News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

CC of Farmington, Farmington, CT (Devereux Emmet)
« on: June 04, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
Hello all--

I'm slated to play in a qualifier for the CT Amateur on June 15 at CC of Farmington, for which the CSGA has not allowed formal practice rounds (citing busy Club schedule).  I've played the course once but it was a long time ago.  I looked over the website as well as Michael Fay's interesting piece on it from a few years ago and I was wondering if anyone might have some advice about or pictures of the golf course that might be of aid.

Thanks very much.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jim_Kennedy

Re: CC of Farmington, Farmington, CT (Devereux Emmet)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »
Tim,
That's too bad about the lack of practice rounds, gives an undeserved advantage to members who are entering or others who are more familiar with the course. Does your Dad have a contact at CCF?

I have no wealth of information, only played it a handful of times, but as I recall you never want to be above any cup as the greens are usually very quick. I putted right off the second a couple of times, but it's not as bad now. Don't miss any of the raised greens, they are a bitch to get back on. I don't think it's necessary to try and overpower the course, there are places where you can let one rip, but it's not always in your best interest to try that approach.

Maybe you should email Mike Fay.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:52:37 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:51:32 PM »
Tim:
I didn't play Farmington enough times to have any great specific suggestions (it's also been more than 15 years), but my one general recollection/suggestion is that a lot of the par 4's seemed to play shorter than they're marked, and you'd rather not be playing out of the trees, so err on the side of hitting iron off the tee.  (All the other usual suggestions -- stay below the hole, don't short-side yourself, etc. -- also apply in spades.)

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »
Tim -

Did I miss something? Farmington agrees to hold a qualifier but says, sorry, no practice rounds? And the CSGA says no problemo?? Tell me there is more to the story.

Bob

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »
Tim -

Did I miss something? Farmington agrees to hold a qualifier but says, sorry, no practice rounds? And the CSGA says no problemo?? Tell me there is more to the story.

Bob

Bob--

I know it; I've never seen that happen before.  the Letter To Competitors says the following under the "Practice Rounds" section: "Practice rounds will not be available due to a very busy schedule of events at the club."  There have already been two other qualifiers, and practice rounds were available at both courses, including the private Clinton CC in Clinton, CT.  Very strange that they'd schedule a qualifier amidst a "very busy schedule of events," but oh well.  I might go over there sometime next week and see if I can at least drive a cart around the course in the evening so I won't intrude.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back