News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Feature Interview with Doug Carrick is posted
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:10:24 PM »
Doug Carrick represents the fifth architect that we have interviewed in as many months this year. The posting his Feature Interview couldn't come at a more opportune time as he was honored last week in becoming the head of the ASGCA.

His candid nature comes across in the interview and as always, you feel like you are getting a straight answer from the man. As evidenced by the eleven photographs in the interview, his body of work is quite diverse stylistically. Some of this is not a surprise as he has been in the business for over twenty years. Hence, he has been building courses from when massive earth shaping endeavors were in vogue through to the more minimalistic undertakings of today.

Recently while at Loch Lomond, I saw Carrick's newest eponymous course, which is located four miles south of the famed original Weiskopf design. This commission and Doug's recent appointment at the ASGCA are testaments to a career that has grown from a series of courses surrounding  Toronto to one of international prominence. As a fellow Canuck, we all wish him well.

Have you played one or several of his courses? Any favorites?

Garland Bayley

Re: Feature Interview with Doug Carrick is posted
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »
I actually read this while waiting for the Discussion group to come back from maintenance on Monday.

Good interview, great pics, add some more wanna play to the never ending list.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
Ben - thanks for that enjoyable read.  I'm glad to see Doug Carrick's name here -- first, because I like his work (I think he stands well above his Canadian counterparts) and second because he is one of the few name architects whose courses I've actually played (but even then, just those in the Toronto area).   I think of Carrick as an exceptionally good craftsman, and as an astute (but sincere) popularizer of classic principles and/or modern trends; he has what I'd call 'good taste'. I particularly like (and appreciate the relatively good value of) the Osprey Valley courses and Ballantrae, I think he did a fine job with the new 9 at Nobleton, and I have a real soft spot for Copper Creek, even if from what I've heard it's the poor relation to Eagles Nest. (I've also played King Valley, and the Angus Glen courses).  I hope to play Cobble Beach this summer -- once; I don't think I can/should play Eagles Nest, pocket-book wise. 

Peter

Adam_F_Collins

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:03:20 PM »
I have played a number of Carrick's courses in the Toronto area, and enjoyed the Osprey Valley Heathlands course the most. I've also played the Angus Glen courses and Copper Creek. Personally, after living in a region so heavily worked by one architect (Atlantic Canada/Graham Cooke), I was happy to explore the work of Carrick, and would like to see even more architects working in Canada.

Variety is the spice of life, and I find that a few architects in Canada get the vast majority of the work (others may see otherwise).

I'm glad to have Mr. Carrick's interview included here, as he is an important contributer to Canadian golf in particular.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 01:53:04 AM »
Great to see a member of Summit GC getting interviewed, never mind a fellow Canuck - thanks Ben! :)

I hope that course can implement his "master plan" some day . . .

I wonder if Carrick thinks that Toronto has too many golf courses ? For a city with a 6 to 8 month season, it is amazing that it has more courses per capita than any other city in North America.

It is always fun to read about how a trip to GBI heavily influences how any gca thinks about their trade, and a bit scary to think that some may never get over there. I enjoyed how much Carrick respected the opportunity to build a course in Scotland, he must have been overwhelmed and honored when they put his name on it.

henrye

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »
Good interview from an architect with a great collection of designs.  We’ve seen his work evolve over the years, but I haven’t found he has necessarily followed the trends of the times.  If the land didn’t quite fit his plan, he has had no problem sculpting it a bit to make it work.  Doug has always been a master at designing very “pretty” courses with terrific hole variety, sequencing and routings.  My one criticism would be that some of his courses just end up looking a bit too finished and “pretty”.  If he rumpled some fairways a little or let some “unplanned” stuff grow up or in a little, I think I might prefer some of his finished product.  My favourite works of his are easily the 3 Osprey courses.  We’re lucky to have him in our backyard.  I can’t help but wonder that if Stanley Thompson wasn’t still alive he would be designing in Doug’s mould.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back