News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Public Golf Near Lake Geneva?
« on: May 21, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
I'm not sure what the prevailing thinking is these days regarding these kinds of threads, but I value the opinions of those here so I thought I'd ask:  I'm heading to a wedding in Lake Geneva, WI in July, was thinking of squeezing in some golf and wondered whether there are any worthy public-access courses around Lake Geneva or between Chicago and Lake Geneva?

I researched some old threads and found some courses mentioned such as Spring Valley and Oak Grove; are these worth playing?  Am I better off playing something closer to Chicago, like Pine Meadow, on the way up? 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

SL_Solow

Re: Public Golf Near Lake Geneva?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »
When are you coming?  If you are flying into O'Hare we might arrange a game.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »
Geneva National has three courses, two of which are public access each day (the Player course is usually given the most plaudits of the three).  Hawk's View is a newer public access course, and has a pretty cool par-3 course in case you're with some people who don't play much golf but who want to get out.  Grand Genva has two courses, the Brute and the Highlands(?) which are just okay.  Dan Moore will tell you to stop at Spring Valley on your drive up to Wisconsin http://www.springvalleyccsalem.com/index.html, and Oak Grove is certainly worth the effort imo.  Also consider Thunder Hawk and Shepard's Crook in northern IL (the latter if you want to save a few dineros for the wedding gift).

But if you're coming to the Windy City in July, make the time to get out to Lemont to play the renovated Dubsdread.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »
See if you can get on Big Foot Country Club - I think it is private but allows for guest play. Absolutely brutal track, very overlooked.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:19:13 AM »
Big Foot is an intriguing option if you can get on.  A 1920's Bendelow track on some very nice terrain.  Mark played there last year and can give a 1st hand opinion.  Another area private and one of the oldest courses in the country is Lake Geneva CC.  1895-96 Jim Foulis course recently updated by Dave Esler.  Looks very cool. 

Among the local publics, if you don't mind cart golf, my favorite has been the Palmer Course at Geneva National followed by the Player and the very early Dye Nicklaus colloboration at Grand Geneva, I think they call it the Highlands now.  Hawk's View is newish and I wouldn't put it ahead of the Geneva National courses. 

The 30 minute away options include Oak Grove (30 minutes SW) and Spring Valley (30 minutes (east).  Oak Grove is very under the radar and has nice terrain, excellent greens and one or two head scratchers (#11 in particular).  Not that an occasional head scratcher is necessariliy a bad thing.  Usually not that crowded.  My personal favorite in the area for architecture and blue collar ambience is Langford Moreau's Spring Valley.  Some excellent old school greens in need of significant recapture, a terrific routing and 5-6 outstanding golf holes. Conditioning is sometimes a problem, but who's to complain for a prime time $21.50 green fee.   Spring Valley is more or less right on the route from O'hare to Lake Geneva.  Mid-afternoons tend to be very open, even on weekends.  I've posted plenty of photos you can find via the search engine.

You won't go wrong with Pine Meadow, also along the route from O'Hare.  Built over 12 holes of the original Flynn seminary course, its always in good shape. 

My wife's parents live in Lake Geneva so I spend a fair amount of time up there and might be able to join you for a game depending on the weekend. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »
Tim-

You already have some very nice opinions already, so I'll just add my two cents quickly.

It all depends on where you are flying into first, but assuming you only have time for a round in actual Lake Geneva I would probably stick to either Grand Geneva or Geneva National resorts...as it's tough to go too wrong with either. Of the two I would try to play either the Highlands course at Grand Geneva (which used to be the old Playboy Resort) because of its neat history of being an early Dye/Jack N. course. At Geneva National I always liked the Player course the best...esp the newer 9 holes that were just built.

Hawks View is a nice solid public as well.

I know tons of people that love Oak Grove...but I could never stand it.
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »

Please elaborate. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 12:06:24 PM »

Please elaborate. 

Sorry Dan, I should of in the first place instead of making a passing comment.

Oak Grove does alot of things right...specifically they offer a somewhat inexpensive "premium" public course, and if you play during the week the course can be almost empty.

As for the design, there are some good holes;

#1 - This is a nice dogleg right opening hole and the trend I find at Oak Grove is the the holes that don't try too hard are generally the best.

#3 - Nice long par-3.

#6 - A bit of a slog but pretty good.

And the not so good;

#2 - Goofy, as there is the risk-reward fairway but taking the riskier drive down the left leaves you a blocked shot into the green. Thanks.

#5 had potential with the neat bunker in front...but the OB is WAY too close to the left side of the green.

#8 has too much going on IMO, and is too hard to hit with any bit of wind.

#10 too tight off the tee, landing area is too busy.

#11 one of the worst holes in history

#13 another hole with too much going on, esp around the greens.

#14 goofy green on a similar par-3 that you feel like you have already seen 3 times already in the round.

