News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Cullum

Re: "Merion Memories" by Richard S. Francis
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »
Forgive me if this has been addressed before:

Why would the Club have sent Wilson on an all expense paid trip to Scotland to learn more about designing golf courses if they were already finished building theirs?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Rich Goodale

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »
That is a good analogy, Bradley.  I've never understood why it was felt that Wilson had to have visited North Berwick before he could design and built a "Redan."  Hell, there are all sorts of modern architects who have done the same thing and nobody calls them to task for it, nor should they.

Rich,

It's "Merion's" history and tradition that INSISTED that Wilson traveled abroad PRIOR to designing Merion.
It made sense to create that myth, intentionally or accidently, since it would inextricably link Merion to the great courses of the UK.

David Moriarty discovered that the legend was a myth

Mike Cirba and others insisted otherwise.
They fought tooth and nail to resist and refute the facts and the logic behind David's premise.
Much the same as they do with everything David presents.

The surrogate for the great courses/holes of the UK appears to be NGLA and CBM.

Francis tells us that HE alone was probably the only person who could read and make drawings, probably understand topos, run transits, etc, etc..
He appears to have been the club's/committee/s Raynor.

Pat

Your "reply" does not deal with the issue that Bradley posited and I agreed with, but I'll make a comment or two on the issues that do seem to interest you:

1.  David did uncover that Wilson almost surely did not visit the UK in 1911.  Good on him.
2.  Assuming this is true, it chnages the specifics, but not necessarily the facts of the "legend."  As Bradley noted, it was not necessary for Wilson to have visited the UK in 1911 for him to have designed (laid out) any or all of Merion.
3.  Your opinion of Mke Cirba, Dave Moriarty and others is competely irrelevant to the issues at hand, and only hurts your attempts to make a cogent argument.
4.  NGLA and CBM probably did serve as something of a surrogate for Merion and Wilson in the early days of the design process, but I very much doubt that they were "the" surrogate.  For just one example, Horace Hutchinson's book of 1897(?) would surely have been available to Wilson and the committee, and probably as good or better a lesson on the principles of great golf course architecture.
5.  Your statement regarding the Francis/Raynor analogy could be a good one.  If so, it must mean that Wilson was Merion's Macdonald, no? ;)

PS--if you choose to answer the question in my first post, feel free!
PPS--you might also try answering John Cullum's good question posted after your reply.
PPPS--if you (or John) wants my answer to that question it is that, just maybe, the design process at Merion was a protracted one, involving a number of years and several iterations of the first pass on a buildable design.  If so, it would have been perfectly logical and wise for the Committee to send him to the UK in 1912, in order to bring back fresh ideas which might be adapted to his course-in-progress.

Hope all is well with you

Rich

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 09:47:37 AM »
Rich,

Wilson did credit that meeting with CBM as teaching them more in a day than they knew in 30 years of golfing, did he not?  It sounds to me like CBM was their main advisor and role model in a number of ways.  At the same time, Wilson made the point of saying he was (my paraprhase here) adapting the concepts to their situation.  Given the results, I always felt like he had it in mind not to copy CBM directly, to use a more natural style, etc. (and yes, I know there was an Alps hole originally)

I agree that they seemed inclinced to keep perfecting the course, which is something I think CBM did at NGLA, Ross did at Pinehurst, etc.  I don't know that they were unhappy with the first iteration, but seemingly didn't mind improving it either.  It is quite possible that the first redos were a large part of cementing Wilson legend at Merion, isn't it?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rich Goodale

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
Jeff

As Hugh was just 30 years old when he possibly first met Mcdonald (1910), your first sentence might be a bit exaggerated, but if you say he said something like that, I believe you!  I don't think anybody disputes that Mcdonald had an important role in both the early planning stages of Merion, and during the construction phase too.  I fully agree with you that continual tinkering seems to have been one of the key characteristics of the great golden age (and earlier) courses, and that the "legend" of Wilson related more to how the course evolved during his tenure rather than how it began.

Rich

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »

That is a good analogy, Bradley. 

Rich,

I don't think it's a good analogy.
It's a predisposed hypothetical.

I've never understood why it was felt that Wilson had to have visited North Berwick before he could design and built a "Redan." 

