News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wyatt Halliday

Newport Dunes (Mustang Island, TX)
« on: January 15, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
www.newportdunesgolf.com/

Anyone have any information regarding this "Palmer Signature Course" near Corpus Christi? The search feature turned up nothing in the archive.

It has been open for a few months and is managed by Kemper. I know I'm duty bound to check it out geographically speaking (It's about 5 hours round trip for me).

Garland Bayley

Re: Newport Dunes (Mustang Island, TX)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »
A colleague at work played there over Christmas vacation. He thought it was a wonderful "links". I asked if there were any water hazards on this links. His response is that there were lots of water hazards on this links and he was not talking about the gulf. I asked how green was this links. He said it was extremely green and immaculately maintained. I looked it up on the web and found that eventually it will be surrounded by housing and buildings, yet another indicator that it may not be a "links".

He told me that they tried to auction the properties for an extremely low value and no one would meet their minimum bid. He thinks it will be a NLE links before too long.

That said, some of the holes looked cool in the routing (such as it is  :P) on the web.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
 8)  Wyatt.. want to rendevous there and check it out this weekend?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »
All I know is that the signs for this place have been up for atleast 15 years + so it's nice to see it finally happen.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
 8) so do they still have horse riding on the beach on Mustang Island?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »
8) so do they still have horse riding on the beach on Mustang Island?

They did last time I was there. I spent the longest month of my life down there every summer.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »
8)  Wyatt.. want to rendevous there and check it out this weekend?

Steve,

Great idea, but I'm spoken for this weekend.

Judging from Garland's post it looks like we may need to make it down pretty quick!!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »
Holy smokes! I stumbled across a reference to this course and was surprised they'd managed to get a course built in those dunes.  Well, maybe not so much given this is Texas.  I drove along those dunes on my way to the very special Rockport CC and thought it would make an amazing site, not realizing someone actually could get a golf course built there.

Garland, there's tons of wind there -- tons! -- and the course hole-by-hole shows some centerline hazards, so it can't be all bad.

Has anyone made it there? I would like to see it and the next time in San Antonio I might bundle a visit there with another pilgrimage to RCC.

Mark

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 09:15:14 AM »
I've played the course.
Very nicely maintained. Paspalum fwys cut tight and reasonably firm, smooth rolling tifeagle greens, stimping around 10-10.5 when I was there last month.

A cool site for golf, small choppy dunes right on the gulf. Now, each hole has larger, less choppy dunes down both sides covered in knee high gunch. Hit it straight or bring a lot of balls. One spectacular par 3 on the back, as well as a couple of very good par 4s, but hard to remember the hole numbers as I think I played the same hole two or three times. Could have been world class, the site was there. I give it a Doak 5.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »
From the photo of #12, I think it looks really cool.  Paspalum is a great playing surface (see Forrest Richardson's Links at Las Palomas for a poster child of F&F on paspalum).  How long a drive would it be from SE Houston (Clear Lake area on I-45)?

There most likely won't be a lot of houses surrounding it in the near future!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Bill,
12 thru 15 ia a very nice stretch, I thought those were the best holes. I don't think housing will be much of an issue for a while.
It's worth the trip from Houston; the course is fun, wind will be blowing, and Port A is a very fun place to spend a few days.
Probably 3-4 hours from the south side of Houston.

If you make the trip, stop by on your way through.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 12:05:36 PM »
From the photo of #12, I think it looks really cool.  Paspalum is a great playing surface (see Forrest Richardson's Links at Las Palomas for a poster child of F&F on paspalum).  How long a drive would it be from SE Houston (Clear Lake area on I-45)?

There most likely won't be a lot of houses surrounding it in the near future!

Bill,

I'm thinking about making the trip down sometime this weekend of next.  I'm guessing it is around 4 hours from my place...a little less from the southside.  I'll be sure to take the camera with me when I go.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
Bill,
12 thru 15 ia a very nice stretch, I thought those were the best holes. I don't think housing will be much of an issue for a while.
It's worth the trip from Houston; the course is fun, wind will be blowing, and Port A is a very fun place to spend a few days.
Probably 3-4 hours from the south side of Houston.

If you make the trip, stop by on your way through.

You betcha!

Is it closer to New Braunfels?  We'll be there the last week of July.  Should be nice and cool down by the Gulf then.  :o

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »
New Braunfels would be at least an hour closer...maybe more.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
Anyone worth his GCA.com salt needs to go to Rockport. Coore's very first design.

What you do is load up the CD changer with Robert Earl Keen, drive down to the Lighthouse Inn, check in, walk across the road to the Boiling Pot for dinner.

Wake up early the next day, hit RCC.  Take the ferry across the pass to Newport Dunes.

RTB and debrief.  Kyle, this is your mission.

Wind data June 2008:

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
Anyone worth his GCA.com salt needs to go to Rockport. Coore's very first design.

What you do is load up the CD changer with Robert Earl Keen, drive down to the Lighthouse Inn, check in, walk across the road to the Boiling Pot for dinner.

Wake up early the next day, hit RCC.  Take the ferry across the pass to Newport Dunes.

RTB and debrief.  Kyle, this is your mission.

Wind data June 2008:

You sir, are the man.

I might opt for Steve Earle and Guy Clarke, but Robert Earl Keen would do.

What's the scoop on Rockport?  Public?  Where is it?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back