News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Tom Lehman plays around at The Prairie Club
« on: June 03, 2009, 12:14:19 AM »

I was fortunate enough to have my cell phone with me when I came across a fellow worker at The Prairie Club yesterday.
Look close you will see that Tom uses only one glove while doing his bunker work :)
Tom's comment: "I am not sure that bunker construction is a good warm-up for the Memorial" 

Apologizes for the poor quality of this photo. 
Tom and Chris Brands have created some very interesting golf at the Prairie Club. The spring has been less than ideal for growing grass, but the courses are likely to be hot topics on this site once people get a chance to see the finished product.

I will not comment on the designs at the Prairie Club at this time, other than to say that it is enjoyable just being at the Prairie Club, especially with a little grass.  I just wanted to show that Tom is a "Hands-On" designer!

Jason Hines

Re: Tom Lehman plays around at The Prairie Club
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »
Hi Ron,

Besides the course, what are the other enjoyable aspects about being at the Prairie Club?  How are the other aspects of the club coming along?  I was going to try visit the site last month but of course, my life got in the way…

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:53:45 AM »
Jason,  I can't specifically answer your question, but, I can tell you that even without the golf course, spending time on that property has always been special. I have a friend who was friends with the gentleman who sold Dr. Trimble the land, a long time ago. When he speaks about the times he spent on property he gets this twinkle in his eye.

I suspect the nature of the property is dramatically enhanced by the variety present. Having the Sand Hills transition into the more verdant and varied river topography, is a mini form of 'meeting of land and sea'. So to speak. Throw in a few pines trees and you likely have a spot that everyone can enjoy.  ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Will Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:45:03 AM »
For more on Tom and his hands-on style see:

http://punchbowlgolf.com/2008/10/tom-lehman-at-the-prairie-club/

I think that this might have been the exact same week last year that he was out there swinging fence posts against other fence posts to break them and put them in a bunker. Tom and Chris were a pleasure to work with.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
I can't wait to see the Prairie Club! Here's a recent story that was in Executive Golfer magazine: http://theprairieclub.com/Executive-Golfer.pdf

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »
Did Lehman use the Gil Hanse routing or was it changed?

Will Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »
Completely different part of the property. Tom & Chris put in a lot of time on the routing.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
Joel - It's significantly different. From what I can tell of the plan for the property is that "northern" part of the Lehman course may take up some of the "southern" portion of the originial Hanse/Shackelford design. Gil's routing started out in the dunes and worked it's way toward a finish at the canyon rim to where his Horse Course now is and the club house. Lehman's course is strictly in the dunes. The Marsh Course (Pines) moves south and west from the clubhouse and has holes that will hug the canyon rim but that weren't part of Gil's drawing that I saw.

If somebody else who has seen both plans would like to comment further, fire away.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »
Joel,

I was under the impression that while both the Marsh & Lehman courses did not use the Hanse routing, they did not prevent it from being added as a third course in the future.

TK

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »
I can't wait to see the Prairie Club! Here's a recent story that was in Executive Golfer magazine: http://theprairieclub.com/Executive-Golfer.pdf

Tony- Thanks for that article. The theme for the Horse course is pretty fascinating.

"The Horse will have no tee boxes, only expansive fairways and 10 greens. The concept is that the winner of the previous hole—like the basketball game of ‘horse’—gets to choose the stance, lie, shot, and green for the next hole."

Has anyone else ever heard of this concept? I can picture it being quite a way to conclude a day after 36 holes on the Dunes and Pines--take a few cigars and beers out for a game of 'Horse'.

Jason Hines

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
When he speaks about the times he spent on property he gets this twinkle in his eye.

Adam, I know you and I have spoken about this before, but the statement above is what golf in the sand hills will offer me someday for the precious time spent with my sons after they have moved on in life.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »

I noticed that the grass is bent grass. Does bent grow better than a fescue mix in Nebraska?

I am not against bent grass but it makes me think that the course will allow carts.

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 08:38:13 PM »
Steve,

This concept--although a bit more loosely regulated--exists at Phil Friedman's land in Bandon directly north of the Resort.  It is called Bally Bandon Sheep Ranch.  You have probably heard of it here on the site.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »
Scott, I'd assume carts are integral to the project. Surely the masses don't care to walk.

As for the how the region handles different grasses... The last two winters have had different characteristics. Two years ago the Poa and Bents checked out. This winter, just the poa. As I understand it, the snow cover is important. This year we had little, and the poa's demise left little bare spots in the greens. No worry, it's coming back after a couple of fert apps.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Will Smith

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
Carts will be available on both courses. I know Tom and Chris hope that the majority of the play will be walking on the Dunes course. They laid out the course and designed it with this in mind.

It can get hot out that way and I do think a fair bit of the "masses" will opt to ride. Seems to work at Sand Hills.

Emil Weber

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »
Why did the prairie club decide to let Marsh and Lehman design 18-hole courses instead of Gil Hanse? ???

Will Smith

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
Emil-
This was covered on here last year. But I think it boils down to- he who owns the development, makes the decisions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back