Would you listen to the advice of a Sex Counselor who had NEVER had sex ?

Remember, they're circa 1909-1910, not today with instantaneous electronic communication

Hell, there are all sorts of modern architects who have done the same thing and nobody calls them to task for it, nor should they.

Who are the "all sorts" and what tools and methodologies did they have at their disposal ?
How would you compare those tools and methodologies to the ones available to Wilson ?

I hope all is well with you and your family.

PS     Done
PPS   Because there was an ONGOING "fine tuning" of the golf course.
        We've seen Pete Dye, Donald Ross, CBM and others do this for years, if not decades.
PPPS Agreed

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »
Mike,  you misunderstood my comment to Bradley Anderson.

Let me break it down for you.

1. Wilson has long been credited with designing the course based upon principles he learned while traveling abroad.   
2. This assumes he traveled abroad before the course was designed and built.   
3. But he did not travel abroad until after the course had been routed, planned, built, and the tees, greens, and fairways seeded, and at least some of the artificial features built.   
4. Therefore the initial routing, lay out plan, construction, tees, greens, fairways, and at least some of the artificial features could not have been based on what Wilson learned while traveling abroad. 

It is a simple time line.  He couldn't have based Merion on courses he had not yet seen, on a trip he had not yet taken.  Simple as that.

As for whether or not his trip mattered.  All the other accounts of Merion sure think it mattered, otherwise why do they say he based on the holes on courses overseas?

As for your earlier post, you claim that "we can add to our list of facts from Francis that Hugh Wilson, and not anyone else was responsible for today's 3rd hole being an attempt at a redan."   

But Francis is talking about how Merion benefited from Wilson's trip abroad.  The trip did not occur until AFTER THE HOLE WAS DESIGNED AND BUILT.   "One hole which benefited was the third.  It was copied from the Redan at North Berwick."

So whatever it was that Wilson learned at North Berwick, it could not have been incorporated into the hole UNTIL AFTER WILSON'S TRIP.  This was long after the hole was planned, laid out, built, and seeded.   

So Francis' statement does NOT establish that Wilson and no one else was responsible for today's 3rd . . . "   

David,

Thank you for that timeline.   I believe that it highlights where we differ, as I’ll explain shortly, but I also want to thank you for what I feel your essay has added and altered to my (and others) overall understanding of the history of Merion and I believe that has been very valuable.

I think Bradley Anderson touched well on a related point, but I’d like to go a bit further down that road.

“I advised him, preparatory to his trip to Scotland, to watch carefully the seventeenth, or Alps hole, at Prestwick,  which he really imagined existed on his new course.  He is now convinced that it will take a lot of making to equal that famous old spot”. – Alex Findlay, talking about Hugh Wilson in May 1912 after Wilson’s return from overseas

What do you think Findlay means when he says that it will take a lot of making in this context?   As you pointed out, the golf course and the holes have already been routed, the holes on the ground, the greens and tees shaped and seeded, and now growing in.   That all happened over the previous year and now the course is months from opening so why would some hole concept still “take a lot of making”, or require much more work to be anything resembling the original?   

Let’s examine your timeline again;

1. Wilson has long been credited with designing the course based upon principles he learned while traveling abroad.   
2. This assumes he traveled abroad before the course was designed and built.   
3. But he did not travel abroad until after the course had been routed, planned, built, and the tees, greens, and fairways seeded, and at least some of the artificial features built.   
4. Therefore the initial routing, lay out plan, construction, tees, greens, fairways, and at least some of the artificial features could not have been based on what Wilson learned while traveling abroad. 

You may be very surprised to learn that I agree with almost everything you’ve written with the exception perhaps that the first point is an overly broad generalization and oversimplification but the second point is where I’d like to get more specific because I’m not sure it’s a valid assumption.

It’s also why I’ve been asking you for any other specific examples of holes on the original Merion course that you believe were directly influenced by great holes overseas.   I want to be sure I address this comprehensively, but I guess we have enough generally agreed examples to work with using holes 3 (redan), 10 (Alps), and 15 green (Eden Green). 

After all, we have outside, contemporaneous support for all of those holes/features being template-based, so we can comfortably work within that construct. 

