News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Re: History of the golf glove?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
The oldest ad I have saved is 1898 for Fownes Golf Gloves, probably from 'The Golfer'. They show up in the ad section of those old magazines on a regular basis.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
History of the golf glove.
Quite simply the finest thread golfclubatlas has ever given the world.
Anthony, I thank you from the very heart of my bottom.
liebe,
der F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
For most players, the golf glove is nothing more than a marketing ruse. It makes the left hand look larger and therefore stronger.

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
I wear 1 glove if the temp is above 90 (in a humid place) or if the temp is much below 45, though I prefer not to Play at all in those conditions any more. I wear two gloves if it is raining steadily and I want to keep playing.

BCrosby

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »
To try answer to the question, the first time I saw anyone wear a golf glove was Arnold Palmer in the early 60's. Among my peer group at the time, we all immediately started wearing them too.

I can't believe, however, that Palmer was the first to wear one on the Tour.

Bob

Dave McCollum

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
Once, newly arrived in town, sitting in the pub of the Eagle Hotel in Dornoch, drinking water and reading a book, I reached for a refill and discovered it to be a gin tonic.  The bartender shrugged her head to the left indicating a nearby table occupied by 3 or 4 guys.  I raised my glass as a toast of thanks.  I was waved over for an amusing chat and more drinks.  I don’t know how they pegged me as a golfer—white left hand, good tan, the book (don’t remember), bad wardrobe, new face in a golf village, whatever—but worn a glove ever since as a sentimental reminder.  Was the start of some fine days.

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
Once, newly arrived in town, sitting in the pub of the Eagle Hotel in Dornoch, drinking water and reading a book, I reached for a refill and discovered it to be a gin tonic.  The bartender shrugged her head to the left indicating a nearby table occupied by 3 or 4 guys.  I raised my glass as a toast of thanks.  I was waved over for an amusing chat and more drinks.  I don’t know how they pegged me as a golfer—white left hand, good tan, the book (don’t remember), bad wardrobe, new face in a golf village, whatever—but worn a glove ever since as a sentimental reminder.  Was the start of some fine days.

Dave- I`m only a little less teary eyed than after watching Brian`s Song for the first time. ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:59:21 AM by Tim Martin »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
OK, I made that up.  They stole my wallet and beat the shit out of me.  Like that one better?

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
OK, I made that up.  They stole my wallet and beat the shit out of me.  Like that one better?

Dave-If the 3 or 4 guys was changed to 3 or 4 Dallas Cheerleaders it would add something to the story. Never the less it may still be worthy of an original After School Special. ;D

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
The oldest ad I have saved is 1898 for Fownes Golf Gloves, probably from 'The Golfer'. The iron fist?

Dave McCollum

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »

Dave-If the 3 or 4 guys was changed to 3 or 4 Dallas Cheerleaders it would add something to the story. Never the less it may still be worthy of an original After School Special. ;D

So I've heard.  I promise to be more snarly in the future.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
Once, newly arrived in town, sitting in the pub of the Eagle Hotel in Dornoch, drinking water and reading a book, I reached for a refill and discovered it to be a gin tonic.  The bartender shrugged her head to the left indicating a nearby table occupied by 3 or 4 guys.  I raised my glass as a toast of thanks.  I was waved over for an amusing chat and more drinks.  I don’t know how they pegged me as a golfer—white left hand, good tan, the book (don’t remember), bad wardrobe, new face in a golf village, whatever—but worn a glove ever since as a sentimental reminder.  Was the start of some fine days.

Didn't the same thing happen to you at Bandon? That getting waved over to a table.

Anthony

Dave McCollum

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »
Yeah, but I knew that nutcase. 

PThomas

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »
i really didnt want to get into this thread...but i cant believe nobody mentioned that Hogan didnt use a glove
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2011, 04:49:40 PM »
Take a look:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/tlgolf/articles/golf-glove-story

Just bumping this thread as I stumbled across something that might be of interest. In the article at the above link the author mentions that the ... earliest hand-in-glove photos I found were of Sam Snead posing for a publicity shot in a bunker prior to the 1937 Nassau Open and of Ralph Guldahl shaking the hand of his caddy after the 1937 or 1938 U.S. Open (he won both).

I've found some even earlier pictures from 1904 of Ted Blackwell and the Hon. Osmund Scott wearing gloves. These pictures are contained in George W. Beldam's wonderful book "Great Golfers - Their Methods at a Glance", Macmillan & Co. London, 1904, pp.354-374.

There's a version (published in NY in 1904) of the book at the Internet Archive, but unfortunately it does not have as many photographs or text as the London version. Here's the link to the book at the Internet Archive; it's very interesting to look at the stances and swings of golfers from over a century ago. For example, Bernard Darwin's putting stance was nearly 4 feet wide and his hands were level with his knees !!!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/greatgolfers00beld

Here are some pictures from the book. Blackwell is wearing a black glove, and Scott appears to be wearing gloves on both hands.

Ted Blackwell first ...

and the Hon. Osmond Scott (talk about going past the horizontal !!!)...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back