News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Re: GolfClubAtlas.com is back .......
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
The bright white background is a bit tough on the eyes, I might have to wear shades now ...  8)  8)  8)  8)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Ash Towe

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2009, 11:39:11 PM »
Thanks Ran and Ben.
I too really like the logo.
It is great to have the site back.  I did not realise quite how much I enjoyed it till it was not there.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2009, 12:16:45 AM »
I like the member list. Now I know that there are 5 Charlies/Charleses and 1,246 Toms on this site.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ron Farris

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2009, 12:31:38 AM »
Glad to see the site up and running again.  For a while I thought I had been kicked out.
Looks great and I look forward to all of the great threads and posts.

Emmy

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2009, 12:59:56 AM »
Dear Ran and Ben,

Wow! Congratulations on the new site.

To Your Good Work,

Emmy

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2009, 01:01:29 AM »
Very nice renovation on a classic site.

Did you first consult anyone about doing a historical restoration???  ;D ;D ;D
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Ben Sims

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »
Thanks Ran and Ben.  The site looks updated and functional.  I look forward to continuing my rampant participation. 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2009, 05:47:11 AM »
Man - I've been suffering from withdrawal symptons..... 8)

Great work  - Ran & Ben - nice to see the Aussie flag flying high (pity about those Kiwis)  ;D

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2009, 07:08:19 AM »
Thanks Ran & Ben. The wait has been worth it. The new appearance is great!

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matt Varney

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
Ran & Ben,

The New Golf Club Atlas looks great.  I have only found one thing and it was under Architecture Timeline when you click on course profiles by architect some are not Continued >> to the next page they just stop.  Other course profiles are perfect yet I remember reading some that I liked and when you get to the bottom of the first page the content just stops.

Very clean modern web 2.0 design and easy to use so congrats on all your hard work with the new look GCA!

Matt

Ed Oden

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »
One question, at least on my screen, larger photos are now being cut off on the right side.  Is anyone else seeing the same thing?  Is that just a setting I can change?

I figured this out.  The slide which allows movement left/right is now at the bottom of individual posts instead of at the bottom of your screen page as was the case previously.  So its a bit harder to view some of the photo essays with multiple large pictures (i.e., 1024 x 768) in a single post since you can't view the whole picture by adjusting the slide view to fit your screen.  Rather, you now need to go back and forth between the slide at the bottom of the post and the picture you are trying to view in order to see the right side of the photo which is cut off without adjustment.  Not a big deal, but also not ideal in my opinion.  Interestingly, if you go to your profile and click to view your own posts, the slide is back at the bottom of the page instead of at the bottom of individual posts, allowing you to see the whole photo as before.  But, obviously, this only works for your own posts.

Ed

Mike Wagner

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 11:47:48 AM »
Outstanding, Ran and Ben!  Thanks for all your efforts!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »
Ran,

All of the text doesn't fit onto my screen.

Is it possible to compress the posts so that they can be viewed without having to scroll left and right ?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
Ran,

All of the text doesn't fit onto my screen.

Is it possible to compress the posts so that they can be viewed without having to scroll left and right ?

Pat,

If you are using Firefox, you are able to zoom the page with Ctrl + or Ctrl - as needed.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
I  do miss the rich veneer of the old wood paneling. I also agree with Mike that the all white requires shades. 8)  The text size of the bottom quotes and the lack of a strong difference of colored reply blocks make it hard to know where each post starts and stops. But that's OK, since I'm not the brighest bulb in the circuit anyway. :o
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:34:40 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Kenny Baer

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »
Looks Great

Ray Richard

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2009, 07:54:37 AM »
Love the new look!

The breadcrumbs (sequential links below the content bar) really help site navigation.

A tech question. Some of us write in Word, then cut and paste to the site. This works nicely but a bunch of useless Word code is imported to the server. Writing in a text editor like Notepad will eliminate this extra code. Is this a better option for cut n' pasters?

Anthony Butler

Wordpress
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Good to see that Ran and Golf Club Atlas have joined the WordPress world. Having just completed two sites using WordPress, it offers great functionality for the non-technical... also phenomenal content management capability.

Anyone who needs a site for their business without the usual dramas of working with developers etc.. should really investigate this platform. It is being used by many companies who could easily afford their own content management system. (WordPress is 'freeware' i.e. no license fees.)

