News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: The best trend in golf course maintenance?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 01:56:10 AM »
By quite a margin the best trend I have seen is the clearing of trees and for those heathland courses encouraging the return of heather.

The second best trend is that some clubs with links have cottoned onto recreating proper links by encouraging fine grasses to grow. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Troy Alderson

Re: The best trend in golf course maintenance?
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »

Hollow tining is ONLY good for removing thatch and when the soil profile needs to be changed to a more sand, otherwise it is a waist of time with the new aeration technology out there today.  The goal of aeration is to loosen the soil and provide air space for gas exchange and water infiltration.  Solid tining, slicing, and shatter tine technology all do that and without the mess of hollow tining.  I do think that hollow tining should be done at least once per year, but the Planet-Aire and Aeravator and any other slicing aerator will do the job the rest of the year.

Thatch is a result of watering and fertilizing, the turf growing and dieing and decaying.  Reduce the water and fertilizer, keep the soil profile as dry as possible and the thatch problems will not be as bad.  I do understand that each golf course has it's own micro-climate and demands, and maybe the golf course you are at requires more thatch control.  Technology has taken golf course aeration to new levels of quality and efficiency of maintenance, join the club if you haven't.  How's that for a difference of opinion friend.

Troy,

In your first paragraph, you seem to contradict yourself. First, you say, "Hollow tining is ONLY good for removing thatch and when the soil profile needs to be changed to a more sand, otherwise it is a waist of time..". Then, you finish the paragraph by recommending "that hollow tining should be done at least once per year".

I fertilize greens with about 2.5 lbs N/M per year. Does that sound like it would cause excessive thatch? Turf does need some nutrition and growth to tolerate normal traffic and wear. My greens do require water to measure up to golfers' expectations. Localized dry spots bring complaints.

I have done direct comparisons with hollow tining and solid tining on sand-based greens, and found the hollow tining to be much more effective. 

Steve,

My thoughts finished that sentence, my fingers did not.  I do agree that thatch removal will always be necessary on a golf course and hollow tining should done at least once per year to change the soil profile if that is the goal of the superintendent.  I am sure that on your golf course hollow tine aeration works the best, but that is not the case at all golf courses, which I am sure you were not implying.  If the turf has thatch to remove then hollow tine at least once per year and since turf will for the most part always have thatch, then continue to hollow tine.  I do not believe that hollow tining reduces compaction as well as shatter tine or deep solid tine aeration and I do not believe that hollow tining is the best tool to reduce thatch.  I would rather use vertical cutting and slicing.  Do not get me wrong, use what works for you and the course you are at, each golf course is different.

I have to go to work now.

Troy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back