News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Csigo

Re: The Most Intimidating First Tee Shot in Golf
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
Don't forget Bethpage Black.  There is the infamous sign, the ever present gallery and its a 430 yard par 4 that requires a well placed and long tee shot to get around the turn so you can have a shot a the green.  May not be the MOST intimidating, but there are certainly some things racing through your brain on that one.

Steve

I agree with you Steve.  Bethpage Black probably has the busiest and most crowded first tee I've seen.  Not to mention, the most vocal and wittiest.  If you hit a bad tee shot, get ready to be ridiculed.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

David Stamm

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »
40-50 people moving about near the first tee at PB after shelling out $400 will get the butterflies going. CPC is no easy task either, but more for the "moment factor" than difficulty.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Greg Tallman

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 01:50:17 PM »
Kalen-Is that really taken from the tee or did you climb up in a tree to get that one? Thats a huge drop, wow.

As far as what I've played, I may put the 1st tee shot at Tot Hill Farm above that from Tobacco Road. At least at TR you can see something green to aim at. The first time I played there, I aimed down that shoot between the two mounds and figured if I hit a draw I'd be fine. When I stepped on the first tee at THF, I honestly had no idea where to hit the ball.

Thats the view from the tee. Its madness. Oh, and just so you don't think I'm being silly, that 'fairway' you can see in the distance there is about 350 yards away from the tee and the woods in the distance are about 450 yards. Unless your Jason Zuback or Jamie Sadlowsky, that fairway there is not in play.

Few teeshots are truly that difficult. But coupled with first tee nerves and in many cases playing a high-level club for the first time, it draws you up a bit. I know I felt some serious nerves the first time I played Forest Creek; I damn near topped my teeshot off the first, and its a very easy teeshot, exclusive of the fact you're at a somewhat big time private club, guest of a member you only somewhat know and that its the first shot of the day.

That pic looks very similar to #1 at Olde Mill GC at Groundhog Mountain in Farmville, VA... just add a lake on the left side. 

Nick Church

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 05:21:33 PM »
I can vouch for Tobacco Road, too.  Splitting the mountains is intimidating.

Pebble Beach, also... especially after the starter interviews you on the tee in front of strangers.  "Sir, are you sure you're qualified to play from the tips?" (or something to that effect)  Yes, now would be a bad time to hook into that two-comma house.

The pictures above remind me of the opening tee shot to one of the courses at the Capitol Hill - RTJ Trail course in Montomgery.  All downhill, with a bunker and water on the right.  Pretty darn intimidating.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:31:26 PM by Nick Church »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »
"Pebble Beach, also... especially after the starter interviews you on the tee in front of strangers.  "Sir, are you sure you're qualified to play from the tips?" (or something to that effect)  Yes, now would be a bad time to hook into that two-comma house."

YES YES YES!

I have told my stories about that too many times on here.. heck I typically have little tee ego, but I have wanted to play the back tees there.. so one time I venture back there and get this from the starter:

"sir, those tees are reserved for 5 handicap and under."

Me:  "and you assume that I am not?"

Yes, woofing one into the trees or houses would not have been good after that.

;D

JSPayne

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 07:09:19 PM »
I definitely have to agree with Pebble for the combo factor of viewing gallery, for most a once-in-a-lifetime tee shot, and the imposing houses lining both sides. Luckily, I striped it.

However, I'll try to be unique and say that the first at Poppy Hills has always gotten in my head. Not as crowded as some courses, but still usually has some gawkers, and of course the dining room looms above with tinted windows so you don't have to turn around and actually see people laughing at your shank into the woods while eating their breakfasts.

PLUS.....I've played it a few times first off in the summer, in almost no-visability fog, typical for the area. Lined by trees on both sides, left-to-right sloping fairway with hardly a flat lie to shoot for........I think I may have hit one decent tee shot there in over a dozen rounds.

[/URL]

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
This pic is from a small resort in WV called Alpine Lake.  They have changed this to #10, but it used to be #1.  Par 3... 220 yards straight downhill to a tiny peninsula green surrounded by water.  It was terrifying.

Sean Leary

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 09:12:14 PM »
Pacific Dunes from the back tee in a 3 club wind.

JR Potts

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »
I seem to always start on the back 9 at Butler during events.  That 10th hole is by far the hardest par 4 I've ever played.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »
Bethpage Black as the first group off on a busy morning. You're gonna hear about it if you don't hit a good one.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:44 AM »
I seem to always start on the back 9 at Butler during events.  That 10th hole is by far the hardest par 4 I've ever played.

When I used to caddy at Butler, i would maybe see a par per week on that hole.  If guys were playing the back tee....bogey was a decent score.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »
JSP - I am right with you re Poppy Hills.. especially from back tees... death right, death left, yeah, no problem.

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back