News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Re: 10 reasons the (British) Open is the best major.
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 05:19:07 AM »
I don't know which is the best, or which I even prefer. I think the fact that I watch the US tournaments at night adds to the occasion.

I know you can't just create a new Major, but what about a Major that tours the world? What if the PGA was to move outside the US every other year?
John Marr(inan)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 05:35:24 AM »

Jack

Tours the World - like F1 - No thank you.

Is golf just about money?

Melvyn

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 05:49:28 AM »
I don't know Melvyn... Although it's impractical (because the PGA belongs to the PGA and you can't just make up history), I always thought that the 4th Major should be hosted in different countries... Majors are World events and to have a fourth one held on classic courses in Australia, France, Holland, Belgium and maybe even Portmarnock would be great for spectators (and hopefully non US based players)...

Josh Stevens

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 06:03:51 AM »
No 10 on that list is really the key, the public can play the courses.  I am playing one on friday and the thought of hitting around where all the greats have been is rather fun.

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
I don't know Melvyn... Although it's impractical (because the PGA belongs to the PGA and you can't just make up history), I always thought that the 4th Major should be hosted in different countries... Majors are World events and to have a fourth one held on classic courses in Australia, France, Holland, Belgium and maybe even Portmarnock would be great for spectators (and hopefully non US based players)...

I kinda like that idea. Make it match play and you've got me!

Hell, even making the PGA a match play event would give it a decent boost, and at the very least set it apart from the US Open.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 06:53:15 AM »
That would be good Scott... Return the PGA to Matchplay as it was meant to be...

Jack_Marr

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »
Melvyn

Nothing to do with money. Sure how would the money benefit me? I was just wondering about the idea, really. Not sure how good an idea it is at all.

And, while there are 18 (?) F1 races each year, there's only one PGA, so the logistics wouldn't be as difficult. They Olympics move around the world, as does the World Cup, the World Athletics Championships, the Winter Olympics... And so do regular golf tournaments.

But, as Ally said, it's probably not a runner. I'm happy enough with the way things are anyway.

John

Jack

Tours the World - like F1 - No thank you.

Is golf just about money?

Melvyn
John Marr(inan)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »

Jack

IMHO one PGA is enough to last a year. ;)

Melvyn

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
I'm not sure there is a "best" major or even tournament.

I grew up just as excited to watch the Austrailian Open live at 2am on the Golf Channel every winter as I did the Brittish Open.

The Masters is almost in a league of its own here in the States, and it is now becoming every bit international as the Brittish Open.
The U.S. Open is the national championship, but sometimes it can be a bit of a bore to me.
The Brittish Open is fun to watch as long as the weather acts up, I enjoyed watching Tiger shoot 80+ at Muirfield. However they are not the best courses to watch on TV.
The PGA is forging its own identity now by going to more modern golf courses every once in a while, which I like as the others all seem to have their own rota.

And the Western Open was/is just as much of a Major as any one of these tournaments.
H.P.S.

tlavin

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »
I used to rank the majors in my head, but as I age and as I grow to appreciate each of the majors for the inherent joys of each, I have come to the conclusion that the first three majors are basically equal and the PGA is a distant fourth.  I get really jacked up for the Masters every year.  The memories that fill my head after watching the tournament for thirty years or more on television generally flood me when the event approaches.  Some years the tournament is a bit of a snoozer, but it usually satisfies that atavistic hunger for spring golf.  I also love the US Open because it is incredibly demanding and there is a bit of variety in the courses.  Sometimes the USGA goes over the top, but I do like to see the professionals struggle to attain a worthy prize.  Then there is the Open Championship.  Truthfully, there is nothing like it in my mind.  From the blurry images from the crane cameras that sway in the breeze to the fickle rolls and bounces of the golf ball to the nutty bunkers to the cruel burns to the respectful and lusty crowds, the Open Championship is pure magic.

After the Open Championship is done, I'm done with the majors.  I'm like a kid who has finished the container of ice cream.  I'm sated and it's time to move on to other pursuits.  Sure, I'll watch the PGA, but unless I'm really interested in the golf course, I don't usually get hooked.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »
I'm curious...

How much does strength of field come into play for people liking or disliking certain Majors?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
I'm curious...

How much does strength of field come into play for people liking or disliking certain Majors?

They all have the top 50 players give or take so strength of field is a wash in my opinion.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 10:53:01 AM »
It seems that every major has its own role. 
Are we all agreed that the role of the PGA Championship is to be the least amongst equals?  Whilst I've seen arguments for each of the Masters, the US Open and the Open as the "best" Major, no-one has ever suggested that the PGA is.  For me the Open is the best because of the links courses.  It's the only Major played on the purest of golfing ground.

The Masters is a spectators spectacular. However, it does not qualify very well as a major. It lacks the quality field. A major should not be classified on emotion, but on reason.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »
Are we all agreed that the role of the PGA Championship is to be the least amongst equals?  Whilst I've seen arguments for each of the Masters, the US Open and the Open as the "best" Major, no-one has ever suggested that the PGA is.  For me the Open is the best because of the links courses.  It's the only Major played on the purest of golfing ground.

The Masters is a spectators spectacular. However, it does not qualify very well as a major. It lacks the quality field. A major should not be classified on emotion, but on reason.

Garland.......I did not know your PhD was in Philosophy.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 11:00:56 AM »

Garland.......I did not know your PhD was in Philosophy.

Anthony

Anthony,

All PhDs are in philosophy. All MDs are in medicine. Is this another one of your spelling problems cropping up?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back