News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

Rolling Greens
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:42:40 PM »
The Golf Channel showing the staff at Bethpage rolling the greens brought up a few questions which I'm sure some on this site know the answer to:

1) Does using "Speed Roller" type rolling machines to roll greens have an effect on green contours in the long run?  I would think that continuously rolling what appear be 400-500 lb machines over subtle bumps and hollows in greens would eventually have a flattening effect...

2) Can you even use these machines on severely sloping greens?

Thanks
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Shannon Wheeler

Re: Rolling Greens
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:02:22 PM »
Based on experience, a "speed roller" has minimal negative effect on a putting green surface.  Cannot recall the exact article but Chris Hartwiger, SE Agronomist with the USGA, came to the conclusion there minimal compaction caused by regular rolling. The only negative effect I have ever seen from rolling a green is on the edges where there is not adequate room to change direction (i.e. bulkheads, bunkers, etc.), some wear can show over time.  As for flattening or changing the contours over time, I would expect there would be more change to contours by light and frequent sand topdressing.  Finally these machines as I have experienced can be used on severely sloping greens given an experienced operator.

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »
I agree with Shannon, based on what I have seen, the effect of the weight would be minimal, supposing you don't do it twice daily the whole year. It would cause no more compaction than either a riding or walking greens mower, and likely less since the weight is spread over a 3+ foot wide roller rather than 3 'narrow' tires or even individual feet from a walking operator.

Also, as said, the contours will be much more affected by aerification and topdressing than rolling.

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the info guys
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back