News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re: How do you go about naming a course?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 12:16:09 AM »
Here's a post I did on this topic back in August, 2001:

How to Name Your Golf Course
By Scott Burroughs

Well, let’s see, partner.  You’re a Golf Course Management company or a recently rich novice golfer who wants to own a course like a few of your buddies.  You just finished hiring your famous Signature architect to build your Country Club For a Day.  Everything is in place except a name.  How do you choose a name for your Pet Project?

The easiest cop-out way to name your course is to put the name of the town in the title. BORING.  Anyone can do this.  And besides, it’s probably already taken.

You could always try something bizarrely different and go with a theme, like many of the last 40-50 courses built in the Myrtle Beach area, so as to distinguish themselves from the other 100+ courses.  But that takes too much imagination, and we certainly don’t want to use that.

You have to use the Formula.  It seems as if a large portion of the courses built in the last decade or so have used the Formula, and we all know how successful they are, so why not?

The Formula

1.  Wildlife.  Invariably, there was probably wildlife roaming the property freely, before you bulldozed their natural habitat.  So let’s use them, the birds and mammals, in the name.  Were there hawks and eagles there?  Did you see their fallen nests whilst razing their trees?  Have you scored an eagle in your life?  Do you use a Hawkeye driver?

Were there mammals, like foxes, deer, or maybe even bears? Have you seen a bear at the zoo?  Does your Signature architect have golden hair and six Masters titles?  Have your construction crew gotten deer ticks on them?

2.  Trees.  Are there trees lining the course?  What species of trees did you knock down to route your fairways and build your McMansions to line them?  Can you see a tree from the course?  What type of wood is used in the faux mahogany locker room?  You can also name the roads around the development after the trees.  That’s the definition of suburbs:  where you knock down all the trees and then name the streets after them.

3.  Location.  What part of the country are you in?  Is it desert?  Dunesland?  Heavily forested?  Part of the park system?  Have you ever parked your car?  If you’re in the West, seemingly every other new course has Canyon or Ranch in the name.  Was your land an old ranch?  Do you like Ranch dressing?  Are your divots the size of canyons?  Are there rock outcroppings on the course?  Do you like rock music?  Are there natural springs nearby?  Do you plan to open the course in the spring?  Was it an old plantation in the South?  Does your clubhouse have white columns?  Is it an old farm?  Have you seen one on TV?

4.  The pretentious names.
Links.  Possibly the most misused term in golf.  The origin of the term ‘links’ stems from “that (unfarmable) land which links the farm to the sea,” or something to that effect.  Today, people think if you have a few treeless holes or if at least one hole borders a body of water, even if it’s just the town reservoir, then you have a links course.

National.  The most pretentious golf course name around.  There are only two courses that deserve to have National in their name.  One is a poetry-inspiring masterpiece along the wonderful landscape of eastern Long Island.  The other hosts a little golf get-together in eastern Georgia every early April.  I suppose clubs who truly have national memberships can use it, but few clubs can say that.  George W. Dunne National?  Plum Tree National?  Aaki Ranch National?  Please excuse me, I just lost my lunch.

5.  Land Features.  Is it hilly?  Are you in the mountains?  Can you see a mountain?  Did Rees Jones litter your course with containment mountains?  Is there a lake?  Does a large puddle form when it rains?  Are you located in a valley?  Is your wife a former Valley girl?

6.  Multiple courses.  In the old days, multiple courses were simply named by the geographic location, North, East, etc. or simply by number or even color.  Now, the longer course is the Championship Course versus the shorter Executive Course.  Doesn’t this insult executives? You can’t call one course the Ocean course and the other the Links course.  Guess which one will be more popular?  Some clubs have entirely different names for each course as if each is a different club.  What’s the third course after Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes gonna be called?  America Dunes?  Not Actually on the Ocean Dunes?

7.  Type of Club.  Do you have tennis?  A pool?  Lawn bowling?  Do you like Garth Brooks?  Then you’re a Country Club.  Do you have a hotel attached?  A cot in the locker room?  Then you’re a resort.