Let’s start with the redan hole, the third.   

Richard Francis tells us directly that this is one of the holes that “benefitted” from Hugh Wilson’s overseas visit and that “the location of the hole lent itself to this design”.

You’ll notice he doesn’t say that they found that location while looking for a redan hole.   He states that they located the hole first, and only then, working within the possibilities and constraints of their natural conditions, determined that applying some redan principles to that location might work well.

This is wholly consistent with what Francis tells us about the purpose of Wilson’s trip abroad.  Francis also tells us clearly that the idea all along was to “incorporate their good features on our course” AFTER Wilson returned in May of 1911.

How could this be?   Weren’t the holes already “designed” before Wilson went abroad, as you rightfully ask?

The simple answer is, no, they weren’t designed.    Eighteen tees and greens were fitted into the property in a routing, again using the natural features and conditions at their disposal on the property that had been selected as their canvas.

None of these tasks required Wilson to go abroad to study first because all they were using at this point was their own carefully studied knowledge of the property, their understanding of good golf holes in the U.S. through their own individual experiences playing golf at a high level nationally for over a decade, as well as what knowledge Macdonald had imparted regarding agronomics and construction techniques, as well has his knowledge of the great holes abroad that he communicated during their visit with him at NGLA.

All of the early accounts mentioned that what was built at first was incomplete, that there were very few bunkers and pits, and that “mental hazards” and additional strategies would be added later.   THAT was the purpose of Wilson’s trip abroad…to see in person the type of great hole strategies they had discussed with Macdonald and now wished to apply to their evolving golf course.

Some months ago, and again as Adam Messix questioned yesterday, we had a great debate here re: whether the 3rd hole was indeed a redan, because it does not have the characteristic green sloping front to back, and tilted severely to the low side.  In fact, the 3rd green at Merion slopes back to front, the opposite of what you would expect.

If you think about the definition of the great holes abroad, almost every one of them are self-defined by a few key attributes, and in almost every case it’s not due to some natural feature that needs to be present, but due instead to the placement of artificial hazards which determine strategy.   THAT is what makes them somewhat repeatable.   Almost every template hole is self-defined by its bunkering pattern which defines the hole strategy…the road hole, the redan, the eden, the short, the alps…

I would contend that when the Merion course was first routed, shaped, and seeded, the 3rd hole was simply a tee in a valley, and a green located on a plateau hilltop, much like probably hundreds of uphill par threes in existence, although that barn-top abrupt rise does make it admittedly a bit special.

If nothing else was done to the hole after that it would still be a very good hole…it could even be bunkerless and would be a very good hole.

Yet, to apply some of what they saw as “redan principles”, the Wilson committee decided to build the key “redan bunker” into the face of the hill diagonally to one side (which Francis tells us was the basement of the barn), and also put some “high side” bunkering in on the left to catch the golfer playing a bit too cautiously away from the visually obvious front-right hazard.   

I would contend that those bunkers, and thus the entire hole strategy as a “redan” were added AFTER Wilson’s return from abroad.   The green design doesn’t exactly fit the redan concept because as you mentioned, that was already done and in place.   But we already know they weren’t looking for exact copies…they were simply looking to implement specific features and principles of great holes abroad and apply them to their natural inland conditions.

So it goes with the other examples.   Robert Lesley tells us the “principle” of the Alps Hole they wanted to copy was the large crossing bunker in front of the green, and possibly the large mound behind.    Well, we already know that when Wilson returned from his trip abroad and spoke with Findlay, he admitted that to create anything like the original Alps, “it would take a lot of making.”

But what about the “Eden Green” on the 15th, I’m sure you’re thinking.    Didn’t that require previous intent?   After all, it was built with a large back to front slope and we know that it was roundly criticized as too severe, as was the 8th, which Francis tells us “originally…took the contour of the hillside so that players had to play onto a green which sloped sharply away from them.”   The 8th green was rebuilt before 1916.

In the case of the 15th, we know that Tillinghast claimed it sloped so much from back to front that players had to “skittle” their approach shots up to the front.

