News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Golfabet Soup A to Z ... except for G
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »
OK, I admit that I need some serious help.  But bear with me and use your imagination...

A - The cart paths leading out to the range at Ballyneal as seen from the 18th tee.

B - The fairway bunkers on Shinnecock #10:

C - Cart (or perhaps maintenance?) path at Sand Hills #8:

D - Area between the tees on #8 at CC of Charleston:

E - Green at #7 Ballyneal:

F - Steps up to #1 tee at Bandon Trails:

[SPACE RESERVED FOR G]

H - Ballyneal entrance sign:

I - #4 tee at Carolina GC:

J - Front right bunker on biarritz green at Yeamans #16:

K - Ridgelines above #9 at Sand Hills (you can just see the edge of Ben's Porch on the right), as seen from the 6th tee:

L - #9 at Shinnecock:

M - Greenside bunker at Sand Hills #12:

N - Lions mouth green at CC of Charleston #16:

O - Tee box on #9 at Diamond Creek:

P - Cart path circle next to the 11th green at Baltimore CC Five Farms as seen from the #15 fairway:

Q - Behind the 3rd green at Huntingdon Valley:

R - This may be my favorite.  The ridgelines above the 9th fairway at Ballyneal:

S - Short of the #11 green at Shinnecock:

T - Rake next to fairway bunker at CC of Charleston #4:

U - Fairway bunker at Old Town #7:

V - Between the fairway berms at CC of Charleston #15:

W - Fairway bunker at Old North State #1:

X - NGLA windmill as seen from the 1st tee.

Y - Tree adjacent to 7th green at CC of Charleston:

Z - The GCA equivalent of crop circles in the 18th fairway at Ballyneal:

I have no idea why I did this.

Ed
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:29:46 PM by Ed Oden »

Anthony Gray

Re: Golfabet Soup A to Z ... except for G
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »

Ed,

I need help also. Mike Young is a good person to talk to. My "I need help" thread got deleeted but Mike had some wonderful words of wisdom. Thank You for your effort in making this thread. I UNDERSTAND.

Anthony

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:29:38 PM »
I've got a new nickname for you Ed, (and I mean this in the nicest possible way)

Rain Man

P.S. I had some trouble with "K", but I think I found it, but I still can't see "Q" and "R". I guess it's like one of those pictures where you have to relax your eyes to see the image. I can never see those damn things.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:50:55 PM »
I've got a new nickname for you Ed, (and I mean this in the nicest possible way)

Rain Man

P.S. I had some trouble with "K", but I think I found it, but I still can't see "Q" and "R". I guess it's like one of those pictures where you have to relax your eyes to see the image. I can never see those damn things.

Uh oh, ten minutes to Wapner.

K and R are similar.  Both are created by the ridgelines in the hills above the fairway.  The Q is the round green with the tail between the shadows below the green.  Weak I know, but its the best I got.

For what its worth, this all started with the E green at Ballyneal #7 and some conversations I had with Bart Bradley about whether you could have an M green.  Ever since then, I have been "seeing" letters in photos I've taken.  What spurred this thread was when I found the A and the Z eerily next to each other in the same picture.  Here is the original photo...

...and a closeup of the letters together...

Anyone want to take a stab at guessing the courses/holes?

Ed

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »
Thanks Ed, brilliant!

Now, can you please list for us the cocktail of...uh...medications... that led to this essay--I want some!  :D

Mark Woodger

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:13:41 PM »
this is simply brilliant! Great creativity and i can imagine the fun you had trying to pull this together. Personally i think Q is one of the best.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
Magnificent Ed.

Last time I called my daughter over for a look was the Haiku thread.  "What are the nutters upto now?" She asked.

Dad and daughter have big smiles now. ;D

An English Alphabet

A for ’orses
B for mutton
C for yourself
D for dumb
E for brick
F for vescence
G for police
H for retirement
I for an eye
J for oranges
K for restaurant
L for leather
M for size
N for a penny
O for there
P for relief
Q for ticket
R for mo
S for you
T for two
U for mism
V for l’amour
W for a shilling
X for breakfast
Y for Gawd sake
Z for effect.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ed Oden

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »
Thanks, but "inane" and "pointless" are far better descriptions than "brilliant" and "magnificent".  No medications were involved other than a few therapy sessions with Dr. Mich Lite.  While I did enjoy pulling things together, I also realized that continuing to search for the elusive "G" could potentially extend this sad and pathetic obsession into eternity.  I feel much better now that my compulsion is out in the open.  While I think things are largely under control, I suspect that, much like John Nash, the visions will never entirely go away.  Proof of that lies in the fact that I have plenty more pics that didn't make the cut.

