News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

The new USGA Architecture Archive
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:07 PM »
Last week it finally went "live". Some of us have been working on the idea and concept and start-up for some years now. It's part of the whole new Arnold Palmer Center opening and the rejuvenated USGA Museum/Library. I think they are calling it a "soft launch" with the idea being an example of what it can be, perhaps in workability rather than content at the moment. Try to take its "MediaBank" application for a test drive and tell us what you think. Make recommendations and suggestions as it was all done for you!

Charlie Goerges

Re: The new USGA Architecture Archive
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »
Could you provide a Link? I'm having trouble finding the mediabank.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Dunlop_White

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »
Thanks Tom,

The direct link is http://architecturearchive.usgamuseum.com

You must register though with a secure user name and password. It's not difficult!

The "soft launch" contains historical architectural materials from the following courses: Pinehurst No. 2, Merion, Oakmont, and Yeamans Hall .... with Pebble, Oak Hill, Pine Needles, and Baltusrol on the immediate horizon.

Note that it is a "work in progress" with bigger and better things to come.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
Guys, it rocks. It's a bit slow loading up the larger files, but not horrible. I just hope the progress will continue at a good clip.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:32:01 AM »
TEP-

This is very very cool. I love how others can upload their own information. Could be a wonderful official storage space for GCA information.
H.P.S.

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. First we have seen better US Open set-ups in recent years and now this. Maybe the USGA is getting back on track.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
I'm assuming user submitted material will have to go through some rigorous evaluation process before appearing in the online Archive.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »
Great stuff...yes, it's terrific to see the USGA take such an interest in such a rich topic as golf architecture.  Congrats Tom.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Dunlop_White

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
Although we are behind schedule, there is a long list of additional courses (about 24, I believe) that will be added over the next year. So stay tuned!

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
Charlie and Pat:

Great; glad you like it so far. I'm actually a total tech duffus so I don't understand this stuff at all. I know where some problems are such as the slow upload problem but not how to fix it. We've all been aware of that for a long time but personally I just leave the resolutions for that stuff in the hands of the WIZ tech guys and they have some good ones up there.

To me the real gist of this has always been about real ease of information access (or storage) but of course the information in there to be accessed is massively important to, at least to me it is.

Mark Rowlinson, if you are looking at this thread any time soon, remember how all this began for us? Pretty interesting, huh? In that vein, my hope is of course that before you and I die this thing will be coming your way as comprehensively as your invasion of our land over here way back when!  ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »
Is anyone else having trouble playing the videos?  I can't get them to play...and I get a big red "X."
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
I've been running around the last couple of days, but wanted to bump this up.

David Normoyle and his staff have done a terrific amount of work in launching the archive (soft or not). Everyone believes it will become an important addition to the USGA and to golf architecture generally. In particular, as the breadth and depth of the archive's materials grow over time, it will became an important historical resource, not just for its content but for the ease of accessing that content.

And, to boot, it will be a fun place to visit.

The treehouse here is an important part of the audience for the archive. Your ideas for improving it are most welcome. This is a project that will evolve over time. The hope is that people with an understanding and passion for golf architecture will help shape its direction. So chime in.

Bob

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »
All, I think it is going to be fantastic. The Merion drawings by Flynn are terrific and very high resolution.

One issue I have is the window that they open up in doesn't go to full screen. This wouldn't be a big deal if I could download the files and view them on my desktop, but that isn't an option that I can see. But even with that limitation, it is a very nice tool, the utility of which will increase as more courses are added.

Bravo to the USGA on getting this information out there!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
post deleted.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:03:07 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »
This is sensational, and will only get better. Kudos to those who have put it together for us to play with and learn from. Now, that USGA watermark may be an annoyance on some things, but it didn't seem too bad on the Pinehurst aerials.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 01:24:10 PM »
I just haven't been looking at much lately on GCA.  But, this jumped out at me as a new and great thing.  It looks like it has miles of potential.  I assume as anything else, bugs to be worked out like slow loading.  And I also can't get a video except for the X.  I think that means none are actually loaded and qued up yet...

How will content be decided on for inclusion and editted?  Anotherwords, if some folks have old archival photos of a significant course or time or event in GCA history, do they just submit it to a webmaster at USGA?  I have spent a lot of time rumaging through our states historical society on-line photos of golf historical matters and I think many states must have such.  Can those significant photo items be lifted and put on the USGA site, or is their copyright and legal matters to resolve?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back