News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Maketewah today - US Open qualifier
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:31:21 PM »
I looped for a friends kid today.

Could be 18 of the best (severe) green complexes I have ever seen.

They were running at 10.5 today.

I experienced seeing a couple 3 putts from 3 feet.....and a 3 footer putted off the green on 15.

The course was in great condition.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re: Maketewah today - US Open qualifier
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
It has been many many years, but I remember Maketewah being a very challenging set of greens.  What were your thoughts on the rest of the course.

I am trying to remember how many years ago it was, I think I was pretty much a GCA novice when I was there the last time.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:21:09 PM »
Go Rockers!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »
Go Rockers!

Dang how did you remember that?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »
Go Rockers!

Dang how did you remember that?

Everyone at King's Putter talked about the really cool dude from SDSM&T. Me? I just hung with Anthony.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JNC Lyon

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:46 AM »
Where is Maketewah? Who is the architect?  I love pure and fast greens, but those conditions don't necessarily sound reasonable.  The part about putting a three-footer off the green seems a bit ridiculous.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tom Roewer

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »
JNC - Maketewah is in Cincinnati just east of I75 and due west of Camargo and Kenwood.  Doesn't get mentioned too much, but has a great logo and clubhouse, greens are pure.  cited as Bendelow 1910 & Ross 1929

noonan

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »
It seemed like a fun course. 6680 form the tips. It is a shotmakers gem. There are only a couple long par 4's that would require long and accurate drives.

As my "kid" 4 putted on the most severe green I noticed the pro and some of the others in carts watching. We had to walk by to get to the next tee. I think they were enjoying the misery the pin placement was inflicting on the players. I made the comment to them that that pin position was too severe and tricked up. A sever position on the back of a green is hard and penal. If you put the pin within 3 feet of a false front you will have people putting off the green.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:13:33 PM »
I have played Maketewah on several occasions, it is a nice course that is stuck in a lousy neighborhood. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures the last time I played!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
... I made the comment to them that that pin position was too severe and tricked up. ...

How many players in the qualifier did not have to putt to that hole location?

noonan

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:01 PM »
... I made the comment to them that that pin position was too severe and tricked up. ...

How many players in the qualifier did not have to putt to that hole location?

I am not sure how many players holed out or chipped in   ;D

Shannon Wheeler

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:37:39 PM »
Regardless of the hole location, neither the pro nor super had anything to do with the hole locations.  We just hosted a qualifier last Thursday and I caddied for our pro. The local chapter official from the Florida Golf Association decided on pin locations.  And they are competing for a chance to play in the U.S. Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back