News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Sandwich - silly bunkers
« on: May 24, 2009, 03:51:11 PM »
Was just casting my mind back to Sandwich last week and wondering at the 5th hole. Not my favourite hole by any stretch, in fact i would go so far as to say i think it is rather a silly hole.

Part of this is a couple of bunkers just short of the two sand hills that you have to hit through to get to the green.  the big guys fly these hills i hear, but we mortals have to play right.  there is the normal part of the fairway and the trick here is to stay left so as not to fall down the slope, but there is that little bit of flat ground left of the the fairway just short of the twin dunes.  To my mind, someone who has taken on all the crappy ground to fly this little terrace should be rewarded, but instead there are two stupid blody bunkers there that take up the whole space.  They only function they seem to serve is to completely remove a legitimate strategic option.  Were they always there, or put there to catch the big guys at some point in recent history

Jamie Barber

Re: Sandwich - silly bunkers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
I think the option of driving the sandhills is only for the REALLY big hitters. In fact, I think at the last Open more birdies were made by those laying up.

I think the play is really to the right hand side of the first part of the fairway, to open up the green. Those bunkers are to catch those greedily trying to drive the dunes!

I'm sure this hole must have changed, since the original tee for The Maiden was down there somewhere playing directly over the tallest dune.

I think RSG is a course you need to play a few times to really get a sense of the best lines (I know my two visits have not been enough)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:02:47 PM by Jamie Barber »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »
I'm hoping there will be caddies available during the Buda in September.  Is that likely?

Jamie Barber

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »
They employ a caddiemaster so I'm sure if you ring ahead they'll arrange something

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back