News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Golfabet Soup A to Z ... except for G
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 11:26:05 AM »
The bushes behind the 10th tee at Galen Hall Country Club:

:)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:01 AM »
"G"

Very cool, GG!

Am I the only who ever duck hooked a 9-iron into similar territory left of #15?   ::)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »
Ed,

I thought this thread was very clever, in a slightly Rain Man sort of way ;), but as for the X below, when I first looked at this pic, I immediately saw a dove in flight.

Gene Greco

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
"G"

Very cool, GG!

Am I the only who ever duck hooked a 9-iron into similar territory left of #15?   ::)

Bill:

This picture was shot through  the group of cypress trees bisecting the 17th fairway at CP.

Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
"G"

Very cool, GG!

Bill:

This picture was shot through  the group of cypress trees bisecting the 17th fairway at CP.

Gene

That's why I said "similar territory!"  There is a dense copse of cypress hard left of #15 green.  I doubt many others have ever had to chop out of there as I did my first time around CPC!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 12:51:16 PM »
I have J and E in the same picture. ;D

This is a fun little thread.  When I get time, I'll try to post a few myself.  Good stuff, Ed.

You too Tony..."what are the nutters up to now..." Priceless!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ed Oden

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
Gee Ed:

I think U are seeing things!

I have several pictures that are at least as lame as yours for the letter G ...I was just too ashamed to post them because like this picture they really aren't "G"s...keep trying...the obsession must continue... ;D.

Bart

Now, if someone had called this whole thread "lame", I could hardly disagree.  As I have said from the beginning, I need serious help.  But to question my visionary powers, well that cuts to the quick.  And to have such doubt eminate from my good friend Bart Bradley is, quite frankly, more than any self-respecting delusional crackpot can take.  Alas, not everyone has the "gift".  So for those (like Bart) who are GCA Letter Challenged, here is a connect the dots version to help you find your way:

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »
When I played at Olympic I was told that the greenside bunekrs there spell out I-O-U.  You can't see it too well from this photo, but it is there...

Bart Bradley

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »
Gee Ed:

I think U are seeing things!

I have several pictures that are at least as lame as yours for the letter G ...I was just too ashamed to post them because like this picture they really aren't "G"s...keep trying...the obsession must continue... ;D.

Bart

Now, if someone had called this whole thread "lame", I could hardly disagree.  As I have said from the beginning, I need serious help.  But to question my visionary powers, well that cuts to the quick.  And to have such doubt eminate from my good friend Bart Bradley is, quite frankly, more than any self-respecting delusional crackpot can take.  Alas, not everyone has the "gift".  So for those (like Bart) who are GCA Letter Challenged, here is a connect the dots version to help you find your way:

Ed:

I certainly don't appreciate being referred to as "challenged"..but hesitantly I shall officially remove the "lame" tag from your G.

It remains less than the ideal specimen and for someone of your apparent "gift", I thought you could do better.

May the G-force be with you.

Bart

Ed Oden

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
Ed:

I certainly don't appreciate being referred to as "challenged"..but hesitantly I shall officially remove the "lame" tag from your G.

It remains less than the ideal specimen and for someone of your apparent "gift", I thought you could do better.

May the G-force be with you.

Bart

Ahhh Grasshopper!  Confucius said "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance."  I have no idea what that means but surely it is deep and profoundly relevant.  But I digress.  Yes, perhaps my G is less than ideal.  But so is my golf swing, cholesterol level and financial strength.  And while I will lose no sleep tonight over those imperfect conditions, I will also be mindful of any potential for improvement.  So too shall I treat my G.

Ed

Brad Tufts

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »
Really Great!  Had one of these on my face growing bigger with each letter...  :)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »
Augusta National has the G. Can you spot it?

Hint: the first arch of the Hogan bridge, plus the reflections in the water ...

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ed Oden

Re: Golfabet Soup A to Z ... including G
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
I had hoped that this thread would prove cathartic to my condition.  However, the pooh-poohing my good friend Bart Bradley gave my last effort to reach a literary conclusion has served as a cruel impediment to full recovery.  So I continued my quest to find the G-spot, all the while questioning both my adequecy and whether such a thing even exists.  And then, last night while searching in places I've been a thousand times before, I bumped into this:

Clearly, this is a case I wasn't expecting.  While some may argue that I failed to capitalize on many prior opportunities, I prefer to think of it as a lesson learned that sometimes you just have to set your sights a little lower.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:10:05 PM by Ed Oden »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
Ed:

My dear fellow, the quest is over.  Long live the quest.