But, was it an Eden green because of the back to front slope, which on the uphill 15th also probably originally took much of “the contour of the hillside”, or was it the typical Eden bunkering pattern, where a large front right bunker cut into the face of the upslope is only matched in challenge and difficulty by the “Hill bunker” to the left, where those playing away from the more obvious frontal attack often end up?  By that time, there were thousands of back to front sloping greens, probably many of them too severely constructed, as well.

Once again, I’d contend that the bunkering created the "Eden" strategy of that approach, and defined the principles they wanted to copy from overseas on the 15th.

You mentioned the other day that you thought the 6th hole had some characteristics of a Road Hole, and I agreed with you.   What made it a road hole?

Well, we know it had a property boundary on the right but that was simply happenstance of the routing.   However, Merion CHOSE to utilize that boundary and you told us that they created a tee area that required a carry over the corner, built some large mounding in that corner, and then build a large hazard left of the green to challenge those playing too cautiously away from the boundary on the drive.

Once again, these are/were all artificial touches that created the hole strategies, and that were added AFTER the course was routed, based on what Wilson learned abroad, and based on how the Merion committee determined to apply them to the natural conditions at their disposal.

So, to draw an alternate timeline, and hopefully conclude my participation for the time being (I’ve honestly said everything I can say unless more facts surface), this is what it looks like to me;

Jan – early march 1911 – Wilson and Committee create many golf course layouts, none of which they are satisfied with.

March 1911 – Visit Macdonald at NGLA and gain some great insight.

March – April 6th – Wilson and Committee take what they’ve learned and created “five different” course layouts.   Macdonald makes his second visit to the property and after reviewing the land and the proposed layouts carefully, selects the best one.

April 19th – The Merion Board gives approval to the selected and recommended plan and construction proceeds forthwith.

Late April – Fall 1911 – Construction of 18 tees and greens consistent with the routing that attempts to take best advantage of the natural features of the property takes place and by fall the property is seeded.

Winter 1911-12 – Wilson tells us that the committee worked all winter, although it’s unclear what they were doing at this point.

March 1912-May 1912 – Wilson goes abroad to study.

May 1912 – Sept 1912 – Wilson puts the first “overseas touches” on the golf course, almost certainly in the form of bunkers and mounding influence play and creating internal, artificial hole strategies that he emulates based on great holes he has now both seen and discussed with Macdonald through sketches and Mac’s NGLA versions, as well as the originals he’s seen with his own eyes.

Sept 1912 – Sept 1916 – This work continues up to and including the first US Amateur at Merion.

1922-24 – Much more work is done by Wilson and committee with William Flynn to solve the problems of the increasingly busy Ardmore Avenue and continues to refine the hole strategies.   This work replaces original holes 10, 11, 12, 13, and replaces them with today’s versions.

February 1925 – Sadly, Hugh Wilson dies at age 45.

Postnote – I also intend to add this post to the “Timeline” thread I started, and then I’m going to sit back and watch the discussion on the acreage.

Thanks again, David.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 10:30:49 AM by MCirba »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »
Pat

It is analagous to that other hyopthetical which says that somebody other than Wilson was responsible for the design of the 3rd hole at Merion in that both are built on pure speculation.

BTW, did Raynor ever visit North Berwick?  If so, when?

Rich

henrye

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
Rich & Jeff:
I think most "non-stakeholders" in these Merion threads likely agree with your synopsis and have for some time.  We know MacDonald was involved more during the conceptual stages of the design and Wilson seems to have left his mark more on the development and finishing touches.  I'm not saying that Wilson wasn't very involved up front, it's just that from the info that has been shared, it would appear he became more of the catalyst as the process went on.
There are, however, some items which I think would be of interest in understanding a bit more just how involved MacDonald was and whether or not he deserves any further recognition beyond what he has been given.  A few pages back, Tom Paul mentioned that they (he, Wayne & historian) were collecting more information from MCC on the move to Admore.  I'm hoping that somewhere in the early documentation there might be some reference to MacDonald and his role.  We know that Merion called him up and asked him to advise, but what precipitated that call.  If a club is going to move or develop a new golf course, I would hope that there might be some documentation surrounding how they would undertake such a process.  As Tom Paul points out, these protagonists were successful businessmen who were passionate about golf.  They surely had a plan and it would seem unlikely (but not impossible) that they would surrender so much responsibility to a young Hugh Wilson.  It would appear more likely that he earned his accolades as the process developed and had proven his capabilities.
Another question (and this may have been answered) is that we were told somewhere that MacDonald approved the layout that the committee/board approved.  Either everyone simply liked the plan MacDonald approved, or someone had put him in charge of choosing.  Again, I would hope that there might be some documentation surrounding  better clarifying his relationship and his authority to approve.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:15:55 AM by HenryE »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »
In 1913 "Far & Sure" wrote that it was too early to foretell Merion's greatness, because many holes where still in a rough stage. That would indicate that this was a long process.

