News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

2009 Walker Cup
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »
This year's Walker Cup at Merion shapes up to be the perfect marriage (if there is such a thing ;)) between course and event. Even more so than when the Walker Cup was at Pine Valley in 1985, Merion with its oodles of half par holes seems the ideal match play course. Holes like the 2nd, 7th, and the 10th (some would even add in the 1st, 4th and 8th  :o which is beyond my ability to comprehend) will likely see some amazing fireworks and swings in momentum.

A friend of mine at Merion asked that I post the link to remind everyone of the September 12-13 dates for this year's event and here is the web site http://www.2009walkercup.org/cms/ where you can buy tickets. GolfClubAtlas.com is thrilled to be doing a Feature Interview with US team captain Buddy Marucci, which we expect to post in the August timeframe.

Who is figuring on attending? After the sumptuous dinner I bought Tom Paul this past Saturday at The Homestead, he owes me big and maybe a small group of us could gather at his farm one of the evenings around the event?

My favorite event that I've ever been to in a non-playing capacity ;D is far and away the Walker Cup at Pine Valley where I got in an argument with Herbert Warren Wind over his penultimate paragraph on Pine Valley in the original World Atlas of Golf. Eventually, he relented and admitted that the eighteenth there was a very fine finishing hole.

What such memories will come from the 2009 event? For those that have never been to a Walker Cup, this is the one not to miss and I hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Bill_McBride

Re: 2009 Walker Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »
Wish I could go but it's too close to the Buda Cup in Kent.  >:( :-\

The Walker Cups at Chicago (2005) and Royal County Down (2007) were two of the best events I've ever attended.  You're close to really terrific players, the match play aspect cannot be understated, and Merion should be superb.  It's not to be missed.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »
I'll be there. It's on my calendar. ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I went to the Walker Cup in 2005 at Chicago and had a total blast. I wish I could make it to Philly for it...but it's too close to some event that everyone keeps calling my wedding  ;) :-\

Can't wait to watch on TV though!
H.P.S.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
I'll be there at the entire Walker Cup and I'd like to attend the get together at the barn on the farm of Tom Paul----that is if Bad Tom can get permission from his wife and Good Tom will allow Bad Tom on the property.

So that's why you practically chopped off my hand when I tried to stick a load of money for dinner at the Homestead in your pocket? Smart guy you are!  ;)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »
I alreay have tickets for the Walker Cup, arriving in the NE Thursday night. I will be for a  week plus because the Crump Cup will be the next weekend and that is my only chance to see Pine Valley. Mayday had a thread about 3 weeks ago.

BCyrgalis

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 01:02:23 AM »
Ran,

That story about talking to Herbert Warren Wind about the 18th at Pine Valley is just incredible.  What a scene: Here you are, strolling around the most exclusive and praised course in U.S., watching what could be the purest event in international golf, shooting the breeze with the best American-born golf writer of all time.  And you're disputing something he wrote in the World Atlas!  Just unbeliable stuff - and a perfect example of why this site is great and why I wanted to become a member in the first place.

I knew the Walker Cup was being played at Merion this year, and, considering I spent my senior year of college living down the block and, maybe once or twice, sneaking ou there, I really wanted to go.  Now, after hearing this HWW story, forget about it.  It's like the already-existing aura for an event like that has taken on a whole new meaning, and I'm going to do everything I can to get there.

Hell, I'm starting a thread right after this - my first - to see if I can conjure up any more stories about great golf writers.  Thanks.

Michael Blake

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:28:06 AM »
I'll be there as a volunteer marshal.
Would love to a attend a get together at Tom's GCA Central Command Center, or anywhere else.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 10:34:26 AM »
I can't wait :)

Time to take the high-speed light rail from King of Prussia - no way I'm driving!

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
 ;D :D ;D

Hey Ran , great site!  Might I inquire what your discussion with H. Warren Wind on #18 was about ?

thanks

archie struthers

Chuck Brown

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
I was there at Chicago Golf for the last U.S. Walker Cup; the USGA does a great job with the event.  I am planning on being there at Merion this fall.  And, I'd be very interested in any realted GCA event.

I was just at the NCAA championships at Inverness, a course which Tom Doak has compared to Merion.  I was astonished at the way the collegians attacked the course, distance-wise.  I simply cannot imagine what will happen if a Hurley or a Burgoon is turned loose on Merion.  Inverness is 7200 yards.  They were hitting driver-wedge to some of the Par-5s.  They were hitting 3w-gap wedge to many of the Par-4's.

Michael Blake

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »
Chuck,

Click to see the scoring during the 2005 US Amateur at Merion:

http://www.usamateur.org/2005/results/

I think (hope) these guys will need to think a bit, rather than bomb it on every hole.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
I plan on making the drive from CT.  After playing Merion last summer for the first time, I decided that I had to be there to watch the Walker Cup.  I hope to be able to meet and spend time with some GCA'ers. 

