News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Blind Opinions on a CA Municipal Course (pics)
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 08:47:12 AM »
Garland:

I remembered this thread only because Harbottle did a fairly high-profile course here in Madison, WI, that was once public (Hawk's Landing), but whose owners announced a year or so ago that it was "tood good of a course" to remain public and took it private. I haven't played it, but to me an interesting thing in comparing the two courses is how neat and manufactured and "pretty" Hawk's Landing looks, and how natural Dairy Creek looks -- it looks positively British in some respects, like one of those obscure UK courses that Sean Arble highlights. I like the look of Dairy Creek much better, particularly some of the simple green surrounds and his use of the lay of the land to maintain interesting tee shots and approaches.

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 09:05:11 AM »
The pictures here and on Garland B.'s thread remind me a bit of some the the inland English courses that Sean Arble has featured on this board over the couple of years. The course has an old-school look and seems to pretty much follow the lay of the land, which may not be "ideal" for all 18 holes. It makes the most of what is available, without having pushed much dirt around.   

It would be interesting to know what the construction budget was for this course. What year was it built? 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
Garland:

... I like the look of Dairy Creek much better, particularly some of the simple green surrounds and his use of the lay of the land to maintain interesting tee shots and approaches.

Amen to that. When I did the armchair contest, I eschewed bunkers to using the lay of the land for creating interest. Harbottle did it very well here. The course is far more memorable than Hunter Ranch. The most memorable hole at Hunter Ranch is memorable for its unplayability for the average golfer.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 11:08:13 AM »
It would be interesting to know what the construction budget was for this course. What year was it built? 

No idea on the construction budget, but it must have been completed in 1996, since the hole-in-one (see other thread) records begin in that year.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Yost

Re:Blind Opinions on a CA Municipal Course (pics)
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »
The fairways are quite munificent for a "muni"...

...  The attempt at tree and bush landscaping seems lacking in imagination...

The trees appear totally out of place given the surrounding landscape.  Looks like an after the fact addition.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back