News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

The power of Mother Nature( pics)
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »
We had 2 pop up thunderstorms here this afternoon, the same one that collapsed the Dallas Cowboys practice facility. Here of some pics of the amazing amount of water that is flowing through the golf course.

#16 green

#18 Fairway

#16 Green (again)

#17 Fairway

Tony Nysse
Asst Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:25:08 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill_McBride

Re: The power of Mother Nature( pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:30:08 PM »
Tony, when is the tournament?  Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.  >:(

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:52:29 PM »
Bill,
  4 weeks from Monday...We'll be okay... :)

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »
What's going to be the hardest part?  Rebuilding bunkers?  Is the entire course under water or just the area of the photos?  Good luck to you guys!

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
Looks like you would need a boat just to get from the tee to green on most holes.

It would be interesting to hear how you would help the course recover prior to the tournament.
H.P.S.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »
Bill,
  There will just be alot of trash on the golf course. about 35% of #1 #2, #6 fairways were under water along with #17 and #18. If we dont get rain tomorrow, it will just be alot of cleanup. Colonial is located in a residential area, therefore the golf course receives all the runoff prior to getting to the Trinity RIver, which is a main water source for Ft. Worth, so the course is a huge water shed.  Not including the bunkers that were 80% filled with water, (About 12) I only saw 1 bunker where the sand came off the face-A testament to SANDMAT! Last year, every bunker would have been washed out and needed to be pumped out, about a 3 day process. We have more rain coming tonight. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »
Bill,
  There will just be alot of trash on the golf course. about 35% of #1 #2, #6 fairways were under water along with #17 and #18. If we dont get rain tomorrow, it will just be alot of cleanup. Colonial is located in a residential area, therefore the golf course receives all the runoff prior to getting to the Trinity RIver, which is a main water source for Ft. Worth, so the course is a huge water shed.  Not including the bunkers that were 80% filled with water, (About 12) I only saw 1 bunker where the sand came off the face-A testament to SANDMAT! Last year, every bunker would have been washed out and needed to be pumped out, about a 3 day process. We have more rain coming tonight. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Tony, are those bunkers grass or sand faced?  (I haven't been to Colonial)  I'll bet our GCAers would love to hear more about SANDMAT, sounds like a great system if it saves those bunkers.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:19:57 PM »
good luck Tony!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »
Bill,

Tony, are those bunkers grass or sand faced?  (I haven't been to Colonial)  I'll bet our GCAers would love to hear more about SANDMAT, sounds like a great system if it saves those bunkers.
  Bill,
  THe bunkers are sandfaced and SANDMAT is a life saver. In years past, anything over .4" of rain and every bunker on the property would be washed out, have to be pumped dry and banks pushed up. A 6-8 person crew would usually have all the bunker completed in 2.5 days, 3-4 days until they were playable again. This was the hardest that it has rained since they were installed last summer and we dont even worry about it now. Pricey? Yes, but over time, it will more than pay for itself, especially with the typical Texas pop up thunderstorms.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »
Tony, so how long did it take the fw's to drain? 
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Emil Weber

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 03:28:05 AM »
 :-\

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »
Jeff,
  The rain stopped early on Saturday night and we were able to run carts on Monday for the Cooks Childrens Hospital Event.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 12:06:02 AM »
Bill,

Bill,
  THe bunkers are sandfaced and SANDMAT is a life saver. In years past, anything over .4" of rain and every bunker on the property would be washed out, have to be pumped dry and banks pushed up. A 6-8 person crew would usually have all the bunker completed in 2.5 days, 3-4 days until they were playable again. This was the hardest that it has rained since they were installed last summer and we dont even worry about it now. Pricey? Yes, but over time, it will more than pay for itself, especially with the typical Texas pop up thunderstorms.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Tony, SANDMAT sounds like a great investment.  With sand-faced bunkers you'd still be repairing them otherwise.  Great stuff, and glad to hear you are back in business.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back