News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Smith

New YouTube Video on Old Mac
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:06:53 PM »
A great video on Old Mac by Kemper Sports which I am not sure if everyone has seen.

http://punchbowlgolf.com/2009/05/more-old-mac/

Really good stuff.

Ben Sims

Re: New YouTube Video on Old Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
You can't tell me that golf isn't a game that's meant to be fun when you see the guys talking so giddily about the Strath bunker on the Eden hole.  I particularly liked when Mr. Doak smiled wryly after saying "we hope we don't have too much of that here" when speaking about playing out backwards. 

You can see in the background behind Mr. Urbina;  a huge hole--it looked like a hole, or in construction terms, a cut--right beside the temporary tee for the 3rd hole up near the snag.  Can anyone that worked on the project tell me what that was?  I almost fell 30 feet down that thing trying to see what was going on down there.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:52:12 PM »
Ben;

The third hole is the Sahara, and the 'cut' you refer to is what used to be a sand source for topdressing, etc. during the first several years of operation for Bandon and Pac....a big open pit in that huge sand ridge that defines so much of the resort property.

Hope this helps,

Tom
the pres

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »
Mr. Jefferson,

Thanks for the info and I must pay the 10 dollars I lost to my buddy.  He knows nothing about golf and said goofily "I bet thats what they used for sand on the other courses" 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
I love we have a guy named Tom Jefferson on this site  ;D  Mr. Jefferson should I say....

Will, what a great video. 

We are really seeing the nuances teased out here with strategy and replica design.  It really looks like Keiser/Urbina/Doak weren't trying to just replicate the holes, they were trying to replicate the thoughts and strategies.  Very thought provoking!  I love this Eden idea.  I thought Doak's Eden at Beechtree was fantastic, but I suppose it could get better give the land that Old Mac sits on.

Will Smith

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:47:22 PM »
Just to be clear, I did not produce or shoot the video, just happened to find it. John Dunn is a friend and it is good to see him bantering with Doak/Urbina.

Josh Lesnick told me that they were going to do this for every hole. Interesting that they started with No. 2. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:59:37 PM by Will Smith »

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
good stuff!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
Great find.  Thank you for posting.  I'm very much looking forward to my visit in October to check out the new course.

Nick Church

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
I have got to convince my regular golf group that now is the time to plan a trip to Bandon.  Thanks for updating us on the videos.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back