News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

GT Drainage Swales
« on: June 04, 2009, 10:17:52 AM »
I hear a lot about George Thomas, mainly about his bunker style.  However, two other aspects about the work of Thomas really intrigue me.  The first, a subject I asked about many moons ago on this site, creating two holes out of one, continues to fascinate me and I don't know nearly enough about it.  Today, I would like to learn more about how GT used swales as natural drainage.  The two concepts are right up my alley of what I consider good design.  Does anyone know more about this?  How bout photos? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Joel_Stewart

Re: GT Drainage Swales
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:29:25 PM »
They used very often by certain architects without thinking. 

Sadly I just played Black Horse in Monterey, California and architect Gene Bates used them often.  At the bottom of these collection area are huge 12 inch drains.  I would say every green has 1 to 3 of these and the fairways are littered with them.   It's absurd considering the course is built in sand.  Poor architecture and poor construction.

Sean_A

Re: GT Drainage Swales
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:50:13 PM »
They used very often by certain architects without thinking. 

Sadly I just played Black Horse in Monterey, California and architect Gene Bates used them often.  At the bottom of these collection area are huge 12 inch drains.  I would say every green has 1 to 3 of these and the fairways are littered with them.   It's absurd considering the course is built in sand.  Poor architecture and poor construction.

Joel

Perhaps I am wrong, but when I used the phrase "swales as natural drainage" I was thinking Thomas didn't have drains actually installed.  I thought he used swales to enhance grade drainage.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back