News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Re: Roddy Ranch GC - Antioch, CA
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »
Put me down with John Keenan on this.. that is...

It has been a couple of years since i was there but overall a nice course and the maintenance was good.

I tended to prefer Shadow Lakes, right next door.. what say you all?

And hell yes congrats Matt you competitive golf stud.   ;D

Shadow Lakes is one of the few courses that makes me feel claustraphobic from the houses that surround it. While Roddy has none. No comparison. Roddy gets the nod.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »
Shadow Lakes is one of the few courses that makes me feel claustraphobic from the houses that surround it. While Roddy has none. No comparison. Roddy gets the nod.

The houses really only come into play on 3, 8, 12, and 13 for someone spraying drives. Then again, my brother could probably find glass on 2/3 of the holes.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
Whoa... I've played plenty of courses that are far more claustrophia-inducing / condo canyon golf than Shadow Lakes.  I think Kyle has it right for the holes where houses are in play.  But claustrophobic?  That's quite an exaggeration as I see it.

But yes, Roddy does have none around it.  If houses surrounding a course trump all, then yes, Roddy gets the nod.  But man if Shadow Lakes makes one feel claustrophobic he must really freak out at Pasatiempo!

So.... back when I played Shadow a lot..even after all houses were in place... well, conditions were better than or at the very least equal to Roddy... and the golf holes themselves were more fun overall to play.I think the greens were overall more interesting at Shadow and there were overall just plain more fun shots to be had.

Of course it's all changed now, as reported.

TH
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:42:59 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Benham

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
Roddy is always on the short list of Bay-Area-except-for-Mike-Benham courses that drain well...when most of the Bay Area courses are wet bogs, Roddy is OK.

It should be, it gets half the annual rainfall of the courses that are on your rota ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott Henderson

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »
I thought this thread was about Roddy Ranch, not Shadow Lakes  ???

I have to agree with most of what has been said here, although I have to say that I have seen some shots at Shadow Lakes bounce off of houses (mostly fences but a couple of roofs too).  I don't care how far away the houses are, someone will find a way to put them in play.  I saw one guy next to the fence on the top of the bank left of #12 taking a drop away from the fence!  (That is really off line and WAY up there!)

I really like Roddy because of the variety of the holes, the views, and the way it stays playable in wet conditions.  The only real problem I have with Roddy is the occasional windy day.  I have seen people's stand bags blow over - and not from a gust!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
Yeah, sorry Scott... it should be about Roddy.  As you might have read though, I have a bit of an attachment to Shadow Lakes, and they are right next to each other, so... oh well.

Roddy is worth a trip out there for sure.  SL used to be.... may it RIP (according to the accounts herein).

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back