News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Brora (pictures)
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:30:46 PM »
Brora remains the most soulful golf course I have played - as in just being there enriches the soul - almost regardless of how one is playing. So no apologies for posting pictures again from a recent trip - in fairly random order. They seek to convey what it is like to be at Brora, rather than seeking to tease out the particular challenges it presents. I am going to guess the holes - I am sure I will be corrected where necessary. The greens and fairways (yes, i know some don't like the mowing patterns!) remain as good as ever and they have done a lot of work to improve the tees which are now in excellent shape. In a few places they have also built some extra medal tees to add challenge. There are even now some practice nets to warm up in - the only shame is that they spoil the view from the 18th tee.

The approach to 8, the only par 5 at Brora.

The beatiful short 9th, completing the outward journey.

The short 12th - the Snake hole - only about 100 yards, but so short as to encourage all sorts of diabolical shots!

The 15th or Sahara hole....Brora at its most rustic and charming.

A view of the first green from above the 18th with threatening skies in the distance.

The 18th green with the treacherous false front down to the pit where 50% of golfers play their second from.

A good quality local golfer tees off the first....

The approach to the difficult third....

The sheep leaving thei mark!

The short par 4 fourth - just about driveable for long hitters.

The glorious short 6th bathed in late afternoon sunshine

The 7th or 2nd Burn hole - long hitters can carry the burn if feeling brave.....

The snake hole -this time drenched in low sun.

The difficult 17th, with the 1st green in the distance....

What a life! An afternoon walker, with the second green behind...

Late afternoon view of the first green....

David_Tepper

Re: Brora (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:50:49 PM »
Philip -

Thanks for the excellent pics. I played Brora just this afternoon. Brora is having its annual Golf Week this week and the course was very busy. As sunny as it was on the day you took those pics 2+ weeks ago, it was that cloudy and foggy today.

Parred #17 for the first time! (but I still need to par Foxy ;))

DT   

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »
Brora is indeed a magical place.  I took this one of a sunrise almost six years ago.....where does the time go?

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 06:54:02 PM »
Philip,

Thanks for the beautiful pics.  They all say "links golf" loud and clear.  I love the prominence of the sea!

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »
Not such a wonderful photo, but my favorite "protobunker" from Brora:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:27:48 AM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »
 A par on 17 at Brora is certainly to be treasured - maybe a bit easier than Foxy, but not a lot! We were lucky with late afternoon sunshine, but we had paid our dues earlier with a quick storm!

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:53:58 AM »
So no apologies for posting pictures again from a recent trip - in fairly random order. They seek to convey what it is like to be at Brora

You need to show some golfers crawling along on their hands and knees to keep out of the wind then, Philip. 

Good stuff. Scotland's answer to Portsea...

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:45:14 AM »
When are you coming to visit us Mark? Surely the exchange rate is your friend?

We did once get blown off the course at Brora - literally, stopped playing after 11 holes. We understood then why the member's car park was empty on a sunny Saturday at 11am!

I saw your pics of  Portsea - it looked very enticing. I did visit Portsea during my trip but missed out on playing there. I would like to remedy the omission. Tangentially - Is St Andrew's Beach now closed, or are you still able to play there?

Emil Weber

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »
Great Photos... really.

You will see a handful of these bunkers at Westward Ho! Really charming...

Mark_F

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »
Philip,

I will be there next year.  Big trip.  I have to scatter my mother's ashes over England. 

The exchange rate is certainly very enticing - it was even above 50p to the dollar last week, but there's nothing to stop me buying up currency at the moment.  If you notice a run on the pound, it's because I am gathering together the readies for a round at Queenwood... :)

Yes, Lahinch has its goats, Brora has it's car park.  I should have realised what it meant too. Especially when they lowered the green fee for me.  Anytime you get a Scot giving you a discount you know something is up.  Not that we Australians are racist.  Or backward.

St Andrews Beach is closed, but you can still play there if you hop the fence. That's probably where I am going to have a hit Friday morning. 

Seriously, the financier has been on the verge of opening it back up to the members a few times, but each time hasn't gone through with it because someone has shown a bit of interest in buying the place, and he doesn't want prospective purchasers to realise that it is a golf course that can be played.  It's called the Ellerston marketing paradigm.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:31:48 AM »
That is good news Mark - we will have to have a gathering of the faithful to honour our antipodean visitor!

It pains me to hear of SAB being closed/not played on, though maybe not as much as it pains you and Tom D. I assume eventually the money men will agree on value and it will re-open so more people can savour its pleasures, alongside a round at Portsea.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:44 PM »
A timely bump for these fantastic pics to whet the appetite for those who may be gracing the Highlands this summer.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 08:17:56 PM »
A timely bump for these fantastic pics to whet the appetite for those who may be gracing the Highlands this summer.

Thanks Philip and Scott.  May 15th can't get here soon enough!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 01:40:12 AM »
A very timely bump Scott as the anticipation rises.  Too long since I saw Brora last!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 02:14:30 AM »
Wow, Brora looks incredible!

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 11:29:49 AM »
Can't believe I missed this thread first time round, so thanks for the bump Scott! Thanks for the pictures Philip (the short Snake hole is the 13th by the way   ::) )

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:57 AM »
Philip -

Thanks for the excellent pics. I played Brora just this afternoon. Brora is having its annual Golf Week this week and the course was very busy. As sunny as it was on the day you took those pics 2+ weeks ago, it was that cloudy and foggy today.

Parred #17 for the first time! (but I still need to par Foxy ;))

DT   

You've never made a 5 on Foxy?   ;)  I made a 4 there in 2008 and it felt like a birdie.  SW third from the left and made a 15'er.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
What a gorgeous links course. Love that blown out pot bunker. When crossing the pond to play Brora, what are the other courses likely to show up on a well planned itinerary?

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »
Mike Demetriou -

Brora is 15 miles north of Dornoch, which makes an excellent base for a 5-7 day golfing holiday. In addition to Royal Dornoch and the Dornoch Struie course, the courses at Brora, Goslpie & Tain are all within a 15-20 minute drive of Dornoch. There is now a "golf pass" available for purchase that enables one to play all 5 courses for a reduced green fee rate.

Royal Dornoch gets plenty of play, but the other 4 courses are frequently available for play on a show up basis.

Further afield from Dornoch are Fortrose & Rosemarkie (35 miles away), the excellent new Castle Stuart (50 miles) and Nairn (60 miles). There are several flights daily from London to Inverness.

Here is a link to info on the Dornoch Firth Golf Pass: http://royaldornoch.com/Dornoch%20Firth%20Golf%20Pass.pdf

DT

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:29:41 PM by David_Tepper »

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
Planning on playing May 31.  This Memorial Day may be one of my most memorable ever! 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
Is it still Memorial Day if you're not in America?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »

How far from Dornoch?

Anthony

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »
Anthony -

Per my post above, Brora is roughly 15 miles north of Dornoch, Golspie is 10 miles north of Dornoch and Tain is 10 miles south of Dornoch.

DT

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 03:07:45 PM »
It'll take you a solid half an hour to drive between the Dornoch and Brora golf clubs. But you might want to allow a bit longer in case you get (as I did one time) behind some slowpokes. It's not a road that always allows easy passing.

P.S. Lovely drive on a fair day, though. Views of the firth and the hills, a glimpse of the Mannie, etc.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »
Anthony -

Per my post above, Brora is roughly 15 miles north of Dornoch, Golspie is 10 miles north of Dornoch and Tain is 10 miles south of Dornoch.

DT

That was going to be our last course to play on a trip a few years ago, but after 5 days of golf and driving we backed out. Shameful.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back