News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Kiawah Question
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »

Mike Vegis mentioned in a recent post that the turf type was changed recently. How different will the course play?

Will it change the way one plays the course?

Was the architecture influenced by the turf at conception?

Does it really need to play firm and fast, isn't a great course as is?

Why the turf change? Attempt at links golf?

Anthony

Mark Woodger

Re: Kiawah Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:16:46 PM »
i played there last summer and thought it was a great course. i didn't think it was particularly firm or fast on the fairways (greens yes) and found it very enjoyable.

i can't comment on the grass/turf.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »

Mike Vegis mentioned in a recent post that the turf type was changed recently. How different will the course play?

Will it change the way one plays the course?

Was the architecture influenced by the turf at conception?

Does it really need to play firm and fast, isn't a great course as is?

Why the turf change? Attempt at links golf?

Anthony

The change to Paspalum was purly due to maintainance.  The deep well water quality is full of salts and minerals so it was acting as a growth retardant on the Bermuda.  Paspalum loves the stuff.  Plus, it handles wear and tear better than Bermuda.  It plays fairly fast and firm but many of the green complexes (especially those where Pete expected short-irons into the greens) are raised so bump and runs would be difficult.  The design hasn't changes there so the grass won't matter than much.  However, we haven't really found a downside to the Paspalum except that in the summer, it grows really fast and in the winter, when it goes dorment, it has sort of a purple tint to it... :P

jonathan_becker

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
Mike,

I last played the ocean course this past new years and was wondering about that purple tint!  It actually looked pretty cool.  Kiawah was my first experience putting on paspalum and I loved the new greens.  The best part being that there was virtually no grain whatsoever. 

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »

I have never really understood why people have demanded fast and firm at Kiawah. I assume because of the sand and ocean but the climate is no where near the same as links golf.

Anthony

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »

I have never really understood why people have demanded fast and firm at Kiawah. I assume because of the sand and ocean but the climate is no where near the same as links golf.

Anthony

I just think it's more fun to play on a fast and firm course.  Nothing worse on a long course to bomb a drive and the ball is sitting next to its ball mark in the fairway...  Plus, I believe it makes The Ocean Course more challenging.  To make The Ocean Course its hardest, I would simply remove all rough and have the fairways stimping at around 8-9...  That would be a blast!

Kenny Baer

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
I have seen Paspalum running almost that fast; at the Conservatory @ Hammock Beach they have Paspalum and it is the fastest surface I have ever played on.  I absolutely loved it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back