News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: My Weekend Trip to French Lick (w/ pictures of the Dye Course)
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »
Pat,
Its not a course for the average golfer, but who else is going to play it? I guess they have the Club Pro PGA Championship next year, but I still find it hard to believe they will get a major event. And even then, given the angles and narrowness even pros won't hit those fairways regularly, especially if the wind blows.

Andy-

I'm agreeing that it will be a tough sell, in my mini-profile I only noted how it seemed to be a serious goal of theirs. When I mentioned how cool I thought it was that the pro shop is an old carrige house, the Pro was quick to note that it was temporary and they were building a huge clubhouse next to the range that "would allow them to hold the type of tournaments they are looking for." Bold statement for a bold course.

I agree that with any sort of crosswind it becomes very hard to hit those fairways (and greens). 
H.P.S.

Nick Church

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
Just finished a buddy trip to French Lick this past weekend.  Everyone agreed based on price & difficulty that the Dye course was not an option.  To be fair, most of us are "average / weekend golfers" & as such not looking to be beaten to a pulp. 

However, I think the Dye Course's reputation for extreme penalty distinguishes it from other courses like TPC Sawgrass or Whistling Straits or PGA West.  Each of those courses is "not for the average golfer" & yet do plenty of rounds because the punishment is considered "fun" (at least for a single round).

I would have been curious to play the course once, from the correct set of tees, but not at $350.  Instead, two of us made a side-trip to Victoria National on the way to French Lick.  That side trip was much more appealing to us.

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 04:56:12 PM »
Just finished a buddy trip to French Lick this past weekend.  Everyone agreed based on price & difficulty that the Dye course was not an option.  To be fair, most of us are "average / weekend golfers" & as such not looking to be beaten to a pulp. 

However, I think the Dye Course's reputation for extreme penalty distinguishes it from other courses like TPC Sawgrass or Whistling Straits or PGA West.  Each of those courses is "not for the average golfer" & yet do plenty of rounds because the punishment is considered "fun" (at least for a single round).

I would have been curious to play the course once, from the correct set of tees, but not at $350.  Instead, two of us made a side-trip to Victoria National on the way to French Lick.  That side trip was much more appealing to us.

What did you think of the Ross course?
H.P.S.

Nick Church

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
I really liked it.  Certainly humbled me from the tips (82 and 81, finished the 2nd round with a birdie).  For comparison, I shot 74 on Friday at Victoria National from the 6800 yard tees.  An excellent score for my first look, but the Ross course's greens & terrain more than made the difference in difficulty.  I actually three-putted from 3-4 feet on the 10th hole @ Ross.  As others have described, I kept noticing a lot of bewildered smiles from my group & others as the green complexes mimicked pinball with our putts.  A very fun challenge.

My only point of discussion is the repetitive length on the par 3s.  Three of the four play 240, 249, and 252.  If it was only one par 3 at 240+, no quibble.  Two... okl, modern technology, I could concede.  But three is too much.  If it was 200, 220, 250, maybe it's not so bad.  However, as it stands that is three first shots that require a three-wood.  Too much to my taste.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:23:10 PM by Nick Church »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 09:40:54 PM »
Nick,
Good choice with going to Victoria National. I really liked that one, the final five holes are a great challenge and well done and the first 13 are pretty darn good too. I like the variety of lengths on the par fours--its challenging without being overbearing.

I agree with your comments on the Ross Course. In addition, the majority of the par fours are mid-length with really only a couple longer ones and no real shorties (perhaps #2). I think the greens and bunkers and interesting layout easily overcome that from a variety standpoint, however.

Pat,
Agreed. I didn't mean to go after your comments so much as the actual possibility of a big tournament coming to French Lick. Anything is possible, but it'll be a tough sell IMO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back