News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Re: Cabo Update- The Dunes Course
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 02:18:50 PM »
Paul,

Great looking stuff!  Amazing to be more precise.

Great Stuff!

Cliff

Greg Tallman

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
[quote author=paul cowley link=topic=38768.msg809454#msg809454
Just thought I'd bump the pictures of the Dunes course back up......as much as I love Larrys's pictures and the course at Cabo Del Sol! :)

GregT....will you send me your phone # please?....thanks man.
[/quote]

Geez, thanks... did not know you were such a fan of ours... I am warming to your place as well.  ;)

Check you messages.

BJones

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 02:35:56 PM »
My friend erik just got hired as head of golf at this place.  Can't wait to head down there!!!

B Jones

Greg Tallman

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
My friend erik just got hired as head of golf at this place.  Can't wait to head down there!!!

B Jones

Great news on this front. All indications are the project has found new funding and will move forward with a tentative fall opening being talked about. Great news for those who love good golf and for those of us here in Cabo simply in need of something positive these days.

Hopefully Eric gets down soon to meet one of our former pros who was discussing a secondary position with those that hired Erik. Tell him Brad from Minnesota is a great guy and will be a star for them.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »

Hole #2, par-3

Paul, What is the thought process behind the little mound of sand about 20 yards short and left of the green at #2... just interested to hear your take as my comment to Bill during the last tour was that it might be a better location for a little bunker??? Just an amateurish observaiotn.

Hole #11, par-3

I was surprised to see the grassing of the left of the green at #11 understand from the average player standpoint but 11 has always been among my favorites and I would have less trouble from the bunker than where a ball could end up now... a pull hook bounding off the hillside could possibly end up way down in the junk with little chance of recovery... I assume that grass would be left at rough height if not longer?

henrye

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2009, 12:02:14 PM »
Ah, but Greg, it looks perfect for a lefty fade hitting into that wind.  That is one magnificant looking hole.

PThomas

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2009, 12:05:17 PM »
Paul , a question which i dont think has been asked and forgive me if its silly:

on the 2nd hole the par 3  are you concerned about too much sand blowing on the green?

the course looks wonderful, btw
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »
Can't wait for this one to open.  Cabo is a cheap flight from Houston and I've been waiting for this one before taking a weekend trip.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
Can't wait for this one to open.  Cabo is a cheap flight from Houston and I've been waiting for this one before taking a weekend trip.

Kyle, Don't wait... you won't rates like exist currently ever again in Cabo. NOW is the time to visit. About 80 for the high today.

And it will likely require a special invitation to play Diamante though I suspect invitations will be able to be had until the market returns to some form of normalcy.... whatever and whenever that might be?!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:21:49 PM by Greg Tallman »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »
Ah, but Greg, it looks perfect for a lefty fade hitting into that wind.  That is one magnificant looking hole.

Just don't hit the double cross but if you do... pack a lunch... and dinner... and a tent... and a four wheeler while you are at it.

paul cowley

« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2009, 09:02:15 AM »
Hey folks...I just saw this.

The good news is that I have been in Cabo all week and that the project is firmly back on track for completion later this year....but alas I need to get out to the course and won't be able to give an update til later.....but its all good stuff.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »

The good news is that I have been in Cabo all week and that the project is firmly back on track for completion later this year....but alas I need to get out to the course and won't be able to give an update til later.....but its all good stuff.

Why weren't you with the boys on Tuesday evening? Then again you, like the gals at Nowhere Bar, have my number but do not call.... sigh.

FYI - Brad Klein and some of his panel are in town next week for a "summit" and unfortunately we are have 9 holes available and they have planned a tour of Quivira rather than Diamante so they won't get the true sense of Cabo's best.  Maybe Brad(Quivira) will get them over to Diamante on Tuesday afternoon as part of the tour but I'm not sure of his intentions. Nothing like touring untouched dunes versus a course that is basically done and a strong candidate for making a big splash in the golf world if not the rankings.

paul cowley

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2009, 10:18:09 PM »

Why weren't you with the boys on Tuesday evening? Then again you, like the gals at Nowhere Bar, have my number but do not call.... sigh.

FYI - Brad Klein and some of his panel are in town next week for a "summit" and unfortunately we are have 9 holes available and they have planned a tour of Quivira rather than Diamante so they won't get the true sense of Cabo's best.  Maybe Brad(Quivira) will get them over to Diamante on Tuesday afternoon as part of the tour but I'm not sure of his intentions. Nothing like touring untouched dunes versus a course that is basically done and a strong candidate for making a big splash in the golf world if not the rankings.

Hey my friend....while you were basking in the 90's on the inside for four days this week, I was doing the 60's to 70's with sand stinging winds between 20 and 30 mph and the 7 to 6 shift...with just enough time to clean up a take a taxi into no parking downtown to eat and go to bed.

The boys at the No Name are on Spanish Work Time and I'm about three hours ahead...but we will find a way to get together....especially if you can find a way to take off half a day for a Fiesta lunch engagement.

The Course is back up and going, and the sands are being tamed on all fronts. We are finally detailing the last nine or so holes.....getting rid of the inconsistant looks on 9 and 8 among others and finally getting a D8 to do the invasive surgery sometimes needed to save the patient on 14.....it will be something of beauty and move it from being one the quirkiest holes, to one of the best out there.....something we have been unable to do while waiting for the heavy eqipment almost two years. A window to the sea.....finally!

My goal is that by the time we open, one should be able to play 18 holes without losing ones ball....unless one is totally crooked.

We will see.

What new grass on left of 11?

That bump on 2 is thirty yards short and original, and needs to stay...the whole setting is a bunker....surely don't need to add a fake one.....there's more than enough happening at the green anyway.

Back the 15th if you care to come out!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:26:03 PM by paul cowley »

paul cowley

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2009, 10:33:25 PM »
.....and thanks guys for all the kind comments.....you too Cliff!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back