Bart

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »
"S" -- Bunker left of the 10th green at Sand Ridge in Ohio

"X" -- Bunker right of 10th fairway at St. George's in Canada

Ed Oden

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
Ah yes, a blast from my literary past.  Brings a tear to my "I".  I'm not ashamed to admit that I was a bit of a letter belt-notcher in days gone by.  I told myself that I was just looking for letters that I liked and not working from a list.  But criticism that my obsessive desire to tick off one letter after another (often for free no less) compromised my literary integrity would not be without merit.  Some questioned whether the completion of my alphabetic quest would leave me directionless with no more mountains to climb.  Would the need for further trivial pursuits lead me to far more dangerous (given my mathematical shortcomings) numerical or symbolic searches?  No, I am fulfilled - serenely content with the knowledge that I have accomplished something very few have attempted, much less finished. 

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
Ed,

Congratulations on completing the quest!  One can't help but wonder how you would rank the letters.  Any chance of a Top 26?  

Mark
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 02:07:38 PM by Mark Pritchett »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
Ah yes, a blast from my literary past.  Brings a tear to my "I".  I'm not ashamed to admit that I was a bit of a letter belt-notcher in days gone by.  I told myself that I was just looking for letters that I liked and not working from a list.  But criticism that my obsessive desire to tick off one letter after another (often for free no less) compromised my literary integrity would not be without merit.  Some questioned whether the completion of my alphabetic quest would leave me directionless with no more mountains to climb.  Would the need for further trivial pursuits lead me to far more dangerous (given my mathematical shortcomings) numerical or symbolic searches?  No, I am fulfilled - serenely content with the knowledge that I have accomplished something very few have attempted, much less finished. 

New challenge?    Arabic numerals 1-9 + 0?   ;D

Ed Oden

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »

One can't help but wonder how you would rank the letters.  Any chance of a Top 26?  

Mark, any ranking is an exercise in subjectivity.  We all have our own personal favorites and biases.  So, admittedly, my list may differ from those of others.  Plus, ask me again tomorrow and it may change.  Nevertheless, I'll take a crack at putting them in some sort of order.  I will start with a top 5, which in my book have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the alphabet:

1.  "R" - Simply the best.  Equal parts bold and subtle.  A lifetime of experience may not be enough to fully appreciate its every nuance.  It is hard to believe that such a masterpiece could have been the brainchild of an amateur.  While some may question the legend of how "R" was discovered (could it really have been seen from US-385?), no one can dispute its place at the top of any serious ranking.

2.  "A" - This is where it all started.  The home of the alphabet.  Sure, new big words have pushed it toward the margins.  And some just don't "get" it initially.  But it is impossible to be a true man of letters without a deep understanding and appreciation of "A".  And reverse "A" isn't to be missed if you ever get the chance to experience it.

3.  "Z" - So close to "A" in spirit, yet the opposite in many ways.  Whereas anyone can see "A", very few will ever be fortunate enough to get an invitation to view "Z".  Some claim that its overly stenciled look has been detrimental to the font of other letters.  But strip away all the glitter and it remains an absolutely fantastic example of strategic thinking...unless, of course, you are a woman.

4.  "D" - A personal favorite.  "D" just oozes minimalism.  If I could only use words that begin with one letter for the rest of my life, I could pick "D" and write fulfilling prose.  "D" doesn't disappoint.  See!!!

5.  "E" - For my money, easily the best of the moderns.  A fantastic blend of classic concepts with contemporary flair.  Simply brilliant.  I just hope it survives.

I will follow with more thoughts if time permits.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:04:15 PM by Ed Oden »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:20 PM »
B  --- for brilliant  ;D.  If only your other posts were this insightful  ;).

B bart, B brilliant...get it.

Bart

Garland Bayley

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »
Augusta National has the G. Can you spot it?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »
I still cannot see the R.  Perhaps I am not worthy.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
My mind was so at peace looking for the letters that it took me until Ed said that this was a blast from the past for me to realize that this thread is a few years old.  :-\  ;D
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Ed Oden

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »
I still cannot see the R.  Perhaps I am not worthy.

Jason, there's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the "R"...

Jason Topp

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »
I still cannot see the R.  Perhaps I am not worthy.

Jason, there's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the "R"...

Beautiful!  I definitely am not worthy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back