News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: dogs on the course
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »
Thomas:

Good for you for mentioning Black Mesa.  Mr. Peck and crew are serious dog lovers and I have never seen so many dogs on a course in the USA ... even if half of them were Eddie's!

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
Tom - Perhaps you've seen Pete Dye walking the grounds at Crooked Stick most evenings with his dog Sixty. It's pleasing site seeing Pete trudging along the course he knows like the back of his hand with his friend alongside. He moves along at a pretty brisk pace -- and still walks (with a caddie) when he plays.

I'm fairly certain Pete puts several miles of walking every day at the Stick when he's in town. For the members it's sort of a tradition and a reminder how important Pete is to all of us.

Ron Farris

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2009, 11:38:24 PM »

This is one of my favorite pictures.  It was taken several years ago.  My son and I traveled 12 hours to get this little golden.  She comes from a long line of show dogs.  We stopped on our way home to look at a course I helped convert sand greens to grass in South Dakota.

She is actually pretty good on the course.  Playing The Golf Club at Red Rock.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 12:31:17 AM »
We have 2 Goldens, and our course has a goose problem.

Theory - Goldens will chase the geese, get exercise and keep geese away.  Perfect theory.   ;D

Reality - the dogs are more interested in eating goose shitsicles than chasing the sources of same. Less than perfect reality.   :(

Our younger male does show great enthusiasm for chasing any kind of ball, so:

Next theory - teach him the difference between Pro Vs and other balls.

Not sure of the outcome of this theory yet.   ???
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

JLahrman

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »
We have 2 Goldens, and our course has a goose problem.

Theory - Goldens will chase the geese, get exercise and keep geese away.  Perfect theory.   ;D

Reality - the dogs are more interested in eating goose shitsicles than chasing the sources of same. Less than perfect reality.   :(

Our younger male does show great enthusiasm for chasing any kind of ball, so:

Next theory - teach him the difference between Pro Vs and other balls.

Not sure of the outcome of this theory yet.   ???

You need to get a trained shepherding dog.  I know a company that has one that keeps the geese from leaving their mark in the company's parking lot.  Plus all the employees love the dog.  But not any dog will do, some just aren't interested in chasing geese.

john_stiles

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »
Have seen dogs on a leash numerous times at Lookout Mountain GC.   I have no idea what the club rule is, as I do not have a dog.

On the other hand, dogs often roam the course.  So if you had a good whistle or call,  or a dog treat, you could probably have a friend for a few holes.

At my home course,  dogs used to be allowed.   In fact, the golf pro emeritus loves dogs and always had his small poodle at the shop.  His poodle had a special friendship with another member, and would always accompany that member, and ride in his cart as he played.     The poodle would fall behind at times, and run towards the golf cart.    Jack would slow the cart down, and 'Bogey' would speed up and jump in the cart.    She had a fondness for cheese crackers and Jack always had that treat.   After finishing play, 'Bogey' returned to the shop. 

There is still a small marker labeled 'Bogey' in the small flower plot next to the golf shop, still there after about 10 years now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back