News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

Roddy Ranch GC - Antioch, CA
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:07:59 AM »
I make a point of getting out to Roddy when the chance presents itself and the green fees are just right.

Well, this Sunday seemed quite appropriate with brrr temps in SF and $35 green fees  ;D .

Anyway, I'll be the first one to admit this course is not going to make anyone all goo goo and gaga but ... I think it's still a fun enough course to play.

Good wind, lots of elevation changes, wide open views (e.g. no homes) and a little quirk to go along with it.  I enjoy the routing as well.  It's also a course that offers some decent uphill greens.

It does have some weak points.  The bunkers are not very interesting and somewhat repetitive in look and feel, but they're still a challenge to get out of.  The greens can be slow and do not offer much in variation of challenge and undulation.  Being in the rough can make for a long day.  Tough course to walk from green to tee.  Drainage holes are somewhat annoying and "funnel" too much.  The par 3s are ho hum (except for perhaps the 13th).

But I have to say I keep coming back and I think it has to do with the bang for the buck and fun ratio.   Designed by J. Michael Poellot, Roddy needs a little love on GCA  ;D .  Does anyone know what else Mr. Poellot might have designed?  I'd curious to see what else he might have worked on with different terrain.

Holes that stand out for me:

No.1:  This par 5 isn't much except that I think the way the green sets up is probably one of the better ones on this course.

No.4:  This par 4 is elevated and dogleg's right.  I've seen this hole before elsewhere I think, but it always seems to shape well for my eyes.  The green sits on a slightly elevated shelf.  What I like about the tee shot are the options.  Very much a bite off as much as you want to chew.

No.5:  The quirk comes out on this hole.  From the tee, it doesn't look like there's any other option but a drop shot for no more than 260-270 yards.  But the long bombers can go for the blind shot left and either end up on the low or high side of the split fairway.

No.15:  This par 4 dogleg's uphill right and the green nestles onto a shelf.  I think what I like is the hole calls for two solid shots and well positioned for that matter.

No.18:  This is one tough par 5 to finish a round with ... but if you can pull if off ... getting home in two feels really cool  ;D .  Holding the green though can be tough.  The wind is usually to your back and the green shapes with little depth if you're going for it in two.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:45:39 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Kyle Henderson

Re: Roddy Ranch GC - Antioch, CA
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:41:59 AM »
Von Kiser,

I'm a big Roddy fan. I usually go for the weekday nooner special of $20 with cart.;D

The condition of the course has suffered greatly due to financial troubles (several ownership changes in less than ten years of operation), but most of the features still play appropriately. From tee to green, every hole is memorable with the exeption of maybe #7 and #17 (par 3's, the weak links as you noted). The manmade lakes on 10 and 14 are eye sores and ball magnets when the winds blow (as they normally do!!!). Nearly every hole dares you to challenge trouble for a hefty payoff or play safe for a small price. I give Roddy a solid Doak 6 on my personal scale.

The hole you refer to as #5 is actually #6, if I'm not mistaken. Downhill par 5, right?

#16 is one of the toughest par 4s anywhere at 448 yards into the (usually stiff) wind with an uphill approach!

#18 is a fun, often reachable par 5, but the landing zone for drives dumps just about everything into the left hand rough. The green is also much too shallow for long approaches, but playing out right and then pitching down the length of the green will yield low scores and happy vibes.

The course was designed by Bob Moore of JMP Golf Design. He also crafted a solid layout in Raleigh dubbed "The Heritage Club."
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:42:48 AM »
I'm a big fan of this course. I'm tired. More tomorrow!

Pictures don't really show big elevation drops on both of these holes. Friend on 12:

Me on 14:

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 01:53:05 AM »

The hole you refer to as #5 is actually #6, if I'm not mistaken. Downhill par 5, right?

Yep.  Got mixed up  ::) .

The site doesn't mention Bob Moore, so a good thing to bring some credit.

course architect

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »
I'm tired.

You've got reason to be tired...congrats on the State Am qualifier!  Conditions must have been brutal today with the winds!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Keenan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »
Patrick

I have played Roddy a few times and the one thing that stayed with me were the greens and how hard they were. It was quite hard to get a ball to hold on them. It took firm to a new level. I think one issue might be the wind that can come through drying them out.

It has been a couple of years since i was there but overall a nice course and the maintenance was good.

Thanks for posting this Roddy does deserve a bit more love or at the very least attention.

