News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Re: Royal Colwood by Dale Jackson is now posted under In My Opinion
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 11:30:23 PM »
He grew up in Dublin and went to university there.  As part of the university team, he played all the great links courses in the UK. including TOC.  What he demonstrated in his designs right from the beginning has more in common with his peers, rather than the generation before him.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 08:30:16 AM »
Dale / Jeff:

Maybe this might interest you both. Macan's census return form for April 1911 is located here at the Irish National Archives,

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Pembroke_Road/6155/

If you click on the "House Hold Return (Form A)", you'll be able to view that actual form in pdf:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000127412/

Pretty cool !!! :o

Dónal.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:29 AM »
That is amazing!  There is a widespread misconception on the west cost that Macan emigrated in 1910, and while pretty much disproved, this certainly does it.  Thanks Donal.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 10:29:48 AM »
Yeah, thanks Donal. Very interesting.

Dale: My files state Macan immigrated to Canada in 1912; the year he first won the British Columbia Am. at Victoria GC.

It's interesting Macan states he's "single" (and living as a "Boarder") on this April 2, 1911 census. I've long heard that he immigrated to Canada (in 1912) "with his wife and young family" in tow. Obviously he could have been married, and his wife could have had a child, prior to leaving for B.C. the following year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:35:51 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

BCrosby

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
Mingay writes:

"Macan read and re-read John Low's landmark book, Concerning Golf, published in 1903, while recovering from amputation of a leg resulting from injury sustained at Vimy Ridge, during the First World War.

As many of you know, Concerning Golf is recognized as the first publication to outline basic principles of golf course architecture; many of the great, pioneer golf architects, including Alister MacKenzie, were also influenced by Low's early writings.

While it's only loosely applicable to the original design at Royal Colwood, I find it extremely interesting that close to the end of his life, Macan said that anyone interested in learning about golf course architecture only need to read Chapter 19 and 20 in Bobby Jones' autobiography (Golf is my Game, published in 1959), explaining the development of Augusta National. I think this provides a very clear, very interesting perspective on Macan's philosophy."

Macan got it right about Low. Why Low's chapter on gca in his seminal Concerning Golf doesn't get more attention today escapes me. Low's introduction to the book is also a must read. He was a powerful influence very early on in the development of the ideas that were later called "strategic architecture". Arguably, no one has ever expressed those ideas more clearly or more economically.  

Bob  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:46:24 PM by BCrosby »

Dale Jackson

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

Dale: My files state Macan immigrated to Canada in 1912; the year he first won the British Columbia Am. at Victoria GC.

It's interesting Macan states he's "single" (and living as a "Boarder") on this April 2, 1911 census. I've long heard that he immigrated to Canada (in 1912) "with his wife and young family" in tow. Obviously he could have been married, and his wife could have had a child, prior to leaving for B.C. the following year.

Jeff, I believe that Macan came to Victoria late in 1912, the BC Amateur was held late in the year.  For some reason I have it in my mind his wife and daughter came a little later but can not find anything to support that.  I am meeting with Mike Riste over the holidays and no doubt will learn a lot.

I think I may have some pieces Mike is missing and vice versa, and together we might shed some light on the very early days of Colwood and maybe a little bout Macan.  I will kerp you posted.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »

Jeff, I believe that Macan came to Victoria late in 1912, the BC Amateur was held late in the year.

Dale & Jeff:

According to the Irish Times of 17 June 1912, Macan played in the Irish Bar Golfing Society President's & Captain's prize at Portmarnock on Friday 14 June 1912. He received the 2nd gross prize with a gross score of 82 (playing off plus 2).

I will post a copy of the notice when I get a little more time.

Dónal.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »
Dale and Jeff
I had a 24 hour pass on The Scotsman digital archive as I was searching for Mackenzie mentions, and had a bit of time left over so did a search for your man. Found quite a few references, all to do with his golf play, and found some on his play in the 1919 Active Service competition which was the one I sent you a photo of him playing in. Interestingly, the final of that event between Lord Charles Hope and Captain Lister Kaye was mentioned by Mackenzie in Spirit of St Andrews (p237) as a match he witnessed. Here is a possible link between Mackenzie and Macan as I would think there might be a chance that Macan, being interested in architecture may have sought out Mackenzie, assuming he knew he was there. So every likelihood he would have also perhaps met Colt, Alison, Hutchison, etc during his play in England both pre war and immediately post war.

I will email these articles to you both. From what I could see he played for Dublin University in one event and of course the Irish Bar, as well as the Irish Zingari (which has something to do with Gypsies I believe). Nothing in depth about him, but you can trace where he was and what he was playing in. I didn't have the time left to get every mention of him, so there are a few others still there if you get the chance to search further.
cheers Neil

Dale Jackson

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 01:23:41 AM »
Neil, thank you so much, this is fascinating stuff.  The possible link between Mackenzie and Macan might be extremely helpful.  Please check your email for a reply to your email to Jeff and I.  Hope you had a great Christmas. 

David Lott

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »
Mr. Jackson thank you for the interesting write up. The tee photo for number 12 is quite wonderful. My daughter has just moved to Bellingham, Washington from the midwest so there is an actual change I might get to visit. Thanks again.
David Lott

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
Dale & Jeff:

Here's the Irish Times golf notes from 17 June 1912.

Dónal.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »

Jeff, I believe that Macan came to Victoria late in 1912, the BC Amateur was held late in the year.  For some reason I have it in my mind his wife and daughter came a little later but can not find anything to support that.  I am meeting with Mike Riste over the holidays and no doubt will learn a lot.

I think I may have some pieces Mike is missing and vice versa, and together we might shed some light on the very early days of Colwood and maybe a little bout Macan.  I will kerp you posted.

Dale/Jeff,

I just found a little more into on Arthur Macan in Ancestry.com
Perhaps you already know this.

He arrived at Quebec port on 19 July 1912 onboard the "Empress of Britain". The port of departure was Liverpool, but it's probable that it stopped at Dublin and Queenstown (Cobh) on the way to Canada. He is listed as married and appears to have been travelling alone, as there is no listing for his wife Juliet Adelaide.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back