News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

History of the golf glove?
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »

Why do you need a golf glove?

Who was the first player to use a golf glove?

Who are some of the pros that do not use a golf glove?

Anthony

Mark Pritchett

Re: History of the golf glove?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Fred Couples

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »
Who was the first player to use two gloves?  Tommy Gainey?  Most certainly not, but I have no evidence.

Michael Blake

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »
They're game enhancement tools and a modern invention.

BAN THEM!

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »
With tacky modern grips?

I have no clue how Freddie keeps the club from slipping - stick em or something?

If it gets above 60 degrees I would not have a hope in hell of holding onto a club.

In high school, I wanted to emulate Fred Couples and tried to not use a glove - umm, didnt work out so well - on the first tee my driver went farther than the ball. It was sweet. Mulligan?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 01:02:06 AM »
I don't use a glove, never have. If your hands get a little slick or dry, just moisten them a bit and you're good to go.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »
They're game enhancement tools and a modern invention.

BAN THEM!

Thought provoking

Michael Ryan

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:48:05 PM »
Lucas Glover also plays without a glove.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »
Bob Estes.

I switched to TV cords, ditched my glove and have never noticed a difference.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
Jack always played with somewhat slick leather grips. I doubt the golf glove helped much. What some experts have suggested may have been going on with him is that the slick grips required a tight left hand leading to a consistent fade.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Smolens

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »
Sam Snead didn't use a glove (or, in his youth, shoes for that matter!).  I use a piece of tape on one of the fingers on my right had that gets callused, but don't use a glove unless it's raining -- and then it's one of those amazing rain gloves that allows you to hold the club as if you're in a desert, even if it's pouring out.

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »
You should try looking at Golf Glove Atlas for a proper answer ...

Golf Glove Atlas
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »
I always have used cord grips in lieu of a glove until recently. I grew my right-hand thumbnail out when I started taking classical guitar lessons and, playing as a lefty, that thumbnail digs into the palm of my left hand something fierce. Had to start using a glove for to avoid self-injury but boy I hate 'em. Hate buying 'em, hate putting them on and off, what a pain. Beats having a bleeding hole in the palm of my left hand on the back nine though.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »
A leper like Anthony wears them on both hands and both feet.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Hancock

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:06 PM »
I think Michael Jackson had something to do with it.....
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony Gray

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »
A leper like Anthony wears them on both hands and both feet.

At my club I am required to shout "Unclean!!" three times at the door before entering.

Anthony

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »
Lucas Glover also plays without a glove.

Here's to the gloveless wonder, Lucas Glover! As someone who has always played gloveless and also in recent years have gone to The Claw (tm), I was hoping someone in the final group would prevail...

Also a shout to GCAer Michael Whitaker, who must be quite happy today since Lucas Glover is a friend of his. Awhile back, Michael and I had  a bit of an exchange about Mr. Glover. He's clearly matured since then... ;)  As I said on the thread, his stock went way up in my mind when he went to Scotland for the Carnoustie Open as an alternate without a spot and did get in to play that event.    

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30755.35/
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »

Here's to the gloveless wonder, Lucas Glover! As someone who has always played gloveless and also in recent years have gone to The Claw (tm), I was hoping someone in the final group would prevail...

Gloveless and now THE CLAW (tm).  Are you still stalking me, Doug? :o

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

Gloveless and now THE CLAW (tm).  Are you still stalking me, Doug? :o

As you well know Rihc, we are twins separated at birth.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Doug Siebert

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 11:50:46 PM »
I gave up on wearing a glove after about my second year playing, it just made the left hand too clammy and uncomfortable, and I didn't see the point.

Granted when it is really hot and humid the club might slip occasionally (not completely out of my hands, but enough to produce some "interesting" shots)  But then again when the heat index is pushing 100 playing golf is kinda miserable what with your shirt sticking to you and so on - on a day like that I'd much rather be near water or riding my bike!

What really annoys me about gloves is the whole stupid ritual that started about 20 years ago with people taking off their glove to putt.  I find the claims that it improves feel laughable, and think it is really vanity, people want a few minutes on each hole with no glove to avoid the white hand syndrome.  At least Shivas is man enough to admit to that vanity!

Actually though, golfing without a glove (not to mention without sunglasses or hat) is a good antidote to the weird tanlines I'd otherwise get from biking wearing fingerless gloves on both hands and sunglasses/helmet.  The shorts I wear golfing not all being the same length prevents the weird bicycle shorts tan line on the legs as well. :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »
DYK: Carter Beauford, drummer for The Dave Matthews Band plays the drums wearing Footjoy golf gloves. Rolling Stone ranks him 10th best all time.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 12:27:56 AM »
I played a practice round with Bruce Crampton at the 1971 Crosby, he played gloveless.

I have always used a glove but have never removed it to putt.

I always thought that when seeing a player wear two gloves he was the biggest dork in the world. After some unpleasant health issues last year I am on a lifetime regimen of usiing Coumadin, a blood thinner. Last month, to prevent continuing bruising of the fingers on my right hand l started to use a glove... it works.

Bob

Matthew Rose

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 01:01:08 AM »
Well, count me among those who take mine off to putt. And also on short chip shots.

I don't know what it is, but I feel more comfortable without it on shots that require touch. Whereas I feel like I need it when I'm driving.... I probably grip the club a little too hard.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 04:50:14 PM »
Hey Bob you dork
I'm glad a year on you are playing and I assume winning some $
Frankly I bet you make the 2 glove thing work anyway
Wear an extra sweater at night and I hope you have to take Coumadin for a long lifetime
Peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back