#15 way too tight for the length, long par-4 slog.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts.
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »
Tim:

This is a decent run-down of public options in the Lake Geneva area, with links to specific courses:

http://www.visitwalworthcounty.com/golfing.html

The only semi-big-name course not mentioned so far is Abbey Springs, a Killian-Nugent design on the south side of Lake Geneva that some like, some don't. Some good views.

The real off-the-radar course that's a lot of fun (and took me about 80 minutes to play, walking, if you're pressed for time), is Country Club Estates GC, an untouched 9-hole Bendelow over some really fun terrain that's about five minutes from the front door of Bendelow's better-known Big Foot CC.

I'd second (and third) people's nomination of Big Foot CC. I was wandering around there the other day, and although I have yet to figure out a way to get on it, the club just oozes a certain back-in-time charm, from the course (I've heard a fairly faithful Bendelow) to the stately clubhouse (full of all kinds of Native American artificats and terrific history of the course) to the modest clubhouse set among some magnificant old oak and maple trees.

Dan Moore

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »
Pat,  Thanks. 

I've always felt what Oak Grove has going for it is a very nice isolated, natural site, albeit way out in the country from Chicago, and excellent greens including several that use natural slopes to great effect (#3, #12, #17).  What I count against it is some weak par 5's (11 and 18), repetitive par 3's (5, 8 and 14 all seem like a variation of the same hole) and a very weak par 5 closing hole #18 coming after a par 3. 

The good. 

#1 agree its a good opener

#3  nice uphill par 3 with a devilsih green

#4  like the blind uphill drive

#5 like the uphill shot to the diagonal green (don't like that 8 and 14 have greens on the same diagonal)

#6  like the use of the big hill and quirky centerline tree

#7  nicely understated par4

#9  nice green site

#12  nice use of terain and good green site that uses natural slope of the hill

#13  I've always liked this hole nad its green but have never played it from the back tee--huge 100 yard distance

#15  like the big hump in the fairway which covers a natural well

#16  very natural hole over a ravine;  need to know where to hit drive to diagonal fairway

#17 very nice green site

Comments on your thumbs down comments.

#2 - Goofy, as there is the risk-reward fairway but taking the riskier drive down the left leaves you a blocked shot into the green.
agree on the trees but have always thought the trees left were meant to be removed and think it would be  a fine hole if they were

#5 had potential with the neat bunker in front...but the OB is WAY too close to the left side of the green.
There is a bunker ands cartpath between the green and OB, I've never seen anyone have trouble with the ob,

#8 has too much going on IMO, and is too hard to hit with any bit of wind.
can be a hard green to hit but thats ok

#10 too tight off the tee, landing area is too busy.
landing area is awkward

#11 one of the worst holes in history
thats debatable but not without supporters.  its awkward but has some reedemable risk reward attributes.  i've heard it wasn't built to design due to wetlands issues. which makes sense given the long walk from 10 green.

#13 another hole with too much going on, esp around the greens.
this is a bit much from the back tee but otherwise I've liked this green perched across the stream. I might feel differently if I had 100 yard longer approach shot.  usually its a 9 or wedge. 

#14 goofy green on a similar par-3 that you feel like you have already seen 3 times already in the round.
agree its repetive but don't recall the green being goofy

#15 way too tight for the length, long par-4 slog.
yes its tight at a tight point in the round.  I kinda like that. 

I have few photos somewhere I may try to post if I can find them. 

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
Tim,  Another course not mentioned that is a fun track is Plum Tree.It is outside Harvard as is Oak Grove. If you have time to play 36 holes in a day these two are only 10-15 minutes apart on the way to Lake Geneva. Big Foot is probably the better of the privates in the area. The Lake Geneva CC is very well maintained, very quiet, but not the course Big Foot is in my opinion.  It is in fact one of the older clubs in the state. It is also the only club I've played that I arrived by boat to play-not my idea, as the drive was only 20 minutes around the lake!   Have your pro call Big Foot and you will have great day! Best of luck,  Jack

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 10:32:08 PM »
I've only played Lake Geneva CC, and while it's overall a cool experience (arrive by boat, drink a few purple-nurples), the golf course itself -- at least as of ten years ago -- isn't particularly compelling. 

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »
Big Foot is by far the best golf course in the Lake Geneva area.

Set in the hills overlooking the lake. It has a several springs that flow down the hill side in meandering little creeks.

David Smolensky

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Tim:

The best advise I can give you if you are playing 1-2 rounds on your visit is to avoid Hillmoor Cc......it's been closed for 18-24 months!!  I went past the entrance last fall and I could bearly tell where the greens were.  Appearently the owners attempted to alter the course to include a housing development which would change the course to par 68-69 but financing went south.  Perhaps this was best for the original layout.....cross your fingers that someone buys it and restores it once the economy gets better.

Regards
Smo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back