So I don't think it is fair to say that the golf course was anything approaching it's completed stage before Wilson's trip abroad in 1912.

In that same article "Far & Sure" reports that Hugh Wilson went to Europe in the summer of 1912. So I don't think anyone was foisting some kind of myth on the golf public about what was happening at Merion.

Now in David's defense, it can be said that attributing the shaping of the route to Wilson's trip abroad was not accurate. But do we have intinsic copy of anyone back then making that claim?

In either case, there might have been planning associated with the route that was setting the stage for incorporating concepts from Europe. And why wouldn't there be? Certainly every club of merit was conscious of those concepts from abroad because they were talked about and written about, and told about by people who had experienced those concepts first hand.

These men played in tournaments together and they all were part of a society that we just don't experience these days. To get to a tournament you traveled by train, and you had so much more liesure to discuss things like the Redan hole in North Berwick. It would be incredible for these men not to have some knowledge of these principles before they began routing Merion; they would have had to be totally isolated from the rest of what was American golf culture at this time.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:07:37 AM by Bradley Anderson »

BCrosby

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:49 AM »
Thanks Rich for interjecting a bit of common sense. I've got your back.

- Redan and Alps holes were widely recognized as among the greatest links holes as early as 1897 (Hutchinson). No one needed to travel to N. Berwick or talk to CBM to figure out what a Redan was or why it was a good hole.

- Of course CBM influenced Wilson. How could he not have? David's essay is valuable because it suggests that the needle on the CBM influence meter ought to be moved from 2 to 3, or something.

But unless you want to ascribe design credit to CBM (a much more intersting claim, but one much harder to prove and one that has not been proven thus far), I don't get all the sound and fury.

And if I might state the obvious about Francis' final summation of the early events at Merion. He makes no mention of the man some think routed the course. Call me naive, but the fact that the dog didn't bark suggests CBM had a more minor role.

Bob

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 11:17:59 AM »
Now in David's defense, it can be said that attributing the shaping of the route to Wilson's trip abroad was not accurate. But do we have intinsic copy of anyone back then making that claim?

In either case, there might have been planning associated with the route that was setting the stage for incorporating concepts from Europe. And why wouldn't there be? Certainly every club of merit was conscious of those concepts from abroad because they were talked about and written about, and told about by people who had experienced those concepts first hand.

Bradley,

See if you think I address this supposed quandary in my post above.   

I don't think the group was looking at anything more than maximizing the natural attributes of the property and really just trying to fit 18 good length, naturally-sound holes onto the property while doing the original routing.   I don't think they were out on the property thinking, "now where can we find a road hole, or an eden green?" as a priimary consideration, although in some cases natural features may have suggested some larger potential.

But by and large, the purposeful addition of "artificial hazards", "mental hazards", and principles and general strategies of famous template holes abroad, largely defined by the particular placement of artificial bunkering into natural landforms came later, after Wilson's trip abroad.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:28:35 AM by MCirba »

henrye

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »
Bradley,

See if you think I address this quandary in my post above.   

I don't think the group was looking at anything more than maximizing the natural attributes of the property while doing the original routing.   I don't think they were out on the property thinking, "now where can we find a road hole, or an eden green?"  ;)

The purposeful additiona of "artificial hazards", "mental hazards", and strategies defined by the placement of artificial hazards which largely defined the famous template holes came later, after Wilson's trip abroad.

Are you suggesting that MacDonald was only involved in the routing and approving a layout based on the natural attributes of the property?  I think there has been too much documentation uncovered that suggests otherwise.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »
I would also add that major set-backs in completing projects of this scope, in those days, were very common. Crump could not grow grass at Pine Valley. In fact he died before that problem was solved.

