News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: GolfClubAtlas.com is back .......
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »
Thank Goodness I was a lost man in Mississippi and near Ole Miss FGS for a while there.

Top100Guru

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:17 PM »
Nice Changes to the Site !!!

Ed Oden

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »
Did anyone else notice that there were about 3 hours worth of lost posts this afternoon?  All posts from just after noon to about 3:30 pm eastern seem to have evaporated.

Steve Lang

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2009, 11:40:38 PM »
 8)  Great to see the site back with the tech improvements!!!  everything should go longer and straighter..

I was worried that that last Merion thread had crashed the whole thing...  ::) ::) ::) :o

Thanks Ran & Ben for your continued attention..

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2009, 02:47:15 AM »
Did anyone else notice that there were about 3 hours worth of lost posts this afternoon?  All posts from just after noon to about 3:30 pm eastern seem to have evaporated.

Happened agian last night.  A few of us added a couple of posts to "Marty's" Dundee Colt thread and this morning theyv'e all gone and it's midway down page 2.

Also can't get past the cover page unless you select a recent post to click on?

Teething problems.  Let me suggest we all need to visit the Contributions page as this must be costing the moderators money and they clearly have a few bills yet to settle.   ;)

Much improved graphics.  (Faux wood on a computer screen never worked for me.)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2009, 06:11:34 AM »
Search not working for me. Has that been covered?
If it is just me, any chance of someone pasting a link to Sean Arble's recent St Enodoc thread in here?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2009, 08:06:20 AM »

Same problem...click on Golf Course Architecture to get to the discussion forum and most of the time does not work.  Are others experiencing this problem?

PCCraig

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »

Same problem...click on Golf Course Architecture to get to the discussion forum and most of the time does not work.  Are others experiencing this problem?

Same issue here as well.
H.P.S.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2009, 08:53:19 AM »

[/quote]

In my case, it seems to work most of the time, but it certainly does not work all of the time.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
same problem here as well...

Scott Warren

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »
Interesting. When I come to the page as a guest in Internet Explorer and click on the forum, it shows me the whole lot. In Firefox, it just repeats the recent threads page. Log in in IE and it does the same. Curious...

Philip Spogard

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »
I have the same problem with not being able to see all the posts.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »
We are working to rectify this!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »
We are working to rectify this!

Thank you.  Your hard work does not go unnoticed and is most appreciated.

Phil McDade

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
In the spirit of this Discussion Board, which at its best has always respected honest and vigorous debate.....

Nearly a month after the redesign, I'm not convinced it has made GCA a better website, either to use or to navigate. In fact, several parts of the redesign have made the website noticeably less user-friendly.

Some of the elements of the redesign are arguably superficial, and open to differences in taste. For instance, I find the pink/salmon motif off-putting, not nearly as attractive as the rich, brown hues of the prevision site. The typefaces used for the various sections are skinny and light, not bold, and thus don't stand out.

But other concerns are more substantial:

-- The stark white background is like a good song on radio turned up too loud. It's not enough to turn me away from the site, but it's bothersome -- just too bright.

-- The In My Opinion is organized alphabetically by author, instead of a different way, such as by topic or course. That may be fine for GCA veterans (for instance, I know if I want to learn more about Olympia Fields, I just go to Terry Lavin's piece, because I know from the Discussion Board that no one knows that course better than him). But I wonder about folks like...me, who happened upon this website accidently, looking for information about a particular course (Machrihansih), and found a rich trove of stuff -- the richest trove I've yet seen on the Web -- about golf architecture. Yes, I know the subject is right next to the author's name -- but that seems to me a poor way to organize some of the very best information on this site (those who know courses most intimately). It seems organized for those of us who participate and look at GCA frequently, as opposed to those outside the GCA community who may simply be interested in learning more about a particular course or architectural subject.

-- The Courses by Country section is missing the "next page" links for those articles (frequently, the newer ones, because they have more photos) at the end of the first page. True, the second part of such articles is now on the side, but again, that's much less user-friendly than the previous site.

-- The Feature Interviews simply list authors by date; with such a significant redesign, I had hoped these could be organized with a clearer link to the author's subject matter. For instance, I refer frequently to George Bahto's descriptions of Macdonald/Raynor template holes. I can find it easily because, as a GCA veteran, I know that George's article is definitive. For the casual or first-time visitor to GCA, the Feature Interview list has no context -- again, well-known to the website veteran, but not to someone who has first come across a template hole like a Redan and wanted to learn more about it.