Ed 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 11:29:56 AM »
Cool, Ed, great stuff! Those are neat photos.

Is one of those Eagles Landing in Ocean City MD?

----- Nope, CC of Charleston.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 10:43:35 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Ed - Thanks.  You cost me about 2 hours last night as I went through more than 2,000 golf photos trying to find the G.  I learned that I have no talent for finding letters in golf photos.

Ed Oden

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
Bill, no, none of the pictures are of Eagles Landing.  I have updated my original post to include a brief description of each picture.

Tim, sorry to be the cause of wasted time.  But count your blessings as this is not a desirable "talent".  Kind of like saying you are disappointed that you don't hear voices.

Ed

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »
Ed, if you've seen The Matrix, you'll get my my next analogy. You are Neo at the end of the matrix (hopefully you haven't been shot several times and beaten to a pulp recently) you are now seeing the code behind everything. Just like Neo began seeing cascading ones and zeros, you are now seeing letters everywhere on golf courses. I just hope they aren't sending you messages about Kool-Aid or anything of the sort!

;)

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 07:21:54 AM »
My favorite is the R -- was the hardest for me to see, but also the coolest once I did. 

Ed, do you only see letters in pictures of golf courses, or is your symptom more wide-ranging than that? 

Ed Oden

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:04:48 AM »
Charlie, sorry, I am not a Matrix afficionado.  But I will assume that analogy is just as flattering as Rain Man.

Jim, only random letters so far.  Fortunately, in my case the disease has been caught at an early stage.  So with any luck I can avoid the more acute phases where I understand the letters arrange themselves into words that tell who designed Merion.

Ed

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
Charlie, sorry, I am not a Matrix afficionado.  But I will assume that analogy is just as flattering as Rain Man.

Jim, only random letters so far.  Fortunately, in my case the disease has been caught at an early stage.  So with any luck I can avoid the more acute phases where I understand the letters arrange themselves into words that tell who designed Merion.

Ed

Much more Flattering Ed. Anyone who's seen the movie would kill to be Neo.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
Ed --

While I previously didn't have your affliction...I might now.  Especially at is pertains to "G"!  Thanks... >:( :'( ;)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »
First off, Ed, I could name most of the photos without your help  ;D.

Secondly, I am very disturbed that I somehow inspired this breakdown.

Thirdly, this is an amazing post.

Fourthly, ....uh oh...numbers, numbers everywhere.

Bart

Ed Oden

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »
A few more from the second string that didn't quite make the original cut...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:56:46 AM by Ed Oden »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »
Damn!  It's contagious.  Was looking at the Laughlin thread, and found myself hunting for letters among the pix. 

Ed, do you ever see more than one letter in a picture?  Any words? 

Strongly recommend The Matrix to anyone who has not seen it. 

Ed Oden

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
Ed, do you ever see more than one letter in a picture?  Any words? 

Jim, I've found a number of pictures with more than one letter.  The best example is the one I posted in reply #3.  Luckily, however, no words so far.  I'll get really worried if they start speaking to me.

Ed

Dunlop_White

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:53 PM »
Those OTC bunkers are really much worse looking when viewing them next to those at Sand Hills, Shinnecock, and Ballyneal. We need a bunker redo in the worst way. Ugh!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:22:48 PM by Dunlop_White »

Ed Oden

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
The elusive "G" spot?  I'll let you be the judge...

Bart Bradley

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »
Gee Ed:

I think U are seeing things!

I have several pictures that are at least as lame as yours for the letter G ...I was just too ashamed to post them because like this picture they really aren't "G"s...keep trying...the obsession must continue... ;D.

Bart

Adam Clayman

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 12:05:10 AM »
While it may be a bit of a stretch.. the bunkers next to the E green form a lower case g if you close off the bottom curl the way the "Life is Good" people do.
http://www.lifeisgood.com/?gclid=CP6S24rq1psCFQ_yDAodSm2q_w
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Gene Greco

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:47 AM »
"G"
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back