News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Rounds 4 Research - Auction A Great Success!!!
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:44:37 AM »
I know a lot of you guys are always looking for ways to play some of the best courses in the country.

Well, here is an opportunity that I think you can sink your teeth into... the Rounds 4 Research auction to benefit turf grass research.

Created by the Carolinas Golf Course Superintendents Association, Rounds 4 Research allows golfers to bid on foursomes and golf packages at some of the best courses and resorts in the Carolinas. All proceeds from this auction benefit the turf grass research programs at Clemson University and North Carolina State University.

The auction begins April 19 so bookmark the link for future reference.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.rounds4research.com/index.shtml

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:48:15 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Eric Smith

Re: Rounds 4 Research - play some of the Carolinas best courses!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
Michael - that list has grown since I last saw it -  tons of great golf in there.

Thanks for the update.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Rounds 4 Research - play some of the Carolinas best courses!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
It's a very impressive list that includes great SC courses such as:

Belfair
Caledonia
Chechessee Creek
Cliffs Communities
Colleton River
The Dunes
Chanticleer
Harbour Town
Long Cove
May River
Palmetto
Sage Valley
Secession
Old Tabby (Spring Island)
True Blue
Wild Dunes (with rebuilt 18th hole!!!)
Yeamans Hall

and, of course... Wicked Stick, a John Daly Signature design!  ;D ;D ;D

The NC list is every bit as impressive.

This is a great idea to raise funds for research.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

Re: Rounds 4 Research - Auction Now Open!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
BUMP

Auction opened today!

Good luck to those of you who are bidding!!!

Morgan Stephenson

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:11:23 PM »
Michael thanks for posting this. This is a great idea that is the brainchild of Tim Kreger, future executive director of our association. Given the economic situation that we are in and budgets at universities being cut left and right,this seems like a win/win. I hope people will take advantage of this and help support this.

Morgan Stephenson
Tobacco Road Golf Club

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »
Morgan - Great to connect with you on GCA.com! Tim actually thought about this idea a couple of years ago when he was with the South Carolina Golf Association, but never had the chance to implement it. You guys got a great catch when you hired him to take over for Chuck.

By the way... I am visiting your area August 13-16 as part of a group of 24:  12 from Greenville, SC & 12 from Michigan. We are playing 36 holes at your course one day of a four-day death match. I would think "hydration" would be the word of the day in August!!! I hope we catch Tobacco Road in good shape! ;D

"Rounds 4 Research" is a great idea and should be an outstanding success. The number of clubs & courses that are participating is staggering and has exceeded everyone's expectations.

To all GCA.com participants: bid generously... and often!!!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:22:00 AM by Michael Whitaker »

Morgan Stephenson

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
Michael, Look forward to your group being here in August. As for the condition, August can be a tough time of year but you know we'll do our best! :) Thanks again and let the bidding begin!

Michael Whitaker

Re: Rounds 4 Research - Auction Now Open - Great Bargains To Be Had!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
Dear Traveling Golfers...

There are some great bargains to be had at the Rounds4Research.com auction!!!

For example, here are some current bids that seem low to me (all are golf for 4 players):

Pinehurst #2  $600
Yeamans Hall  $550
Harbour Town  $400
May River  $375
Palmetto  $350
Old Tabby  $300
Chechessee Creek  $300
Caledonia  $275
Pine Needles  $225
Champion Hills  $225
Tobacco Road  $0 !!!
Mid Pines  $0 !!!
Doral Blue Monster  $0 !!!

Here is a direct link to the list of courses on offer:
http://rounds4research.com/courses.shtml

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
Some great courses on that list that can be made into a great buddies trip.
Not sure those bids will stay that low but if they do it's a homerun for the winner. If anyone on the board wants to maybe meet up for a long weekend or something , place some bids and see what happens let me know I'm game to try .

Brad

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
Doral seems to be priced about right.

Some of the others are worth a bid though. Thanks for the update.

Mark Pritchett

I was curious if anyone here "won" any of the auctions.  Looks like it was a huge success. 

I noticed a foursome for Sage Valley netted $2,600. 

Michael Whitaker

Thanks to everyone who participated in the auction! The event will net over $55,000 for turfgrass research. Here is the official press release on the results:

Auction Delivers $55,000 Insurance for $5-billion Carolinas Golf Industry

An innovative online auction has just delivered what amounts to a $55,000 insurance policy for the $5-billion a year golf industry in the Carolinas. More than 300 foursomes at courses across North and South Carolina and beyond went under the virtual hammer in the first Rounds4Research.com auction which finished yesterday (May 6).

Golfers from across the country bid for just over two weeks coinciding with nationally televised PGA Tour tournaments in Hilton Head, SC and Charlotte, NC. Proceeds will benefit turfgrass research at Clemson and North Carolina state universities at a time when traditional funding sources are drying up because of the current economic crisis.

“Golf is critical to the economic health of our region. It provides jobs and recreation and brings in out-of-state dollars through tourism,” Paul Jett, president of the Carolinas Golf Course Superintendents Association which ran the auction, said.

“All of that would be at risk if we were to lose any of the expertise of turfgrass researchers at Clemson and NC State. Their work has a lot to do with the excellent reputation that Carolinas golf enjoys throughout the U.S.”

Jett, who has hosted two U.S. Open Championships at Pinehurst No. 2, said researchers not only helped superintendents combat threats from disease and pests but also developed knowledge behind more efficient maintenance practices. Both the United States Golf Association and the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America have frozen research funding this year.

“In times like this it’s easy to get beaten down by all the negative news. But we are committed to being part of the solution for golf and for our states. Whether that’s raising money to support our colleges or improving our water conservation,” Jett said.

Rounds were donated by clubs and courses in the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi, Bermuda and the Dominican Republic. Two lots each attracted the auction’s highest bid of $2,600.

Carolinas GCSA programs director, Tim Kreger, said there were multiple ancillary benefits to the project, which was his brainchild.

“We had tens of thousands of hits on our Rounds4Research website which told the story of how much golf means to the economies of both Carolinas. Hopefully there are a lot more golfers out there now who feel better about their game because of that,” he said.

“And when you think about all the golf course owners, managers, private club boards and members who took a look at this project and decided to take part, that’s hundreds and hundreds more people who want to solve a challenge, not wait for someone else to do it. And this was just year one.”

CJ Carder

Re: Rounds 4 Research - Auction A Great Success!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm very excited about this - I picked up 3 terrific courses in the auction.  As I play them later this year, I'll post plenty of pics and thoughts.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
CJ - Good for you!!! The group of local Greenville, SC golfer that I play with regularly pooled our resources and were successful with four bids... nothing outstanding mind you, but good golf at a good price... and, the money went to an outstanding cause.

What is the farthest distance from the Carolinas that someone placed a bid?  Were you successful?

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
There was a very nasty individual that seemed presistant on outbidding me for the Greenville CC Chanticleer lot. It's ok though because I drove up the price for a good cause.  I wished more of these things happened.  It's good for the cause and it allows people to play courses otherwise they wouldn't be able too.

Lawrence

Jon Heise

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Im pretty bummed, I'd been watching these auctions since they started, had a couple of courses on my radar.  Log on Thursday just to remember that it ended on Wed.  Dammit.  There's always next year...  I hope.
I still like Greywalls better.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back