Investing in WordPress (the company) is probably the best move the New York Times have made this millennium.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:11:58 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
Thanks for all the effort involved - much appreciated.

Wiith regards well intentioned feedback could I second both of the comments below.

I also agree with Mike that the all white requires shades. 8)  The text size of the bottom quotes and the lack of a strong difference of colored reply blocks make it hard to know where each post starts and stops.

Cheers - Lyne

Dave_Miller

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
...and better than ever!

From the Discussion Group to the new Golf & Travel section, everything has been upgraded and enjoys a fresh re-design (hopefully, you'll agree this isn't some classic course restoration that turned into a renovation that turned into a hack job). All your Discussion Group details remain the same and you should find the functionality of the site to be greatly improved, from the search engine to being able to print. Another benefit is that Ben and I now have much greater control of the statistics of the site. Later today, Ben is going to post some of the funnier ones.

One big change that occurred is behind the scenes and it allows Ben and me to post large In My Opinion pieces at a fraction of the time. We have some great ones to post in the next thirty days too from Bob Crosby, Phil Young and Chris Clouser/Jay Flemma. Another change is that The My Home Course section rolled up under In My Opinion so that talented writers like Matthew Mollica remain encouraged to post profiles on courses like Titirangi (despite it not being his home course).

We are still adding in some new text (for instance in the sections on Josh Smith's paintings and David Scaletti's photographs) but we wanted to get the Hindenburg off the ground in the timeframe that we stated. We will work through any little kinks in the days ahead.

As always, we all owe a tremendous thanks to Chris and Dave at SiteSuite in Australia as without them, this site wouldn't likely exist. When I retire down there (or am forced to flee back there under the cloak of darkness  8), which ever comes first), we will no doubt transition the site back to their platform.

In the meanwhile, here we are. The transition went smoothly thanks to the patient folks at ConnectNC one mile from the GolfClubAtlas campus ;). There is a HUGE amount of material on GolfClubAtlas.com and we intend to maximize our web presence in search functions now that the site enjoys a professional standard. As always, we hope that everyone will continue to add to the wealth of information already here as we are confident that GolfClubAtlas.com is the best medium to reach the largest number of people around the globe who are interested in golf course architecture.

Cheers,

Ran & Ben

Thank you Ran and Ben.  The site looks great.  Keep up the good work.
Fairways and Greens
Dave

Sean_A

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2009, 05:26:25 PM »
Question - How do I change the font and increase its size.  I can't read the quoted text as its very small and blurry.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Joe Bausch

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »
Question - How do I change the font and increase its size.  I can't read the quoted text as its very small and blurry.

Ciao

It can be done with some keystrokes.  On a Mac the command for increasing the font size is Apple-shift-+ (and minus to go smaller).

The equivalent keystrokes likely works on the computers for 95% of the world.   ;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
One question, at least on my screen, larger photos are now being cut off on the right side.  Is anyone else seeing the same thing?  Is that just a setting I can change?

I figured this out.  The slide which allows movement left/right is now at the bottom of individual posts instead of at the bottom of your screen page as was the case previously.  So its a bit harder to view some of the photo essays with multiple large pictures (i.e., 1024 x 768) in a single post since you can't view the whole picture by adjusting the slide view to fit your screen.  Rather, you now need to go back and forth between the slide at the bottom of the post and the picture you are trying to view in order to see the right side of the photo which is cut off without adjustment.  Not a big deal, but also not ideal in my opinion.  Interestingly, if you go to your profile and click to view your own posts, the slide is back at the bottom of the page instead of at the bottom of individual posts, allowing you to see the whole photo as before.  But, obviously, this only works for your own posts.

Ed

Ed

There must be some setting because there are thousands of pix posted which are reasonably large.  I can't find it though.  When I use the horizontal scroll bar to centre the pix the text goes missing on the left.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jed Peters

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2009, 11:33:37 AM »

The equivalent keystrokes likely works on the computers for 95% of the world.   ;D

Those people don't matter. They're becoming largely forgotten as time passes....

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
WOW!!!  Fantastic... congratulations on the redesign.  It's top-notch!!!

WWJr.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back