I would add one other caveat...

Before they started manicuring the waste areas, HHA was one freaking cool looking thing.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 10:20:22 PM »
I might generally agree except for the damndest thing.

Standing in the fairway facing the approach (hopefully, the third) shot, it seems as though the front of that green faces you squarely.

That's an optical illusion.

The fact is, the further left the hole is cut, the further carry is required by the approach.

I've never quite understood how they pulled that off, because you can't even really see it until you get up just off the left side of the green.

I'll try to check that out next time I'm there, like I said I have never played the hole too well so my understanding my be limited.  It's an interesting exercise to find the weak points of PVGC.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
My "least" favorite (because I love them all) would be #14. Now #5 tends to kick my tail, but I like the challenge.
Mr Hurricane

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
This thread struck me as an attempt to start an argument as opposed to a legitimate query. However, I'll bite just in case the author was dropped on his head in the delivery room.  ;D

The beauty of the 10th consists of its simplicity. Most great golf courses include one hole where the challenge is primarily psychological. Just a simple pitch to an expansive target, two putts and off to the next tee. Except like the 17th at TPC Sawgrass, the penalty for a little slip on #10 is death.

The Short at Piping Rock presents a similar visually intimidating scenario, but there is a possible escape with deft bunker play. At PV, the gravest penalty might not be in the DA, but right, left or long in the scrub.

How does #10 at PV compare to the rest of the golf course? Every hole at PV presents a completely different arrangement of hazards and strategic challenge. At #10, you make the turn and begin with a deceptively simple test of nerve. Pass the test and off you go, yet eventually there will come a day when the breeze is swirling a bit, or you catch that 8-iron a hair heavy. One never really forgets the painful aftermath of hemorrhoid surgery either.

Worst hole? No, just the most humiliating place on the golf course for a misstep.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:51:56 PM by Gib Papazian »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back