John

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Meant to respond to Kyle's post to also mention conditions are actually quite good right now.

I'm not sure if the greens were just aerated, but the greens felt somewhat slow.
course architect

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »
Put me down with John Keenan on this.. that is...

It has been a couple of years since i was there but overall a nice course and the maintenance was good.

I tended to prefer Shadow Lakes, right next door.. what say you all?

And hell yes congrats Matt you competitive golf stud.   ;D

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
I tended to prefer Shadow Lakes, right next door.. what say you all?

And hell yes congrats Matt you competitive golf stud.   ;D

Obviously Matt's elbow is recovering nicely  ;D .

As for Shadow Lakes, I played it last winter and it had to be one of the worst courses I've played on conditions wise.  Geese droppings everywhere and the greens a mess.  Maybe that's a winter thing there as well, since I'm sure the geese are looking for warmer conditions.

Course wise, Shadow Lakes does offer some challenging holes.  However, the housing actually prevents going for some aggressive lines.  Don't think I'll be returning unfortunately  :( .

I'm tempted to give Deer Ridge a try though.

course architect

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »
That's a bummer re Shadow Lakes.. I haven't been there for two years, but back then I played it many times.. and conditions were fantastic, in fact better than Roddy.  It also had more pure fun golf holes, houses or no houses... in fact I never felt the houses (though omnipresent) really encroached on play at all.  I sure would have never said the houses prevented aggressive lines.

In any case this is about Roddy... I was just curious if many played Shadow Lakes as it is right there.

I did NCGA rating at Deer Ridge, and it was pretty cool.  I'd say in the same quality as these other two - worth trying for sure.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
What I like about Roddy:

1. It's a big course with room to play golf.
2. It's very non-linear. No bowling lanes here.
3. The greens, as I've experienced, are generally hard and fast, and reasonably interesting.
4. The majority of teeshots, and all of the par-5 second shots, offer a variety of choices for line and distance.
5. It's attractive - good looking golf holes, long views, rolling hills, and almost no trees.
6. The green fees are usually a bargain. Two-for-one Mondays make it $30. Another day is $100 foursomes.

Favorite holes are 4 (huge fairway with a line of charm kind of thing), 9 and 12 (who doesn't like a good downhill teeshot?), and 14 (rollicking is a good word), but I like a lot of the others too. The 16th is really hard because the teeshot is into the wind to a straight-ahead, narrow fairway, from a very elevated tee. It's just hard to keep it online.

I think the par-3's probably could be slightly better. Number 3 is fine, 7 is OK but pretty much the same shot every time, 13 is almost too hard from the back tees (230 carry in the wind with a drop-off right), and 17 is fine.

I agree that 18 is a little frustrating because it's almost impossible for a long drive not to end up in the left rough. Then you're playing downwind to a shallow green over a bunker from 225. One could lay up right, but who really wants to lay up on the last hole of the day when you can reach the green with a hybrid?

As far as Shadow Lakes, apparently the new owners are really - I should say, this is second hand info from a person who would know - cheap in regards to the golf course. Money is taken out of the course and not put back into it. They've advertised super-low green fees, so the course has been very crowded but the maintenance has not increased so the conditions get rougher and rougher.

I really used to enjoy Shadow Lakes. It was pleasant, always in great condition, and offered a chance to make some birdies and have fun without using as much mental energy as one would at Roddy. But at this point, with Shadow Lakes in iffy condition and Roddy across the street, it's hard to imagine playing Shadow again until something changes, even though I've enjoyed my previous experiences there.

As far as Deer Ridge, it's about as good as Shadow layout wise, but apparently in much better condition these days. I think it's one Doak point lower than Roddy. It has some interesting holes, but also some pretty plain ones.

At this point I'd probably split 10 rounds 8 Roddy, 1 Shadow, 1 Deer. In the past I would have said 6 Roddy, 4 Shadow.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 11:09:47 AM »
Matt:

Thanks.  I had heard things were getting bad at Shadow Lakes with the new owners.. but man reading it from you guys really bums me out.  I really did like that course... I would have put it more 6 SL, 4 Roddy... but I get what you are saying now.  That is very sad.

How about throwing Brentwood CC into the mix?  I found all three nines there to be decent enough... they sure do have a mass quantity of golf way out there....

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
Never played Brentwood. I saw the feature article in the Golf Guide a while back and it didn't look as interesting as the others. There's also Lone Tree not too far away - same deal there.