Now you’re ready to name your course.  “I hereby cut the ribbon at our so-and-so signature course, complete with bargain-rate $175 green fees:  Cart Path Hills.”  Sorry, that’s already taken by 97% of all CCFAD’s opened in the last 20 years.  The true new name is:  Eagle Hawk Bear Fox Deer Oak Tree Wood Pines Desert Dunes Forest Park Bay Point Canyon Rock Stone Springs Ranch Links National Golf Resort & Country Club @ Valley Hills Farm Lake River Mountain Ridge Creek Plantation (Championship South Course).”

Good luck on designing your logo.

(Outside of Myrtle Beach, can you name five courses that don’t have at least one word, from the above course name in them, not counting the town/community or rule #7?)

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 07:08:25 AM »
I like clubs named after saints.  It appeals to my catholic sensibilities and makes me feel looked after while playing.  However, the place has to have a connection with a saint or at least be the patron saint of the country.  Royal St Georges seems to covered the saint business well and it has the added benefit of having the family of God's representative on earth as a partner - hard to beat!

I always liked St Enodoc.  The thought of some old hermit saint living in a cave where the church rests is nearly as good as home cooked meal.

Not quite saintly, but near enough, how bout Temple? Named after the former owners of the land, The Knights Templar. 

If you can't work a saint in, try a foreign language that sounds saintly.  Beau Desert always intrigued me.  True, it was named for the hall that used to be the centre piece of the estate, but at least the membership had the good sense to carry on with this name rather than use the previous name, Hednesford and District GC - blah. 

The one thing a club shouldn't due, is use a logo which has a saint brandishing a weapon (St Georges Hill).  Ok, St George slayed the dragon, but do we need to see the weapon?  Besides, the dragon was likely Puff.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kirk Gill

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 10:34:14 AM »
I understand the notion of connecting historically, but truly - Old Sandwich?

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Norbert P

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 11:50:39 AM »
Here's a post I did on this topic back in August, 2001:

How to Name Your Golf Course
By Scott Burroughs

. . .  The true new name is:  Eagle Hawk Bear Fox Deer Oak Tree Wood Pines Desert Dunes Forest Park Bay Point Canyon Rock Stone Springs Ranch Links National Golf Resort & Country Club @ Valley Hills Farm Lake River Mountain Ridge Creek Plantation (Championship South Course).” . . .

I choose not to play your course as it is not designated Royal. I only play Royal courses.    Like Royal Husum Hills Intergalactic TPC.

(Great old post, BTW)

I wonder if a foursome has ever agreed on "Playing Quail" and ended up at four different courses.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Norbert P

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »
   Signature Links !!!    Ooooooooh. Gotta play that one.

Old Mac's fine but I still wonder why it isn't New Mac.  How about New Albion ? Captain Cook's name for the area.

Coquille Links?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 12:01:26 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 12:44:50 PM »
Tom Yost,

"In 1997, the National Golf Foundation reported that the country’s five most popular course names were Riverside (46 courses), Lakeview (40), Rolling Hills (38), Hillcrest (37) and Lakeside (37). A more recent analysis of 16,294 American golf facilities reveals that 1,077 — almost 7 percent — include the word “hill” or “hills.” The other top words are (in order of frequency) creek, valley, lake, park, river, springs and pine. The five most-beloved golfing animals: the eagle, the deer, the fox, the bear and the quail. Pick one name each from those last two lists and you’ve got a winner: Have you played the back nine at Quail Valley?" 

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2009, 01:02:57 PM »

I will Name that club in three.

Course beside a river    “The Old Burn”
Course beside the sea  “The Old Blue”

For those who love films and have a course by the sea “The Chariots of Fire”

The Total Modern Club “The Electro-Chair”

For American returning to his home course after visiting the courses in Scotland  “The Old Grumpy”

Anthony’s new name for his club “The Tom-o-Cart” in honour of Tommy (and hours of seated conversation when they were meant to be playing golf – hence the 6 hour round).

My Club, I expect would be something like “ That Grumpy Old Git” by common request.

