News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Operation Ferris Wheel - The Magic of GCA.com
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »
Yesterday, I had the pleasure to host some friends on and off GCA.com at Hidden Creek. The reason for the trip was sometime poster and full time gentleman Peter Herreid was in from Seattle on an East Coast golf tour.

Peter played Lancaster CC on Tuesday with a GCA.com host, Hidden Creek on Wednesday with me and he was playing Pine Hill and Tavistock CC today. Not a bad little East Coast trip.

Well on the 17th hole yesterday at Hidden Creek, I started to compare Hidden Creek with Pine Valley. "Peter, the 17th has the look of Pine Valley, but you know it just doesn't quite have the rock and roll terrain of Pine Valley. Hopefully someday you will see it for yourself." Zing #1.

GCAer Tom Dunne chimed in, "Well I am glad C&C did not really try to copy Pine Valley because well it is Pine Valley and it can't be recreated." Zing #2.

A few beers in the clubhouse, we had other Pine Valley stories of playing the course with Jim Finnegan. More stories about the cabins, the Short Course ........ Zing #3-10......

Peter loves golf. Like many people, he has never played Pine Valley, but it is #1 or 2 on his "Must See" list.

Well this morning at 7:40 AM, Peter did not have a tee time at Pine Hill. He had a tee time at Pine Valley Golf Club. Being from Seattle I doubt that he knew any of the South Jersey logistics this morning as he was being driven by another GCAer from their hotel. Thus, the goal of "Operation Ferris Wheel" was for Peter to not know he was playing Pine Valley until he saw the amusement park or the little booth at the entrance to Pine Valley.

While Peter does have to endure playing today with my caddy from my 1980 Catholic League Championship round, I am still expecting that he is still having a very good morning. If he isn't still crying on the fourth or fifth hole right now, he is also experiencing one of my favorite places in the golf world on a gorgeous day! I am running around today but hopefully I will have a report later.

PS. I am just a small cog in Operation Ferris Wheel, many others did the actual work to set it up. Tom Dunne was unaware of Operation Ferris Wheel until after Peter had left, but he really killed him with some of his PV stories!

PCCraig

Re: Operation Ferris Wheel - The Magic of GCA.com
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:13:57 AM »
Sounds like a great trip. Let us know how he likes it...(almost an obvious answer, but still).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:57:52 PM by Pat_Craig »
H.P.S.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Mike - what a GREAT story.

I expect some reports here!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »

Mike,

Wonderful story...........The Spirit of the Game lives on.

Anthony

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:32:17 AM »
I wonder what he was thinking when he drove by this scene:

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »
very cool!  i look forward to the reports
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Michael Blake

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:40 AM »
Great story.
And beauuuuutiful weather today!

Look forward to reading about his day.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
Fun story, Mike.  I'm looking forward to hearing Peter's version of the Pine Valley Punked episode.

Cheers,
Brad

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Peter earlier in the week and was aware of Operation Ferris Wheel.  In contrast to Mike, I was terrified to say the words Pine Valley at any point for fear he would begin to wonder.  What a terrific day for PV!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
Maybe the best opening post to a thread that I've read on this site.  What a story to tell for the rest of his life!

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »
We need video of his REACTION!!!

ChipRoyce

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
As Mastercard would say - "Priceless....."

What a great bunch of guys to set that up for him.

Nick Church

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
A fantastic surprise.  Any follow up on his reaction would be great to hear, too.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »
We need video of his REACTION!!!

Knowing Peter, we might get videos of Pine Valley.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »
Mike,
Awesome story and so creative.  If you ever wanted to do something like that with me, I promise to act surprised.   ;D

I had the pleasure of playing with Peter and Dan Taylor at Holston last year.  Great guys.  For those that are relatively new to the site, Peter's name always reminds me of perhaps the funniest golf story ever.  While Pine Valley will be awesome, no day in golf can compare to this:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,18015.0.html

Hope you had a wonderful day Peter.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »
Restores my faith in GCA.com

Thanks Mike and all involved!

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »
John,

I remember the rabbit story but didn't realize until now that it was Peter.  Between that and PV, we'll have plenty to talk about at dinner at Ballyneal in a few weeks.

Good stuff.

Jim

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »
Maybe the best opening post to a thread that I've read on this site.  What a story to tell for the rest of his life!

My thoughts exactly - a hearty well-done to everyone involved.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Dunne

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
I can only imagine the look on Dr. Herreid's face when he passed into the sanctum sanctorum. Maybe like Ralphie getting his Red Ryder BB gun on Christmas morning to the nth degree. It's just one of the nicest things you could possibly imagine doing for a golf crony. Bravo Dan Taylor. Bravo Mike Sweeney for the killer setup and for hosting a fantastic day of golf.

