News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Shivas in the Western Amateur
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
Shivas played in a ton of Westerns, so I will use him as my guinea pig. Lets say that he qualified for the match play. Wouldn't surprise anybody, right? In the first round, Shivas wins his match quite easily on Wednesday. At the hotel on Wednesday night, while looking up cheater lines, he discovers that he broke a rule during the STROKE PLAY qualifying. So, he has beaten someone and they are on their way home and now has another match. Obviously, he wants to correct his error. Does the committee call the guy he beat? Do they tell Shivas to play because it is too late? What happens??

Bob_Huntley

Re: Shivas in the Western Amateur
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »
Who cares?

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
I do. Of the rules questions asked on here, you pick this one to write that? I am asking a question about a situation that could very easily come up at a tournament.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »
Okay, he's DQ'd so his second round match play opponent wins and Shivas goes back to pondering the cheater line.  Could there be any other outcome?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »
If you read my question, I am asking that, do they call the guy he beat? Once the match play field is set, is the stroke play then thrown away and he is not forced to withdraw? It is such a reasonable question.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »
My immediate reaction is that the guy he beat is most likely gone.  Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:48:15 PM »
Well, I wasn't looking to be mocked for asking a genuine question. I highly doubt it is as simple as you make it out to be. I guess I was looking for some discussion, thoughts or the real answer from someone who knows definitively. Is a message board that I have participated on for nearly four years the wrong place to do that?

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 11:48:35 PM »
Sometimes it helps to read a rule book when you have a question about the rulees:

34-1. Claims and Penalties

b. Stroke Play

In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced or, in stroke-play qualifying followed by match play, when the player has teed off in his first match.

"We finally beat Medicare. "

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »
Thank you, John. I should have, I thought in this case, it could be a situation where local rules came into play. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »
Glenn,
What happens is that the next guy he would have been playing gets to sleep in.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 12:02:24 AM »
Jim,

Read John's post. That isn't what happens. Stroke play qualifying is a completely different tournament in essence.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
I think all you have to do is ask Dave, then get back to me.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:19:48 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 12:25:04 AM »
.....and even if he didn't do the honorable thing and withdraw there are four exceptions that would earn him the DQ, and he could have discovered, while sitting in his hotel room, that he broke # 1 or # 3.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:26:49 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 12:33:32 AM »
Well, another reason I wanted to talk about the dynamics of the situation. Is withdrawing the honorable thing to do or not? The rule book says you can keep playing, is it fair to the rest of the field to give that guy a round off? Only 16 make the match play in the Western, could make a difference. I don't think I would blame Shivas if he kept playing.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:37:33 PM »
Glenn,
You can see by Dave's reply that he is an honest fellow.  ;) :)

I don't know how many people would 'blame' the theoretical 'Dave' for continuing (that's if he didn't run afoul of the exceptions), but each of us make our own decisions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back