News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Waterwood National - Now Closed
« on: May 18, 2009, 02:59:57 PM »
I received this email today from the folks at Waterwood National...

"Dear loyal Golfers Effective immediatly, 7AM 5/18/2009, Waterwood is closed. There is no reopen date, all tee-times are canceled along with any events. Sorry for the inconvenience, If we re-open we will make an announcement.

Waterwood Managment "

There was quite a crew at this course in the early days.  It will be missed...

Pat Burke

Re: Waterwood National - Now Closed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:55:47 PM »
That is really sad.  Another post I am certain we will see a lot more of unfortunately.
Played Waterwood in the NCAA D2 finals 20+ years ago (won by Hugh RoyerIII)
Was an absolute bear of a course.
My older brother qualified for the TOUR at Waterwood the same year as Sutton (1980 maybe)
Sorry to hear it closed :'(

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
This is very sad I played this in 1988, I thought it was a great course. I never thought about it at the time too much but we were pretty much the only pair on the course and we got a courtesy. I guess the location played a big part. Sad about this one.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »
bummer
thanks for posting
i sure did intend to go a bunch of times....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »
Damn. Like Mike, this was on my list for a few years and I never got around to it.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
For Texas, it is a very scenic course, but much too penal for my taste.  The Tour qualifier set the course at considerably shorter lengths (I think John Cook burned it up one year), but it still had too many blow-up holes.  Location has been a problem since day one, but I think that many golfers just didn't like getting beat up.  I've taken a few friends out there and could not get them to go back.  I am just guessing, but an average 18 handicapper would have a hard time submitting a legitimate score, and it probably wouldn't be within 10 strokes of his handicap.

Trey Stiles

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »
I've had the pleasure of playing WW many times in the last few years with the head of the mgt. co. ( Matt Landreau ) .... Matt is a great guy who LOVES GCA and the traditions of the game ... Matt and his team did a nice job bringing WW back from near death in 2000 , but it's been a struggle the last few years.

The old , beat you up WW had been softened quite a bit into a very playable and fun course that could yield some very low scores ( provided you avoided the blow ups and had a sharp short game )

It's a shame that it's going to sleep , let's hope a group can pick up the assets , and resurrect what remains.

Thanks to the developer who fed WW the last few years and allowed me to enjoy it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back