News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Best green complex ever?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »

My favorite at TOC is 12. It has the potential to be very east or very difficult

Anthony

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »
Anthony - Thats a great one too, definitely high on my list as well, but they dont call #11 the shortest par 5 in the world "fur nuttin"!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
Anthony - Thats a great one too, definitely high on my list as well, but they dont call #11 the shortest par 5 in the world "fur nuttin"!

Jaeger,

Great call!! Last trip we could not finish the hole because the wind would not allow us to place the ball. One time I landed left of the pin at 11 with a little slice and ended up 10 feet from te pin at 7. Have it on video.

Welcome to the site,

Anthony

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
Jaeger;

Just for the sake of accuracy, the 2nd hole is the Eden hole.
The double plateau green is the first hole.

Best,
Tom
the pres

Peter Galea

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 12:47:09 AM »
9 CPC
"chief sherpa"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:05 AM »
Ben / Bill:  It has never been my intention for #5 and #10 greens to be a "double green" -- I'm on record in several places as saying the only course which should have double greens is The Old Course.  The superintendent at Old Macdonald just started walk-mowing the two greens together during grow-in. 

Last time I was out I asked him if that really made it easier to mow, and he said it didn't make much difference either way; and from a playability standpoint it really doesn't make a difference either, because you putt from thirty yards off the greens in Bandon anyway.  So I told them I don't really care how they mow it, whatever works for them.  But I don't like hearing people call it a double green.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 04:58:07 AM »
What about the Himalayas putting green at St Andrews?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 06:21:06 AM »

Mr Gray

So you like the The Heathery (in) Hole or the 12th Hole on TOC, so by courtesy of The Links Trust attached are two aerial photos of the 12th for you. First general aerial shot of the hole

Second The Approach to the 12th Hole

Melvyn

John Kirk

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Without question, the greatest green complex is...

:D

Bryan Drennon

Re: Best green complex ever? New
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 09:03:45 AM »
I'm going to give you one you may not think about, the #17th at Augusta. The pros think it's easily the most difficult green to read on the course. Ben Crenshaw said that if he were to build a practice green in his yard, this would be the model. It's one of those things that won't slap you in the face, but slowly grows on you, then you totally get it. The contours are so subtle and so difficult, yet very fair. It's very hard to tell what is uphill and what is downhill. It's clearly not a severely sloped green, i.e. #5, 13, 14 etc., but it's beauty, to me, is in its subtle difficulty.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:37:00 AM by Bryan Drennon »

Emil Weber

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
I was impressed with the 9th green at Saunton East... wow. Why does nobody talk about Saunton here on GCA?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 10:01:34 AM »
Pine Valley #10?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 10:12:48 AM »

I think a great green should give you variety. I like TOC 12 for this reason. Is there a green that has the extremes as this one on a major course? Again at times it can be extremely easy or extremely easy.

Anthony

JESII

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »

I think a great green should give you variety. I like TOC 12 for this reason. Is there a green that has the extremes as this one on a major course? Again at times it can be extremely easy or extremely easy.

Anthony

Now that's variety...

Mike Hendren

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 11:24:50 AM »
This thread highlights the fact that we're all suckers for the sensational,  spectacular and reknowned.  The 4th and 7th greens on the modest 9 holer I grew up playing are as good as anything I've ever seen - likely  by sheer happenstance since there was no architect.

One of the great joys in the game is stumbling upon a tremendous green complex at an otherwise pedestrian golf course.  There are tens of thousands of them out there.

Another green worth mentioning is the 8th at Love Design Group's Origins Course:  A simple, small oval (deeper front to back) with two small depressions on either side halfway back, resulting in a green that plays like a figure-8.  Brilliant.

As for Tom Doak, I like his second green at  Tumble Creek as much as anything else I've seen of his.  Just a simple green at elevation with a vertical spine running rising through the back half. 

Bogey
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:28:25 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Alister Matheson

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 12:51:07 AM »
There is no doubt that the green complex at number 7 at OldMac is great, but I don't think you can say that one green complex is the greatest in the world. Could you prefer a punchbowl green to a skyline green? It's the variety of green complexes that may make a WHOLE COURSE have 'the greatest green complexes in the world'.
Emil ,
       I think your spot on "its the Variety and quality  of green complexes that may make a WHOLE COURSE have the greatest green complexes in the world ".

My vote goes to Royal Dornoch. ;D
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Paul Nash

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »
This has always been my favourite green complex - it is in the UK and many should easily guess it
Cheers
Paul

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »
I'm a big fan of the sixth at NGLA and the sixth at Austin Golf Club.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:09:01 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Emil Weber

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
There is no doubt that the green complex at number 7 at OldMac is great, but I don't think you can say that one green complex is the greatest in the world. Could you prefer a punchbowl green to a skyline green? It's the variety of green complexes that may make a WHOLE COURSE have 'the greatest green complexes in the world'.
Emil ,
       I think your spot on "its the Variety and quality  of green complexes that may make a WHOLE COURSE have the greatest green complexes in the world ".

My vote goes to Royal Dornoch. ;D

Ally,
Good Call!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back