News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

The Three Ws
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:05:19 AM »
For those familiar with the courses, which order would you rank the three?

Day tickets at each are about £75-£95 (Worplesdon's most expensive, Woking's cheapest), so I am planning to hit at least two of the three in the next few months.

Where should I start? And what would your 10-Round Split be?

Wingmen always appreciated, if anyone wants to join me ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:20:34 AM by Scott Warren »

Tom_Doak

Re: The Three Ws
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »
Woking 5, Worplesdon 3, West Hill 2. 

But, I have to disclaim that I never did play West Hill, only walked it a couple of times.  And if your handicap is under 8, you might dismiss Woking as too short and quirky, and prefer the other two instead.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
Lucky I'm only off 9 then ;D

Thanks, as always.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:29:01 PM »
Tom D

Woking has added length on many holes and is less of a pushover.

Scott I haven't played West Hill but for me Woking wins nearly every time.  If you are big on conditioning it might be a different story as Worplesdon is usually in great shape.  Although Woking's heather regeneration program is yielding excellent results.

Worplesdon has some very memorable holes and the 1st is one of the most-inviting in London.

But Woking hangs together so nicely!  Also, I think Woking is a course better appreciated with successive rounds.  You'll get far more by playing three rounds at Woking than I think you will by playing, say two rounds at Woking and one at Worp.

So: Woking 8, Worp 2.

Man, do I miss playing Woking...

Mark

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
Well, Woking is one of my favourite courses anywhere.  Though I can't tell you why its better than the other two Ws so it likely isn't any better - I just prefer it.  Thinking about it, its probably down to the par 4s and the fact that Woking has 3 that are drivable - which is always fun.  But Worplesdon has the best par 5 of any of the three, #12 as part of the secret garden across the road and its par 3s are just as good as Woking's.  I would probably go 5 Woking, 3 Worplesdon, 2 West Hill, but I haven't seen West Hill in may years.  Even though I really like Woking I have decided, after much thought, that I don't like the back to back par 5s at all - its a real let down. 

If you are looking for someone to join you at Woking or West Hill, give me a shout.

Ciao     
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »
Scott,

I'm sure you'll like Woking.

I played the other 2 about 8 or 9 years ago. I liked them both & would be happy if I had to play them on a regular basis. That being said, I love Woking.

Because I have played the other 2 the 10 round split would be:
Woking 10, Worplesdon 0, West Hill 0

...but the other 2 are worth playing, so if I hadn't played them all the split would be:
Woking 8, Worplesdon 1, West Hill 1

P.S. Don't forget to inform Sean how fairway couch grass plays in seaside locations in Australia & how suitable it would be for a Links course  ;)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:40:44 PM »
I played them in 2007 and enjoyed Woking the most followed closely by Worplesdon. If you have another day in the area you might consider New Zealand.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 03:08:01 AM »
Seems to be strong love for Woking, thanks for the insight, Mark, Sean and Andrew.

Stewart, I have another 18 months in the area, so NZ is definitely on the hitlist!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »
Scottt

I enjoyed all 3W's but I'd play Woking and Worplesdon again before West Hill. For mine WH - just is a class below the other two. I'd split it 5 to Woking / 4 to Worplesdon and 1 to WH.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 03:57:25 AM »
Scott,

Also keen to tag along if possible when you play any of them this summer.  I've only played Woking and that in the middle of winter but it's a gem.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 04:03:43 AM »
Played the member/guest yesterday at Worplesdon, as always the course was in fabulous condition and is improving immensely due to a huge tree removal programme that is opening up the course. Anyone who hasn't played there in the last year would barely recognise the course.

With phase three to come Worplesdon promises to blow away the other 2Ws over the next few years.
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Nash

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 04:25:38 AM »
I have played all three courses over the past 5 years, most recently Woking at Christmas in the frost. All are very nice but I was always led to believe that Worplesdon was the best. Personally, I don't think there is much in it - all have some very, very nice holes. I think West Hill has a weak bit around the halfway hut - short par 4, short par 3 and then long par 4, that are squeezed round this house - it would be great to get rid of this and remodel these holes. West Hill has a very tough finishing hole, but is is very noisey next to the road. Woking is the most tranquil and away from the road - and has more feeling of space around the boundary (except maybe the last 3 holes) - which is something I always like. The par 5s and par 3 over the road at Worplesdon are really good.

I was looking forward to playing Woking again soon as I bought a voucher for one round for 2 people last year that expires at the end of May. Due to work I am not sure if I will be able to use it. The only possible date is the afternoon of Friday 21st. I would be happy to meet people up there on this date and someone can pay my friend (£35) who bought the other round and has now given up golf due to a severe case of the shanks!?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 04:33:10 AM »
Scott,

I would take Woking first, because of many of the reasons stated... All three are excellent...

However one reason not stated yet on this thread is that Woking has greens with an unusual amount of internal contour movement... they are very funky... the other two (like most older inland courses) have a lot less...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back