Really I think everyone went in to these kinds of projects with a much greater sense of patience than we can imagine now. That's one of the biggest reasons why those projects turned out so amazing. So we need to keep that in mind with these timelines. These people were not afraid to build something and take it apart afterwards.

I have heard that Jack still does that now, but he's Jack, and he can do whatever he wants. ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:32:03 AM by Bradley Anderson »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »

Are you suggesting that MacDonald was only involved in the routing and approving a layout based on the natural attributes of the property?  I think there has been too much documentation uncovered that suggests otherwise.

HenryE,

That is almost what I'm saying, except there is no proof he was "involved in the routing".   We know he approved of at least one of the Committee's five routing layout designs.   We know much of what the committee learned from Macdonald was in the areas of agronomy and construction, and we also know he discussed the princples of the great holes abroad and Wilson and crew discussed "how to apply them to our natural conditions".

But, as I stated, the addition of template holes requires no particular natural landforms or even routing considerations.   THAT is why their strategies are repeatable from South Carolina to the mountains of Tennesee to the coast of Hawaii.

Almost every template hole has a strategy based on artificial bunkering schemes laid into natural landforms.

What evidence is there that Macdonald designed any holes at Merion, template or otherwise?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:38:35 AM by MCirba »

henrye

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »
Mike:  You're right.  I need to be careful on these threads and stick to only facts.  There is no evidence that MacDonald designed any holes at Merion.  All we know is that he approved the layout.  We know he taught the committee(s) about agronomy and construction and we know he taught the committee(s) about template holes and "how to apply them to our natural conditions".  Whether he did anything more is unknown at this point.  I have have not used the term "committee(s)" to be confrontational, rather I have just had a hard time following what committee did what and who exactly MacDonald corresponded with.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »
Henry,

I'm trying very hard to be very precise, as well.  Thanks for your question and related thoughts.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »
I do have to say after reading through this thread that I'm heartened by the great display of historical insight and wise perspectives offered in some of the posts here, which seem to come from a very objective, nuanced, and unbiased viewpoint.

Perhaps I should just shut up and not ruin that.  ;D

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »

Bradley,

See if you think I address this supposed quandary in my post above.   

I don't think the group was looking at anything more than maximizing the natural attributes of the property and really just trying to fit 18 good length, naturally-sound holes onto the property while doing the original routing.   I don't think they were out on the property thinking, "now where can we find a road hole, or an eden green?" as a priimary consideration, although in some cases natural features may have suggested some larger potential.

But by and large, the purposeful addition of "artificial hazards", "mental hazards", and principles and general strategies of famous template holes abroad, largely defined by the particular placement of artificial bunkering into natural landforms came later, after Wilson's trip abroad.

Mike,

I agree. But I would be surprised if they were not aware of concepts and principles of design when they were narrowing down their best route of choice.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »
Bradley,

i would agree, as well.   We know that their visit to NGLA a month earlier had some significant impact on their thinking because they came back and created "five different layouts".

DMoriarty

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 03:07:21 PM »

Mike,  I think this is the crux of your argument, but I don't think that either this or the longer post above is supported by the facts or by common sense.

First the facts.

1.   In April 1912 it was reported that "Many of the holes at Merion are patterned after the famous holes abroad . . .. "  This was BEFORE Wilson had returned from his trip.   So many of the holes were patterned after famous holes abroad BEFORE his trip.

2.   According to Findlay, Wilson thought he already had built an Alps Hole, BEFORE his trip.  So the hole was based on an Alps hole before.

3.   Some of the natural features were already built before his trip, including some of the bunkers and the giant berm at the back of the Alps green was built BEFORE his trip. 

4.   Far and Sure (and you shouldn't call him Tillie because that is disputed) noted that the 15th GREEN was a poor attempt at copying the Eden Green.   The 15th Green was built BEFORE his trip.  (Your supposition that he was talking about bunkers conflicts with the description.)

5.  You cite commentary that the course was not yet finished, but by the time most of this commentary was written, the Redan was already a being called a Redan, and the Alps was already an Alps, and the 15th green was already being called a poor attempt at an Eden. Findlay's first column was earlier, but he confirms that the Alps was supposed to be an Alps BEFORE THE TRIP, and that is the only hole he specifically mentions. 