Melvyn

Rich Goodale

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »
   Signature Links !!!    Ooooooooh. Gotta play that one.

Old Mac's fine but I still wonder why it isn't New Mac.  How about New Albion ? Captain Cook's name for the area.

Coquille Links?

How wise you are, Slagster, vis a vis "New Macdonald."  If you need an agent once your design and naming capabilities businesses start to really take off, gie us a bell.

Rich

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
One of the worst methods is to open the process to a non-professional competition. We see this too frequently...a municipality or club thinks it can get good names from a public process...which is possible, yet the politics will usually rise in to swallow any benefit.

That is not to say that a selection poll, such as Old Macdonald, is not without merit. I think when a winnowed approach of professionally generated images or names is offered there is a good potential for a healthy public "voting" process.

But please...........stop the open competitions that bypass professional input. The best way to get names is to have the process managed by the marketing and creative people, and to make sure they get opinions from all of the players — golf designer, owners, staff, etc.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Trey Stiles

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
I got a call from the boss one day ... " We bought this course in Lubbock , Tx. , I need you to fly out there and do the transition " ... No problem , what's the name of the course ? ... " Shadow Hills " .... I get to Lubbock , find the course .

No Hills , No Shadows .... I think the biggest mound had about 4 ft of elevation change on a site with about 6" of elevation change.

I don't have a clue how they came up with that one ???

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »
I'm curious...

Other than picking a really bad name like "Featureless Flatlands Golf Club", does a name really make a difference for a golf course?  Isn't a course's reputation and success built more on word of mouth and how folks like the course?

I guess it just seems like much ado about nothing, but could just be my perception.

Emil Weber

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2009, 02:32:58 PM »
Bandon Dunes
PAcific Dunes
Bandon Trails

Old MacDonald ???   :-\ ???

I do like the nam Old Macdonald but it just doesn't fit into the 'system'

In UK/Europe, almost all courses are named after the closest town or village.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
I don't like names that are contrived. A recent trend here in the UK seemed to be naming with a "The" or prefixing with "National" (The Oxfordshire, Kent National, Cambridge National etc).

I prefer the name to say something about the place. My favourite course name of those that I've played would be Gag Magog in Cambridge.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 04:29:14 PM by Jamie Barber »

Troy Alderson

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
My thoughts on naming a golf course come from several factors. The area the course is located may be known for something and may be the course should reflect it. The owner of the course may have a favorite theme/item/person/animal they are fond of and can name the courrse accordiingly.

I do not understand why a golf course would be named something when there is already a course named that. How many Saint Andrews courses are there. The gall of the course taking that name is appalling. There is only one Saint Andrews, Augusta National, Pebble Beach, Bandon Dunes, and so on. Come up with your own name for the course, make it fit accordingly to the area and the quality of the maintenance program.

There is a "national" golf course in the Hillsboro area of Oregon. Nice course, maintained as best the superintendent is capable with the meager budget, but "national" to me means high end and nation wide members/golfers. This course is not that.

The name of the course is very important and should reflect the theme of the area and the level of maintenance. But we should remember that even Augusta National GC was not in the past as we know it today.

Troy

Chris Wirthwein

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
How Crooked Stick got its name.

Working with Pete and Alice Dye, I just finished writing the history of Crooked Stick Golf Club. Originally a number of other names were devised and considered. This 1964 letter from Eugene S. Pulliam (one of the club's founding members and later, USGA Exec VP) to the other principals discusses the matter:

June 15, 1964
Messrs. Cummings, Dye, Sweeney and Wick:
If I am to act capably as publicity man for our venture, we have to have a name for it. We’ve thrashed around and never made a decision, having more important things to decide. But now is the time to get his settled.

I am listing below some possibilities. Will you please indicate your first and second choices on this letter and mail it back to me? If we have anything approaching a consensus, that will be the name. If not, I guess we’ll have to hold a meeting. (If you have other suggestions, list them and I’ll recirculate this memorandum.)

