News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

Ojai Lost Holes
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:53:36 PM »
The latest KP was a great opportunity for those that attended to get a chance to review the Ojai course in all its early days splendor vs. today.

It was great to see Tommy in action going over the changes and to the extent possible explain why some of the changes occured.

Good stuff...

Anyway, some of these holes are completely restorable and I find it somewhat surprising why some have not been restored given the attention it has had.  One would think the pedigree there would warrant the effort.

So the fun question is which holes do we think could be restored and of those which would we most appreciate.

For me, there's no question the 13th comes first to mind.  OMG what a hole that was!!!  Great set of options and very sporting.  Someone said it reminded them of a Riviera hole, but I don't recall which hole that was (10th perhaps? - certainly seems like it from an approach standpoint).

There's no reason why that hole could not be restored to its former glory.  I should think they could get creative with the cart pathing.

So what are some of your thoughts out there on this?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:14:02 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Sean Leary

Re: Ojai Lost Holes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
Would the routing get messed up by restoring the holes?

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »
Would the routing get messed up by restoring the holes?

For a full restoration ... yes.  The 1st comes to mind for instance.

I was thinking more in terms of holes that could be recovered / restored without changing the routing so much.  I think the 13th would qualify in that sense.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Damon Groves

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
The current routing has the nines reversed with the current back nine on the open land with the lost holes being currently 16 and 17. Originally the first hole went down across where the new set of rooms are (kind of in the area of current number 13) and then number two was on the same land as the current number 15 par 5. Then number 3 (now 16) and number 4 (now 17) and number 5 (now 18). You came back up the hill on number 6 which is covered by rooms and then back down the hill on number 7 (now 10), to number 8 (now 11) and then nine (now 12). You then went to the back nine (current front nine) and number 10 (now 1) had an opening tee shot down to the left from the current tee and was a dog leg par 5. The rest of the routing is intact with the main changes being a shortened number 15 (now 6) where the original tee was back across the creek and number 16 (now 7) having the green closer to the creek running across.

With the above in mind they could easily restore the old tee on number 15 (current 6), return the green to the original location on number 16 (now 7) and rework numbers 16 (now 3) and 17 (now 4) to a true restoration of the lost holes. However, given the property and buildings I do not see them ever being able to put back the original number 10 (now 1) nor number 1 (now sort of 13) or original number 6. You would then have at least 15 of the original 18 back.

Regardless even in its current form it is a great course that is a ton of fun to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back