Mike

Jason Mandel

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »

I would be happy to set some golf up at White Manor.  We are literally around the corner from Tom Paul's farm and not more than 15 min from Merion.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »
Ran,
   I will be there. This event has been on my calendar for a couple of years. I look forward to hearing more about your conversation with Mr. Wind.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
The price is the same for corporate tickets. Corporate sales are simply for blocks of tickets larger than 6 which is the limit for individual purchases.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:29:21 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »
Michael, the collegians didn't destroy Inverness, scoring-wise, and I know the '05 Ams didn't destroy Merion either.

But I just wonder how many times a player like Hurley would hit driver at Merion.  And how many approaches will be "wedge."

You can quite safely assume that I am not a critic of the fabulous Merion, and that I am a critic of the state of equipment regulations...

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 09:57:03 AM »
On a Walker Cup related note can anyone provide me with a link to the match by match results for the 1985 Walker Cup at Pine Valley?  I was speaking a couple of weeks ago to someone who played in the '85 Walker Cup so  I was intrigued to check out all the scores.  My searches through google only produced an overall score not the results of each match.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »
On a Walker Cup related note can anyone provide me with a link to the match by match results for the 1985 Walker Cup at Pine Valley?  I was speaking a couple of weeks ago to someone who played in the '85 Walker Cup so  I was intrigued to check out all the scores.  My searches through google only produced an overall score not the results of each match.

I am having trouble getting the first day results, but here are those from day two:

FOURSOMES

Scott Verplank, Dallas, and Jay Sigel, Berwyn, halved with Paul Mayo and Colin Montgomerie.

Sam Randolph, Santa Barbara, Calif., and Jerry Haas, Belleville, Ill., def. Garth McGimpsey and John Hawksworth, 3 and 2.

Bob Lewis, Warren, Ohio, and Clark Burroughs, Overland Park, Kan., def. Peter Baker and Peter McEvoy, 2 and 1.

Mike Podolak, Fargo, N.D., and Davis Love, St. Simons Island, Ga., def. Cecil Bloice and Sandy Stephen, 3 and 2.

SINGLES

Hawksworth def. Sigel, 4 and 3; Baker def. Randy Sonnier, Woodlands, Texas, 5 and 4; Love def. McEvoy, 5 and 3; Verplank def. Montgomerie, 1-up; Randolph halved with McGimpsey; George MacGregor def. Burroughs, 3 and 2; Stephen def. Duffy Waldorf, Tarzana, Calif., 2 and 1; Lewis def. Bloice, 4 and 2.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:05 AM »
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry... but four years prior to that Pine Valley Walker Cup, two different results could have been published as such:

Tom Huckaby (North Hollywood, CA) defeated Duffy Waldorf (Tarzana, CA) 3 and 1
Tom Huckaby (North Hollywood, CA) defeated Duffy Waldorf (Tarzana, CA) by four strokes

OK, I am not sure about those exact scores, but as a senior in high school I did play Waldorf twice and beat him both times.. once match play, once stroke play.

Full disclosure:  he was not very good at that point.  Estimate 5-6 handicap.  He was also a royal hot-head club thrower and a pain in the ass to play with or against.  He got CRAZY great quickly thereafter though, somehow making the UCLA team, winning the State Am (or something like that), getting tour card, becoming beloved wine aficionado, etc.

Now back to planning meetings at an event I'd love to attend, but will be at least 2500 miles away from.

:'(

Ray Cross

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »
I'll be there for sure....and would love to meet others, either there or anyplace else that GCA posters can get together.
I'll continue to follow this or other threads to see what happens.

Thanks
Ray

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »
I'll be there, and volunteering as well.  I know of a little place for liquid sustenance and cheap food very close by that could be a candidate for gathering after the golf.  And a few of the Merion caddies have been known to frequent the place as well (Roache and O'Brien's).
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »
The majority of American players were just announced. Ten today, two more after the US Am.

Bud Cauley, 19, of Jacksonville, Fla.
Rickie Fowler, 20, of Murrieta, Calif.
Brendan Gielow, 21, of Muskegon, Mich.
Brian Harman, 22, of Savannah, Ga.
Morgan Hoffmann, 20, of Saddle Brook, N.J.
Adam Mitchell, 22, of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Nathan Smith, 31, of Pittsburgh, Pa.
Drew Weaver, 22, of High Point, N.C.
Two more players will be named to the team following the conclusion of the 2009 U.S. Amateur Championship, scheduled to be played Aug. 24-30 at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Okla.

Any news on the gathering taked about in http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39721.0/ ?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:13:55 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »
Any chance that Tim Jackson makes this team after his showing at the Senior Open or not?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
Any chance that Tim Jackson makes this team after his showing at the Senior Open or not?

I think he has to be on a short list.

Has Brian Harman done anything since winning the Junior Am. 7 years ago???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back