News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Raphael_Larson

Re: Opening day Old Macdonald
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
what is the logo Eric?

Here are some photos of the logo on the preview scorecard and on a hat...

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
What strikes me is the significant difference between the regular and short tees - about 500 yards for 9 holes.   That would make the short tees about 6000 yards and regular would be about 7000 yards???

Jed Peters

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
The greens are big and will HELP play. There is no rough--you will not lose a ball--and the length and greens are the defenses.

We played the 10 holes in around 2 hours with a 5 some playing slowly.

It's the best 10 holes of golf at the resort.

And I took 4 bucks off Grant, which made it all the more sweet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:21:00 PM by Jed Peters »

Ian_L

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »
There is no rough--you will not loose a ball--

I gotta get up there. ;D

Robert Thompson

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2009, 11:29:12 PM »
What strikes me is the significant difference between the regular and short tees - about 500 yards for 9 holes.   That would make the short tees about 6000 yards and regular would be about 7000 yards???

The tees are not all that different from what Doak and Urbina did at Sebonack or Pacific -- in other words, not particularly defined. I'd imagine the actualy yardage woudl be variable.

As for the concerns about the greens -- I found them too slow when I played it opening day. But I wouldn't want to push them much above 10. I spoke at length with Jim when I was on site and he understands that -- as I assume, would Mr. Keiser's crew.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Tim Bert

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2009, 12:19:22 AM »
In - can't wait!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »
Looks like there are what - 4+ guys on the tee sheet thus far for opening day - we should organize a beverage at the 19th later in the afternoon.

I know it is a lot to ask, but maybe Jim or Tom would be okay with stopping by for a couple minutes to share some insights and answer questions from the group??? They'll probably need a pint or two after standing on the first tee and shaking hands all day. Actually, they'll probably be questioned out at that point. Disregard.

Tim Bert

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »
Looks like there are what - 4+ guys on the tee sheet thus far for opening day - we should organize a beverage at the 19th later in the afternoon.

I know it is a lot to ask, but maybe Jim or Tom would be okay with stopping by for a couple minutes to share some insights and answer questions from the group??? They'll probably need a pint or two after standing on the first tee and shaking hands all day. Actually, they'll probably be questioned out at that point. Disregard.

More preferably Jim and Tom will join us all for some alternate shot action at 6:00 PM after the big crowds have gone through.  There's time for dinner and drinks at 10:00 after the sun goes down.

Richard Choi

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2009, 01:00:27 AM »
Whether or not Jim or Tom joins us, we should definitely have a GCA dinner. You figure by next year, there may be quite a few more people signed up. I am planning to be there from Sun through Wed.

Tim Bert

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »
I will be arriving Sat evening playing golf Sun through Wed. Preference for dinner would be Monday (night before opening day) unless dinner will be late (10:00) as we have evening rounds planned the other days.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
Ditto on Sunday to Wednesday

ed_getka

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2009, 11:03:20 PM »
  A GCA dinner will be a great way to kick off the opening. Our foursome of GCA'ers will be there for at least 3 days. I'm hoping George Bahto and Brad Klein will be there for opening day also.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ash Towe

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2009, 03:28:59 AM »
I wonder how long it will take for those people who have played the preview 10 holes to get back to see the full 18.

George_Bahto

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »
"I'm hoping George Bahto and Brad Klein will be there for opening day also."

Ed, I'm sure I'll be there
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tim Bert

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
I just want to make sure everyone is planning to ride in a cart for this...

ed_getka

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2009, 07:41:41 AM »
"I'm hoping George Bahto and Brad Klein will be there for opening day also."

Ed, I'm sure I'll be there

Excellent.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
I just want to make sure everyone is planning to ride in a cart for this...

Very funny, your tee times have been revoked! ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2009, 08:03:21 AM »
I am starting to realize that one of the reasons this idea is so popular is that it allows people to talk or write about the ideas behind the individual golf holes.

Think about how seldom that happens for most new courses.  They're described in general terms; then someone picks a "signature hole" that's best to photograph so they can use the same hole for all the advertising and establish a brand identity.  Tom Fazio never talks about the ideas behind any of his holes or why he is excited about them ... he just talks about "the owner's commitment to quality."

The writer of the piece above didn't actually meet with me or Jim, he must've been there when we weren't, and been given something I wrote a long time ago about where the holes came from.  I deduce this from the fact that he cited the 4th hole at Scotscraig as the model for #7 ... that WAS going to be the model for that hole before we decided to move the green onto the dune.  But, the fact that I could cite specific models for the holes (whether or not our versions are very similar to the originals, like the Eden hole, or very different, like the Biarritz) gives the writers a "way in" to discuss the individual holes on some level more than what they look like.  And I just realized how rare that is.

It probably worked for C.B. Macdonald back in the day, too.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
This might sound stupid but: is it only a 10 hole course?

ed_getka

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
Philippe,
   It just isn't finished yet. 10 holes are currently being available to some degree while the course is completed.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2009, 09:17:27 AM »
Mr. Binette;

Seven of the eight remaining holes have been finished and seeded, among them the eden (#2), the redan (#12), the alps (#16), the punchbowl (#18).

The completed course will open June 2010.

Tom
the pres

Tim Bert

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »
Tom

Which is the last that has not been finished and seeded and what is the timing.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »
Tim;

The last hole to complete and seed is #18, the punchbowl.  As far as I know that work will be complete within the first week of May.

Tom
the pres

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back