BTW thanks everyone regarding the qualifier. It was a challenging day, especially waiting 2.5 hours to see if I'd even have a chance at a playoff. I really blew it at the end of regulation, and was very lucky to get a second chance, but I also couldn't have played the playoff hole any better. Elbow is good enough for one round - I guess we'll see about two!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »
Never played Brentwood. I saw the feature article in the Golf Guide a while back and it didn't look as interesting as the others. There's also Lone Tree not too far away - same deal there.

BTW thanks everyone regarding the qualifier. It was a challenging day, especially waiting 2.5 hours to see if I'd even have a chance at a playoff. I really blew it at the end of regulation, and was very lucky to get a second chance, but I also couldn't have played the playoff hole any better. Elbow is good enough for one round - I guess we'll see about two!

Excellent stuff my friend.  A silver-haired groupie of yours had described your playoff heroics to a bunch of us via email.  Very, very well done.

Re Brentwood, I'd say it too is worth playing, as is Lone Tree... but put them definitely lower priority than Roddy or what Shadow Lakes used to be.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
I believe the Troon group previously managed SL and that's probably why several of us have fonder memories for how they kept the course in shape.
course architect

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
I believe the Troon group previously managed SL and that's probably why several of us have fonder memories for how they kept the course in shape.

Troon Golf - correct.  One of my best college buds worked for the home developer who built the homes you found in the way of aggressive lines... in fact he did all the infrastructure work for the golf course.... Thus I played it many many times, quite a few before it opened. Man you shoulda seen that course with NO HOUSES at all... now that was cool.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
Which holes? Definitely 8 - any others?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
Which holes? Definitely 8 - any others?

Not sure what you are asking about - Shadow Lakes?  Which holes were cooler without houses?  Hell, the answer to that would be ALL of them....

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 11:45:46 AM »
LOL. On which holes do houses at Shadow Lakes interfere with aggressive lines?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 11:50:51 AM »
LOL. On which holes do houses at Shadow Lakes interfere with aggressive lines?

Aha.  Well that was Patrick. I don't really get that either... even about #8.   Man putting houses in play there takes aggressive to a level I sure don't understand.  But I guess that is the closest thing.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 11:54:55 AM »

Troon Golf - correct.  One of my best college buds worked for the home developer who built the homes you found in the way of aggressive lines... in fact he did all the infrastructure work for the golf course.... Thus I played it many many times, quite a few before it opened. Man you shoulda seen that course with NO HOUSES at all... now that was cool.

Yep.  That's what suckered me into trying it out in the first place.  Their website still shows a wide open course with clear views.  I guess I should have Googled the satellite view.

There were a couple of doglegs where I felt I just couldn't go for an aggressive line for fear of a mishit.  The straightaway holes are not a problem in that regard.

One hole I really just did not care for on SL was that island green PD wannabee.  I think it's the 16th ''signature hole''.  Why does this kind of hole persist?  It seems to me with the topo at SL they could have something much more creative.

About the 14th at RR...  I'm a little surprised to hear this one coming up as one of the favorite holes there.  Everyone knows how I'm not a big water fan, but that aside if you go a little long on this hole ... there's a good chance it's gone bye bye.  Balls will bounce off the cart path and over the wired fence (into OB I presume).  If you're going to miss your shot, you have to go right I'd say and if that happens ... good luck finding your ball.  Two guys in my foursome ended up there and lost their ball.  If you do find your ball on the right downhill slope rough, you better hit a quality recovery shot.  Otherwise, you're into that pond.  For these reasons, it's not one of my favorites.  I usually do well on it, but I've seen too many others just take a beating on that hole.  I don't feel it plays out well for different HDCP levels.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:08:15 PM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »
One hole I really just did not care for on SL was that island green PD wannabee.

No clue what hole you are talking about, as there are no island greens... 17 does jut quite out into the water.. but it's not close to being an island.  And it's a very strong golf hole.. or at least was... my info is dated.

Mike Benham

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
Roddy Ranch is not convenient for all in the Bay Area unfortunately ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »

Yeah, none of these courses are... in fact it is quite the pain to get out there from anywhere on SF peninsula no matter which way you go.

Still... it is good golf at a good price... something one does tend to have to travel for in our area.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »

Yeah, none of these courses are... in fact it is quite the pain to get out there from anywhere on SF peninsula no matter which way you go.

Still... it is good golf at a good price... something one does tend to have to travel for in our area.

Delta View and Lone Tree are also close by and good value propositions as well.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back