Matthew Runde

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 02:36:36 PM »
This is so cool.  I love it.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
I thought Tavistock was hosting the Philly Am today?

Or was that part of the plan?

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
Tremendous story and tremendous gentlemen.  A memory he will enjoy for a lifetime.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »
Thanks for the post and IM's.

Operation Ferris Wheel is now complete and the target is expected to comment after his trip back to Seattle.

I did receive a message from the Chairman of the Philadelphia Federal Reserve thanking us for for sending the one man stimulus package to Clementon, NJ. It appears that Pine Valley golf shop had some sort of record receipts today.  :D

Ron Csigo

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
Wow!  I just got goose bumps!

What a tremendous gift and story!  Hats off to Mike and everyone else involved. 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »
Good evening, gents!

One of the most challenging things to hang onto as one ages is a sense of joyfulness and wonder, and the ability to be “amazed”.  It is somewhat of a conflict with our supposed senses of experience and knowledge, as wizened veterans of life.  Similarly, on this board at least, it is often felt or assumed that is a virtue to have seen much of what this game of golf has to offer in every different venue, in every different climate, in every different time frame, with every different technologic enhancement, from every different angle…

Sometimes, it might be better to be childlike…

We might all be different culturally, but I suspect that each of us has had, at some point, an experience of child-like wonderment.  For example, can there be many experiences to compare with the first time one sees the broad swaths of green grass at a real pro baseball stadium at a real Major League Baseball game, or the sense of marvel on a very first airplane ride!

Today, I was given the gift of joyful wonderment and an opportunity to reconnect with that sense of amazement…

With absolutely no advance notice, and from individuals motivated not by what other people could do for them, but by how they could bring surprise, joy and exhilaration to someone else, I was able to experience Pine Valley for the very first time.  For those of you expecting a photo essay or video capturing of some of these moments, I am afraid I will have to disappoint.  On the other hand, I might be preserving for you, as these folks did for me, the opportunity to be amazed and to truly experience something fascinating for the very first time.

I was as gullible, surprised, and shocked as I hope all of you will be when a “golf dream” comes true, no matter whether it comes at a particular place, or with a particular accomplishment, or at a particular time in your life—my wish for all of you is that there is still something out there in golf or some other area of your life which has the capacity to truly amaze and surprise you…

While I could recount the round itself, it really makes no difference, as the series of jabs, stabs, swipes, chops and hacks were merely the half-seconds that were interwoven between the true “moments”—the walks between the holes, around the corners, over the rises and down into the valleys—the chats between the engaging host, the more experienced fellow players and the rookie, and the knowing chuckles when shots disappeared into the unknown, as the first-timer quickly met the fate of so many at Pine Valley, but loving the pain all the way around.

In my line of work, I am often confronted by people and situations at often the most stressful and trying of times, and all too often with the knowledge that outcomes cannot always be as hopeful, positive and joyous as we all would like.

We all have various motivations for the pursuit of this passion we share, and to think that we can accurately comment on and perhaps criticize each other’s motives is both impossible and unwise.  I feel that far too often in this forum we seek out the negative in each other or in someone else as a way to elevate ourselves to a higher place than we might otherwise deserve.  It is disappointing to know that there are posts implying, directly or indirectly, that there might be joy in the misfortune of others—course closures, tough economic decisions, questionable maintenance practices, the parenting of the Wies and others, etc…  We all lose out, individually and collectively, when we let those forces push us away from what is fun, and joyous, about this pursuit…

When occasions such as today arise, it brings out the very best in the game that we all love, or purport to love—the camaraderie, the joy of seeing someone else succeed or be elated, the element of surprise (which we often cherish in architecture), the friendship, the interaction with one’s surroundings—all of which came without a sense of entitlement or expectation of any return.

Today, as I rush steadily toward age 50, with all the presumed burdens of advanced adulthood and expectations, I was given the best gift of all—the chance to be a child again, at perhaps the greatest swath of green grass (and pine trees, and scrub, and waste, and sand and air) and “major League ballpark” that golf has to offer.

For that I will be eternally and graciously grateful to those who participated in creating this opportunity.  In return I can offer only the pledge that I will try never to lose (completely!) that childlike sense of wonder and amazement, and that I can continue to look for ways to foster that spirit in others…

Yes, Pine Valley was, and will continue to be, all that one could have hoped for, and more---but the knowledge that friends are out there who are willing and excited to go through this effort is clearly the far greater experience…

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back