All these facts indicate that these holes were meant to be modeled after holes abroad from the beginning, BEFORE WILSON TRAVELED ABROAD.

These facts alone refute your theory, but your theory also defies common sense.   You speculate that Wilson just happened to design and build a 180 hole slightly uphill to a green sitting at an angle on top of a plateau and sloping left to right with a giant hole the size of the basement of a barn guarding the front/right?    And then he happened to notice that it had redan characteristics when he was in North Berwick?  Even though you and a bunch of others claim it doesnt even have redan characteristics? 

And this despite that M&W had inspected the property, had who knows how many communications with the each committee, spent two days with the construction committee teaching them how to apply the principles of the great golf holes to Merion's natural conditions and showing them the holes, and returned to Merion to inspect the property again, and chose the final routing?   Take another look at M&W's 1914 article on the Redan, in which he mentions Merion's redan, and then tell me you don't think he would have envisioned a redan when he saw that plateau and the pre-made bunker.

Given the facts and given common sense, I think it is beyond reasonable belief to assume that the Redan or the other holes were not conceptually intended in advance of Wilson's trip.   Whether by Wilson, M&W, of some combination, they were meant to be modeled on concepts from the great holes abroad.

Also Mike, despite Henry's politeness, at this point is too much for you to still claim that "except there is no proof he was 'involved in the routing.'" 

M&W inspected the property twice, spent two days teaching Wilson's Committee how to apply the underlying principles of the great golf holes to Merion's natural conditions, added the section behind the clubhouse to the routing,  and chose the final routing!   

How much more proof do you need before you at least acknowledge that they were involved in the routing?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich, Bradley, and Bob,

Your theories are different than Mike's, and actually cut against it.  If I understand you correctly, you all think Wilson was trying to incorporate the underlying principles of the holes abroad into Merion even before he had seen the holes abroad. 

I agree.   

But my question is, who originally came up with the hole concepts and their placement?   

With the exception of the Francis Land Swap (and that is a big exception) I think the facts point to M&W as the creative forces most responsible for this, one way or another.   Either they did it themselves in rough form and helped the committee work out the details, or they instructed and guided Wilson and his committee throughout the entire process, or somewhere in between.     But this is a distinction without much of a difference, don't you think?

Rich, you ask about Raynor.  I have no idea whether he went abroad, but I always assumed that CBM taught him about these concepts, and that on the courses where CBM was involved, he instructed and guided Raynor how to apply them on the the ground.  I think Merion was very similar, at least initially.   M&W knew the land, guided Merion every step of the way, came down at the end to reinspect the land and make sure they had it right, and chose the final routing, then left them to build their course. 

If we are to believe H.J. Whigham, on many of his courses Macdonald would stay at NGLA and have Raynor do all his field work, then review and make changes off of Raynor's plans.  Ironically, CBM might have had as much or more direct contact with Merion East as he did with some of the courses for which he is credited!
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
David,

I will respond in more detail to your specific points later, but for now I think you're somewhat misinterpreting what I'm saying.

They very well may have had intent to copy features of great holes all along, but that's not what they set about to do in routing eighteen holes on the natural property as their first step.

Adding those imported features was to come later, after they got in 18 holes of appreciable length and solid potential, and more importantly got the grass growing.

For instance, you interpret Findlay as saying that Wilson had an Alps hole before he went overseas.

He didn't.

Findlay said he "imagined" an Alps type hole on that spot, probably because of the uphil nature of the approach and probably also because of the large protection mound built behind the green, but he still had a "lot of making" to do to get it there, which included creating and adding the front bunkering, mounds, etc.

i·mag·ine   (ĭ-măj'ĭn)

1) To form a mental picture or image of.  To employ the imagination.

Since we're fiinally getting into this much needed and valuable discussion, are there any other holes or features you believe are clearly taken from models of great holes overseas?   I'd like to address this issue comprehensively, if possible.

