News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: PICS ADDED of GCA day-trip to Painswick
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »
Thanks for bumping this, Robin.

It was a superb day. And as clearly and fondly as I recall it, I'd forgotten it was the day I met you all.

Agree -- ridiculous it was eight years ago. The time passes too quickly and alas I am now an ocean or two away.

I will never forget Sean's hip popping as he crested the hill on the first, my confusion of where the hole went when we got to the shot par three into the quarry and my internal alarm when I realised how fucking pissed I was on the balcony after an hour of merriment! And the three of you were going to drive home so just watching this pissed Aussie with amusement.

Has made my day to remember our day at Painswick.

Memories!

I knew there was a reason I hated the 1st!  My order of love/likes/dislikes

Love: 4, 6, 10 & 11.

Like: 3, 7, 9, 13 & 16.

Don't Mind: 5, 8, 15 & 17.

Don't Like: 2, 12, 14 & 18. 

Hate: 1

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tom_Doak

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »
As a counterpoint to the spectacle of having celebrities play US Open courses and try to break 100, they ought to televise some Open contenders playing Painswick the week before the Open.  I think it would be at least as interesting seeing how a pro handled a course like that, and see what they think of playing in some less than perfect conditions.

Not a professional, but I got to play with Peter McEvoy in the BUDA there years ago.  He had a bunch of birdies but it was not a pushover for him, and Mr Goodale was able to compete with him straight up in our better ball match.  That's the thing about a course of this length, it makes a match more competitive.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »
I'm honoured to be called "Mr. Goodale" by Young Tom Doak.  I can occasionally golf my ball properly, and rely on my partner, and Painswick was just one of those days.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »
As a counterpoint to the spectacle of having celebrities play US Open courses and try to break 100, they ought to televise some Open contenders playing Painswick the week before the Open.  I think it would be at least as interesting seeing how a pro handled a course like that, and see what they think of playing in some less than perfect conditions.
Not a professional, but I got to play with Peter McEvoy in the BUDA there years ago.  He had a bunch of birdies but it was not a pushover for him, and Mr Goodale was able to compete with him straight up in our better ball match.  That's the thing about a course of this length, it makes a match more competitive.

Don’t play against the local senior members around Painswick. You’ll get stuffed big time. 50+ stableford points regularly wins senior 4bbb opens at Painswick.
Despite the walk I quite like the 1st hole and some of the other more unheralded ones as well such as the 12th and the 14th and the tee shot on the 17th always makes me chuckle.
Great fun course to play (occasionally).
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back