News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re: Ballyhack photos, 4th set for 2009 added 18MAY
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2009, 08:40:16 AM »
Today's set:

Lester George

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting these as always.

As a reminder, the white you see in the bunkers is the fabric.  The actual bunker sand is a native river sand that is brown and can be seen in the shot of number 12.

Lester

Nick Church

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »
Thanks for keeping these pictures coming.

I love the look.  And though I'm proud that I came back from a 41 stroke front nine to finish with a 78.... somehow, I still don't think I'd have enough game for Ballyhack day in & day out.  Judging soley from the pictures (obviously) it strikes me as similar to Olde Stone in KY... a great course to tackle, but not for your handicap or ego.

Feel free to correct my assumptions... maybe you can point out what features or considerations lend it to members who will call Ballyhack "home"?

Ken Fry

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »
Lester,

Congratulations on what looks like an outstanding project.  I'll be in the area the first week in August visiting my parents at Smith Mountain Lake.  I'm hoping to stop by just to see the amazing vistas of this course first hand!

Ken

Carl Nichols

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 10:58:42 PM »
Scott,

As a reminder, the white you see in the bunkers is the fabric.  The actual bunker sand is a native river sand that is brown and can be seen in the shot of number 12.

Lester

Lester:
Thanks for that reminder.  In earlier posts I questioned why you had included some of the bunkers (including, I think, on the hill to the left of the 18th fairway); I suspect that native sand, rather than what looked like white sand, will make them look at lot less obtrusive/manufactured. 

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2009, 12:52:49 AM »
Scott,

Lester

Thank you for pointing this out. I was about to complain about the arena blanco. Otherwise, Ballyhack looks to be outstanding. I hope to taste the fruits of your labor some day, Mr. George.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 05:12:32 AM »
Geez Lester, it looks like substantial progress in the grow in since I was there just 12 days ago!

Raynor bunkering???  This is a modern golf course on a mountainous site.  It pays excellent tribute to the setting, not trying to be something it isn't.  The scale of the place is about as anti-Raynor as you can get.

The bunker detaining is off the map.  The slit bunker cut into the hillside on one looks like a natural slough-off.  I've never seen that simulated in my life.  It's highly creative although God forbid the poor sap that finds it.  My only concern after surveying with Jonathan Ireland all 18 holes is that the poor superintendent is going to have his work cut out for him, especially after a thunderstorm.

JC

Lester George

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2009, 09:10:31 AM »
Nick,

I think most days at Ballyhack will be kind to the ego if you are playing well.  It really looks harder than it is.  However, when the wind blows, Ballyhack will be less than kind, which to me is the intriguing part of it.

Ken,

I hope you will call me with comments.

Carl,

The brown native sand is going in and looks really good.  White sand would have been a mistake in my mind.  The bunkers on the hill to the left of 18 will eventually grow over with grass as they are supposed to more look like animal burrows than bunkers.  I'll try to get a better picture of them in the next post.

Jonathan,

The slit bunker, as you call it will end up being one of the most natural looking.  It already has two names.  Serpent and Scour. Having seen it, which do you like?

Yes the bunker faces are large and steep, but I really think after this year the sand will migrate and settle to where it wants to and we will adjust the edges from there.  Remember, they are "blowouts" and therefore should have loosely defined edges.  Besides, in Billy Bobbitt, we have one of the best supers in the business.  He worked previously at Kinloch and The Old White and has had outstanding results at both places.  His direction from this group of owners is "firm and fast" and we MEAN IT.  We are not concerned with lush and green.  To truly have the experience of all of the "ground game" we built into Ballyhack, it has to be fast.  He knows we won't give in to "water more so the grass is green".  That, ultimately, is one of the reasons I think Ballyhack will be different.

Lester

Kalen Braley

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »
This entire photo series has been one of the best threads on GCA.com in my opinion.  Being able to see before, during, and after pics has just been invaluable to an armchair enthusiast like myslef. The course is looking fantastic and appears to have a quite a bit of width to offset some of the other trouble to be found when your not in the short stuff.

Lester, by the looks of these photos, sure looks like you have plenty of reasons to be a proud papa.

Gratz.

Kalen

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2009, 06:10:22 PM »
Lester - to steal from PVGC you may consider calling that slit bunker - the DAH's angry uncle!

Scott_Burroughs

Re: Ballyhack photos, 5th set for 2009 added 22MAY
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2009, 08:53:10 AM »
#1:

#7:

#10:

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 12:18:06 PM »
3 more:

Lester George

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for posting the pics.

Well gentlemen, we are in the final stages of grow-in and moving on to playing.  Coach Beamer has invited guests this Saturday and I suppose we will have limited member rounds on Sunday and beyond. 

I'll get some opening day pictures with flags and signage and such.  Thank all of you for your continued interest in Ballyhack and I hope you will all come see it in person.   

Cheers,

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back