Thanks

p.s  Both Tillinghast and "Far and Sure" had virtually identical critical comments about the 15th green.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:43:28 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
Mike, the course was reported to have been modeled after the great holes abroad, BEFORE WILSON EVEN RETURNED FROM HIS TRIP.    It makes no difference if he was intending to put the finishing touches on later, the holes had already been planned and built based on the great holes abroad. 

For instance, you interpret Findlay as saying that Wilson had an Alps hole before he went overseas.

He didn't.

Findlay said he "imagined" an Alps type hole on that spot, probably because of the uphil nature of the approach and probably also because of the large protection mound built behind the green, but he still had a "lot of making" to do to get it there, which included creating and adding the front bunkering, mounds, etc.

Mike, I am trying to be patient and polite, but some of interpretations of this stuff border on the disingenuous.  We talked about that quote for 19 pages, yet you claim that it wasn't originally built as an Alps??   You think it just suddenly occurred to Wilson after he had built but before he traveled that it that it had Alps-like characteristics??

Please try to be a bit more intellectually honest about this stuff and stop wasting our time.   Thanks.

Findlay did not write that Wilson "'imagined' an alps-type hole on that spot."   Findlay wrote (my bolds):

"I advised him, preparatory to his trip to Scotland, to watch carefully the seventeenth, or Alps hole, at Prestwick, which he really imagined existed on his new course.  He is now convinced that it will take a lot of making to equal that famous old spot. which he really imagined existed on his new course.  He is now convinced that it will take a lot of making to equal that famous old spot."[/u]

He mistakenly thought ("really imagined") that he had already built an Alps hole. But after seeing the real thing, he now realized it needed a lot of work.   

And we went through in great detail Wayne's contention that the mound was "a protection mound" and all the evidence cut directly against this contention, including the information Wayne sent you during the discussion.   It was part of the Alps green complex, and it was always thought of as part of the green complex.  Even the 1911 photo describes it as at the back of the 10th green!

Since we're finally getting into this much needed and valuable discussion, are there any other holes or features you believe are clearly taken from models of great holes overseas?   I'd like to address this issue comprehensively, if possible.

Sorry, this is not the time or the place, for reasons already stated. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2009, 04:05:42 PM »
Mike, the course was reported to have been modeled after the great holes abroad, BEFORE WILSON EVEN RETURNED FROM HIS TRIP.    It makes no difference if he was intending to put the finishing touches on later, the holes had already been planned and built based on the great holes abroad. 

David,

Could you tell us the source of that article?

Thanks.

And David...I sorry you don't think I'm being sincere, but the hole that was grown in was simply an uphill par four.

The addition of mounds, fronting bunker, and side panels made it an Alps, and that happened AFTER Wilson's return, based on what Findlay said.

The large mound was 250 yards from the first tee, which doglegged left around it.

How can you say it's not protective of the 10th green?  Just because you dispute it doesn't make it factual.

And I'm sorry you won't tell me any other of Macdonald type holes on the original Merion course if all of them were meant to be modelled after the great holes abroad.

So far I have the redan 3rd, the Alps 10th, the green on 15 that is an Eden green (not the hole), and although no one ever claimed it before you, for discussion purposes let's throw in the 6th as a possible Road hole.

That ain't a whole lot to go on but I'm willing to hear and discuss others.   

I thnk I've shown reasonability by agreeing that the 6th has some Road Hole characteristics, even though no one else in the past 100 years ever cited it as such.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:11:49 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
Anyone wonders why these threads go on for 30 pages here is why right here.   

Mike you seem to have this habit of changing the subject when the argument doesn't go your way, but then at a later date you just start up again from square one.  We covered the Findlay article, the Alps, and the mound to death, and the facts do not  support what you are saying about the Alps hole and its mound.  In fact Robert Lesley noted that this mound was the Alps.

Yet you absurdly claim that this CBM style mound that was present on all his alps greens wasn't really meant to be part of an Alps hole,  it just happened to be at the back of a long par 4 and Wilson thought,  "hmmmm . . . look what I accidently did, this has the making of an alps hole!"

Get real Mike.  I don't have time for this nonsense.   Talk about the Francis Article, or go way.   

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
David,

I agree that  discussion between us is pointless but that's the way it is with anyone and everyone who has disagreed with your theory for years now.

I'll look forward to seeing if the measurements shed any light.

Adios.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back