The “Spring Run Golf Club” is based on a determination by Pete that one of the streams that runs through the property is known as Spring Run. The others, I hope, are more or less self-explanatory. It does seem to me we should pick a name which is distinctive, emphasizes golf and also has something to do with the unusual features of our club. My suggestions are as follows:

The Golf Club of Indianapolis
   The Golfer’s Club of Indianapolis
   The Spring Run Golf Club
   The Creek Club
   The Springs Golf Club
   The Beech Golf Club
   The Burn Club
   Others _____________________
                     Best regards,
                     ESP

As we now know, none of these stuck; the name Crooked Stick winning out instead. Here's the story (from the book) of how it came to be known as Crooked Stick...

A small booklet, published by the club a decade later, recounts how the club comes by this name:

“According to legend (probably apocryphal), Pete Dye and co-director Bill Wick were ambling through the fields that were the unfinished nine holes of the yet unnamed golf club. Still yet, according to legend, Pete began idly swinging a gnarled stick at some stones on the ground, and the name “Crooked Stick” leaped to the forefront for consideration.”

According to Pete, “While I was banging a stick on the ground, Bill Wick was the one that figured it out!”
Shortly after, Wick writes this essay proposing the club’s name – and observing the significance surrounding the seemingly innocent act:

What’s in a Name?

One of man’s most basic instincts is to pick up a stick. Make no mistake of this! Take a child into the woods and what is the first thing he will do? He will pick up a stick. And when he becomes a man, he will not put away this childish thing.

Without a stick, man is a puny creature. With it, he is superior to the other animals – and all because he learned to pick up a stick!
A stick is a weapon. It is a tool. It is a means of support. It is a companion when we walk alone. It is fuel for the fire that warms us. It is the shelter over our heads. It is a measuring rod. It is the fence that bounds our property. It is a mast on our ships. It is the pole from which our flag flies.

A stick is a plaything. It is a cane, a fishing rod, a vaulting pole, a baseball bat, a billiard cue, a tennis racket – yes, and a golf club.
Sticks are featured in our religion: ‘Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me’: in our folklore: diving rods, magic wands, witches’ broomsticks; in our songs; ‘The Same Old Shillelagh’ and even in our nursery rhymes:
‘There was a crooked man, Who had a crooked stick.’

It was just such a stick that we picked up one day while walking through a field on the site of our golf course: gnarled, knobby and crooked. As we absently swung it at a stone, it occurred to us that the game of golf must have had its informal beginnings just that way, more than eight centuries ago: with a boy and a shepherd’s crook and a stone and the smell of the open field.
And suddenly, we had a name for our Club! Gentlemen, may we propose CROOKED STICK GOLF CLUB!”

By April 8, 1965, shortly before the official opening of the back nine, members officially ratify Wick’s suggestion. Pete and Alice’s newborn has its name!

The book about Crooked Stick (entitled "Love at First Site -- Pete & Alice Dye's Crooked Stick Golf Club") is at the publisher and will be released mid-July...just in time for the U.S. Senior Open at Crooked Stick. I just saw the proofs of the first 75 pages yesterday. At this point, it's looking like 200+ pages and 200+ illustrations. I'll let folks know how to get a copy if you're interested.

Matthew Runde

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »
The easiest way to give a generic course a stuffy, pseudo-bucolic image is to name it after a cheap wine.  Just go to the supermarket, browse the wine selection, and choose the name that sticks in your head.

For example (my apologies if some of these are the names of actual courses):

Yellow Tail Golf Club
Rosemount Golf Club
The Course at Castle Rock
Summerfield Country Club
Black Swan Golf Club
Trumpeter Golf Club
Black Trumpeter Swan Golf Club
Columbia Crest Country Club
The Club at Trinity Oaks
Tin Roof Golf Course
The Course at Shingleback
Kenwood National Golf Links
Three Rivers Golf Club
Ravenswood Golf Club and Winery

Pat Burke

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 01:39:10 AM »
I always said if I opened a golf course I would call it Mourning Wood Golf Club

Makes for an interesting logo?
Tall Douglas fir with a couple small bushes?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back