-- The Discussion Group posts are differentiated by thin lines, instead of the boxes in the previous site. The new look is disjointed; it's often hard to distinguish between the comments of the poster, the tag lines often associated with such posters, and the next posting. The previous boxes made such elements -- including the reply/modify/quote buttons -- much easier to find and use.

-- Most disconcertingly, the Discussion Group threads now feature a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of individual posts, as opposed to the bottom of the page (noted by Ed Oden in reply #60 of this thread). This is perhaps the most nonn-user-friendly aspect of the new design. I find myself drawn more often to photo threads than any other subject on the Discussion Board; collectively, they are an incredibly rich and fascinating look into golf architecture, reaffirming Tom Paul's big-world theory of golf design. More often than not, the photos in such threads are best viewed big and wide -- for all the focus we often have on GCA about length, golf design and architecture is most interesting (to me) by looking at its width. The Discussion Board website format ought to do everything it can to promote big and wide photos, not some of the truncated ones we've seen with the redesign (Rich Hetzels' terrific Waterbury thread comes immediately to mind -- think of how much better his photos of a great old course would like big and wide, instead of the boxes used in this thread: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,39795.0.html

As many have said better than I, Ran and Ben deserve our collective thanks for hosting such a site, and maintaining its very high standards for content and debate. As Shivas has pointed out, it remains -- by far -- the best source on the Web for insights into golf architecture and its history, as well as passionate and insightful debate about it. And contrary to some here, I think the Discussion Board (after its annual winter lull) has had a very good run of threads lately -- several terrific photo essays from all points of the world (Notts, Austrailia, New England), solid debates on topics such as about fairway width and the relative merits of Tillinghast par 3s, and wonderful stories like the Ferris Wheel and Pine Valley.

I hope some elements of the redesign can be re-thought, to make the look and utility of the site as good as the content it contains.

Ed Oden

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Phil, some really good points that I hope Ran and Ben will take in the spirit in which they are given.  While I agree with many of your thoughts, at the end of the day, the only one that truly bothers me is the inability to view large pictures.  I can't imagine that anyone feels this is a change for the good.  So I would hope that it can be fixed if possible.

One thing I find curious is that when I pull up the DG on my Blackberry using the Opera Mini browser (which, in my opinion, is far superior to the Backberry browser), it has shading similar to the old site, including shading of every other post.  So it seems the new site has capabilities beyond the Wimbledon look.

Ed

Joe Bausch

« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2009, 07:41:30 AM »
Phil, some really good points that I hope Ran and Ben will take in the spirit in which they are given.  While I agree with many of your thoughts, at the end of the day, the only one that truly bothers me is the inability to view large pictures.  I can't imagine that anyone feels this is a change for the good.  So I would hope that it can be fixed if possible.

I must echo these thoughts.  I prefer to host my photos on my own server and have them viewed 16x9 format at 1200 or 1400 pixels wide.  My experience is that many people have widescreen monitors now with 1600 pixels or more width, hence the wider format is easily accommodated.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:08:09 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2009, 12:49:16 PM »
Hope Ben and Ran don't mind what is commonly called constructive criticism.  I am finding it difficult to read the print against the stark white background.  In fact, I am reading it less than in the past.  Maybe that's a good thing ;)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
In my eyes the actual content almost disappears visually. Just look at the posting one above mine. The interesting part (the human contribution) takes up maybe 5-10% of the area that the whole posting uses. The rest is either completely blank space or automatically generated meta information and technical functions, which may be interesting at times, but certainly not all the time.

I think the value of the forum are the user contributions and they should be given more room. As it is, 90% of the forum as measured in screen real estate, is fill. And that does not even include the Merion threads :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

paul cowley

« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2009, 12:19:49 AM »
....the whiteness of the background is killing me....italics are hard to read....things seem too small and not as soothing....I've fallen down and can't get up........
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

paul cowley

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2009, 12:29:50 AM »
....I used to be able to stare blankly at the screen for hours....now I get a headache and fall out of my chair....O God it just happened again...I'm considering a lawsuit.......
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2009, 12:42:30 AM »
Without sounding like a whinging bitching Aussie is it possible for all the personal sigs to be created in another colour (color) so its easier to distinguish from the main body of the posts ?

Cheers

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2009, 03:29:51 AM »
Better yet, get rid of them entirely, they add nothing to the intelligence of this site :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back